Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 11:52 AM
Default Career branching and variations.
Sims3 did introduce a neat feature with careers: two branches in quite a few careers, giving sims the choice what path to persue.

I'd like to see them develop this a little bit further for sims4, providing choices for every career.

-Millitairy.
Millitairy shouldnt always end with being an astronaut. Should have another branch that ends with the position of general. Maybe airforce branch ending with astronaut and land forces end with general. Maybe a third marine branch could be included even that ends with becomeing admiral.

-Sports.
As I mentioned in another thread, sports should have variations. multible team sports each with their own sport skill linked to it. Wouldnt need branching, just variations.

-Business
Business is also something that should have variations instead of branches. Allowing multible offices around town even, different work locations.
There could be a big powerfull ruthless corporation that pays well but does some unsavory things for which sims employed in this business might be punished for.
There could also be a commercial agency business that requires their employees to be creative. this can allow for some interesting business opportunities.
And lastly there could be a good and idealistic corporation to counter the evil one. Payment would be less but sims would feel better about themselves working there.

-Laboratory.
Mad scientist is a rather odd thing to aspire to, I would suggest having an experimental branch for the crazy stuff and a respecteable normal branch.
The first one would focus on crazy things, and the normal branch would focus on improving everyday life.
Maybe both could bring some interesting career rewards to present this. Like the experimental branch giving things like a potion that turns a sim into a supersim, teleportation pads, hovercars and other stuff like that with the normal branch giving stuff like handsfree phones, solar powered cars and cures for diseases.

-Music.
I'd advice completely seperating symphonic and rockstar branches into seperate careers.
All instruments in the game should be useable for these careers, if expansions add new instruments these careers should be updated to include them. Some instruments could be exclusive to one branch where it makes sense.
Never heard of a flute playing rockstar after all.
Sims could go to a try out for either a smalltime band or a background musician, requiring a skill point in a musical instrument to apply for that position. The more instruments they have played with, the more options you could have to try out for.
Once hired, their career title could be displayed first with their position behind it.
Example: Grand symphony orchestra member. (violin player.)
Work outfits could be the same, it just allows all instruments to be used for it.

-Law enforcement.
Works quite alright in sims3, though I'd add a third branch.
The three branches could be: Phorensic, police force and intelligence.
Phorensic speaks for itself. work in the crime lab, research the scene of the crime and all that. Police force branch could include joining a SWAT team before eventually becomeing the leader of the entire police force.
Intelligence branch is for undercover agents, spies, secret agents and such. Could end with being some sort of james bond.

Overall I'd also suggest letting age play a role in careers a bit. Why would superstar athletes become a coach, trainer or such while they are still in their prime? they'd be too valuable as a player for that. Such positions could become available once they are middle aged. Same could apply to all jobs that are very physical.

Reaching the top should also be less of a goal. I'd even like the chance to refuse promotions. As in sims3, they could expand on getting pay raises and perhaps other bonuses as well for doing a good job. Reaching for the top could be more a thing for ambitious sims. Sims should be capable of having the dream to reach a mid tier career because they want to be that, they could not even want to advance further since then its not their dream job anymore.

A sim could be very happy just being a nurse for example, taking care of people and wouldnt want to become a doctor.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:41 PM
I support this idea to prevent repetition with careers. You can never have enough options.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:54 PM
Exactly! I figured this might just be that little step extra to continue what they started with sims3.
Alchemist
#4 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One

-Music.

Never heard of a flute playing rockstar after all.

You hurt Ian Anderson's feelings.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 6:42 PM
I like these ideas a lot. The career branching was something I really enjoyed in Sims 3 and I hope they bring it back.

Not really big on the idea of a career being limited due to age, though. I play with aging off a lot and I wouldn't want to have to force my sim to age up just to fulfill their lifetime want, or whatever TS4's equivalent would be. The best thing for that, IMO, would be to have these types of careers as separate things, that could be applied for when a sim is the right age. Like the teen and elder jobs in TS2.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 7:50 PM
I totally agree! TS3 did great in terms of variations of jobs, but it would be awesome to have different jobs within a certain career, as well.

What I also really want are the job questions that would pop up in TS2. You know; X, Y or do nothing. I loved those!
Inventor
#7 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 11:18 PM
Jethro Tull is considered rock, right?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Alchemist
#8 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 11:27 PM