Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 6:09 PM
Default OFB Marketing
What I do to keep track of my sims finances is putting it into spreadsheets. Most of the time templates I altered myself.
Today, when looking for some other templates, I came accross the cost for marketing.
But can you spent money on marketing in an owned business in OFB?
Or does someone has an idea to make it look like the sim spends money on marketing (on a website, magazines, newspaper, tabloids, television,...?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 9:19 PM
This is really a chat topic, so I will move it to chat for you.

My only idea would be to paint or draw a picture using custom paintings.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
This is really a chat topic, so I will move it to chat for you.

My only idea would be to paint or draw a picture using custom paintings.

That's a great idea.
A sim can paint or draw it and sell it to the business owner.
I can make a marketing business that way

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 11:49 PM
Deco signs and such could perhaps count? Basically the cost for the different signs:
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 6:35 AM
That's something I can count in the budget, but I am looking for things like flyers and advertising.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 10:04 AM
The cost of entertaining the business reporter? Take him/her to dine at a top downtown venue, and claim it as a business expense. You can do the same for customers.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
The cost of entertaining the business reporter? Take him/her to dine at a top downtown venue, and claim it as a business expense. You can do the same for customers.

Business diner is a good idea.
How do I recognise the business reporter? Is that the sim who gives a good or bad review?
Maybe I can take out my employees for a trip and have a team building activity in the mountains (not advertising I know, but I like the idea).

Forum Resident
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 2:03 PM
Does window dressing fit. I fix up shop windows with mannequins and clutter to draw the punters in. But since these are just clutter, they brIng in no money and are just a business expense. You could also send emails (or phone) customers. It takes up your time for no monetary reward, but it improves relationships and makes them easier to sell to. If you send e-mails to playable sims, it's like advertising spam.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Does window dressing fit. I fix up shop windows with mannequins and clutter to draw the punters in. But since these are just clutter, they brIng in no money and are just a business expense. You could also send emails (or phone) customers. It takes up your time for no monetary reward, but it improves relationships and makes them easier to sell to. If you send e-mails to playable sims, it's like advertising spam.

I do send e-mails and I can invite them over to the shop by phone.
I never ever use clutter (for graphic reasons), but maybe I can do that a bit for marketing.
But in game I'm looking more for advertising towards customers outside the community lot or home business. The sims who don't come to the store and letting them know the store exists.
But except for flyers (by mail or e-mail) I don't really know how to reach the regular sim.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 3:04 PM
Perhaps a mail some sort of mod that allows a sim to send postcards (by pretending they're actually flyers) throughout all residents in their mailboxes and would be beneficial If sending one costed money. You can also try to convince more new customers to come by chatting onto the computer until high relationship than invite them through a phone call. Of course, that doesn't cost a thing, but what I would do is manually shrink the money by simply using a paintbrush under an obscure area like under the foundation of the building or overlap with the same paint the yard is already brushed with.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 3:35 PM
**lurks to learn serious business**
I have never considered to take OFB marketing seriously before but---HOW ABOUT you throw an opening party at your business? Invite your friends, and let them invite their friends while the business is open. Let the customers have some fun while getting quality service.

This could be a periodic thing like an Anniversary party to boost up your customer relationship and boosting your community lot reputation (freebies and more connections!)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
**lurks to learn serious business**
I have never considered to take OFB marketing seriously before but---HOW ABOUT you throw an opening party at your business? Invite your friends, and let them invite their friends while the business is open. Let the customers have some fun while getting quality service.

This could be a periodic thing like an Anniversary party to boost up your customer relationship and boosting your community lot reputation (freebies and more connections!)

That's a great idea!
Having a party at the community lot and invite my friends (customers become friends or aquintances when mailing from time to time).

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 10:04 PM
Using Phae's phone book randomly ring up sims that you don't know and have a phone conversation with them. (telemarketing)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 11:15 PM
The party thing sounds great. Price everything at low, and use "Rally Forth" and you got yourself "Black Friday" sales. With the television advertising, you can make commercials using the in-game video and put them on the TV if you really want to market intensively. But got to admit, that's a lot of work.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
How do I recognise the business reporter? Is that the sim who gives a good or bad review?
Yes, that's the one. They can sometimes be recognised by taking a notebook out to take notes instead of buying things. Jo says they can also often be recognised by their bad fashion sense. Blake Yang, in our Veronaville, who writes reviews for the Sim City Chronicle and the Veronaville Courant is arguably one of the most unpleasant Sims in my whole game; he is the bane of the lives of Veronaville business owners. He wears one KnightSkyKyte's "Pretty Boy" along with an unattractive Maxis hairstyle and a surly disposition to match his hair. Good luck to any business owner who can make him amenable by wining and dining him!
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
Maybe I can take out my employees for a trip and have a team building activity in the mountains (not advertising I know, but I like the idea).
@Justpetro has business owners who do that for their workers. Downside is I believe you can get sacked for missing the staff outing!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 11:55 PM
reporter who spawned in my medieval game! he looked worse before I defaulted his hair.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 1:19 AM
Lol her too, some townies are wearing defaults the others like Christy I am trying to get to my tailor/hairdresser to give makeover too. I could just grab them with gussy up but I don't wan't to do that here. The firewood/timber shop sure does attract a lot of male sims... and Christy in her modern pink tracksuit.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 1:37 AM
Here are some old pictures of an extreme example of a badly dressed shopper from one of my Bluewater Villages. "Bad fashion sense" is putting it mildly!

I left her that way because it's easier to know when she visits a business and because she makes me laugh.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#19 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 7:19 AM
Maybe buy some deco billboards and then gift them to other sims and place them on that sim's lot? Like the sides of buildings IRL would have adverts on. Or gift the item to a townie and then place them on unowned community lots.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 8:14 PM
These are all great ideas guys. I know what to play now.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 9:16 PM
I got of an idea: Start a home business at your residential lot, but close it with the open/close sign (unless you have already established a venue/shop and/or don't mind the random idiots to invade your yard/house). Then hire an employee to just wander around the lot or while doing something useful such as 'tidying up' the lot or just slacking off, whilst their dressed up with a fitting assigned uniform/costume with the outfit to give out the illusion that they're promoting and marketing the respective commercial cooperation as a mascot of the associated iconic character, while they are in actually being paid for doing nothing or just talking to while bumping into walk-bys.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 5:37 AM
That's a good idea. To pay someone to walk around to make publicity.
Maybe i can create tshirts with a logo on it.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 2:41 AM
Another, but very simple marketing idea woul be just installing ticket machibe on your home, run it and allow customers to test out products for the shop you wanna promote, such as like electronics to persuade them into checking out the X store and decide to consider buying something from there. Of course, this is just for storyline roleplaying sakes and doesn't impact the gameplay.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 8:22 AM
Also for storyplaying I can let a sim participate in a cooking competition with the stuff she/ makes in a bakery or catering business. Or give out free samples of cupcakes as a publicity stunt.

Thanks to your ideas some new ideas popup.

Thank you all.