Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#10726 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 6:09 PM
The proposing sim offers it at the beginning of the proposal scene, and as the music dies, before they hug, the accepting sim takes it out of the box, puts it on his finger, and holds his hand out to admire it.

Was that the answer to what you were asking?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#10727 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 6:38 PM
Does the Sim that proposes even get a ring? (My two playable Sims in college are my only playables at the moment. From what I can tell the Sim that proposed doesn't have a ring, the Sim he proposed to does have her ring, which she got in the cut scene. Its been one semester since he proposed, and he still doesn't have a ring (I'm not sure how that would relate to in terms of days in a normal hood.)
just a girl
#10728 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Pull notownierespawn out of your game if you have it, and then send a playable sim to check into a hotel at a vacation destination. This should force the game to spawn all tourists. It doesn't matter what size hotel you use since the game seems to spawn all of the tourists at the same time and not just the ones needed to occupy empty hotel rooms. With clean templates in, the game won't ever autospawn tourists unless you nudge it this way.

This nudging might not be enough. At least that's what I remember from my experience with clean templates. My families were always alone in hotels, and I've tried to pull out noregen mods.
Mad Poster
#10729 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
This nudging might not be enough. At least that's what I remember from my experience with clean templates. My families were always alone in hotels, and I've tried to pull out noregen mods.

Yes, that's why I said it "should" work. Usually having someone check into a hotel is enough to push my game into spawning tourists. Once or twice it didn't work for some reason and I'm still not sure what the problem was.
Mad Poster
#10730 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Does the Sim that proposes even get a ring? (My two playable Sims in college are my only playables at the moment. From what I can tell the Sim that proposed doesn't have a ring, the Sim he proposed to does have her ring, which she got in the cut scene. Its been one semester since he proposed, and he still doesn't have a ring (I'm not sure how that would relate to in terms of days in a normal hood.)

In my game, both Sims get the diamond ring. And no smobie1, I was asking about the sim that does the proposing, not the sim they propose to Looking back at screenshots none of the proposing Sims have a ring in the screenshots following the proposing, but they all have one eventually. Hard to tell how soon it shows up, because apparently my screenshots rarely show the left hand of the sim.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#10731 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 7:28 PM
I think I rarely have engagements long enough to notice when the proposing sim might get a ring. I need to play more uni students...
Instructor
#10732 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:47 PM
So I'm experiencing a pretty weird bug and can't find anything when I google it, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows what could be going on. I moved Dirk, Lilith and their son into one apartment in a block, and Angela, Dustin and their daughter into a different apartment in the same block. Played Angela and Dustin for a few days, that was fine. Switched to the other household and realised Dirk and Lilith already had enough money for a house, so I moved them out of the apartment and into a house then played them for a few days. Went back to play Angela and Dustin later on, and the apartment next door is completely visible, as though it's part of the same house. I can see Dirk and Lilith inside the apartment, and they're acting completely normal (mostly just making out and WooHooing ) but the apartment shows as vacant, and they definitely don't live there anymore.

Does anyone have any idea what's happened here, and how I can fix it? I'm worried about playing that household now in case I somehow mess things up further.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Mad Poster
#10733 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:55 PM
This happens all the time when sims move out of an apartment. Delete the ghosts with move_objects and you'll be right as rain again.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#10734 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
This happens all the time when sims move out of an apartment. Delete the ghosts with move_objects and you'll be right as rain again.

Alright thanks! Just worried me because I'd never seen it before and couldn't find anything when searching.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Lab Assistant
#10735 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Has anyone noticed when the proposing Sim gets their engagement ring? In tests they aren't getting it during the interaction itself, so I'm wondering when it actually shows up.

Not super helpful, but I noticed my most recent sim that proposed didn't have her engagement ring until she returned from taking a spin in the car (same day as the proposal). She didn't have a ring before she left, but as soon as she was back home and got out of the car, I saw it was on her finger. I'm not sure if it was a matter of a certain amount of time passing, or if it had something to do with leaving the lot and returning?
Mad Poster
#10736 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

Alternately, moving another family in there usually boots out the ghosts. Moveobjects is easier though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10737 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Synergy
Not super helpful, but I noticed my most recent sim that proposed didn't have her engagement ring until she returned from taking a spin in the car (same day as the proposal). She didn't have a ring before she left, but as soon as she was back home and got out of the car, I saw it was on her finger. I'm not sure if it was a matter of a certain amount of time passing, or if it had something to do with leaving the lot and returning?

I should think leaving the lot and returning forced a texture update. That's what often happens.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#10738 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 12:04 AM
That's interesting. After they graduated, I moved them into a lot into the main hood, and the male Sim's engagement ring finally showed up. He never had it the whole time he was in college, but he had it the minute I loaded their lot in the main hood. I think the people talking about moving lots or leaving and coming back may be on to something.
Field Researcher
#10739 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by a_az13_a
So I'm experiencing a pretty weird bug and can't find anything when I google it, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows what could be going on. I moved Dirk, Lilith and their son into one apartment in a block, and Angela, Dustin and their daughter into a different apartment in the same block. Played Angela and Dustin for a few days, that was fine. Switched to the other household and realised Dirk and Lilith already had enough money for a house, so I moved them out of the apartment and into a house then played them for a few days. Went back to play Angela and Dustin later on, and the apartment next door is completely visible, as though it's part of the same house. I can see Dirk and Lilith inside the apartment, and they're acting completely normal (mostly just making out and WooHooing ) but the apartment shows as vacant, and they definitely don't live there anymore.

Yeah that's so common I'm surprised you couldn't find anything about it. I usually use "fix bad apartment residencies" on batbox, or go into the memories of the recently moved out sims and remove their "apartment resident" and/or "hotel key" tokens, depending on what got left behind. The game just doesn't clear these properly when sims leave apartments - that includes non-playable townies who leave when you move in a playable family too.

I sometimes get stuck "hotel key" tokens after dormies move out too - or maybe it's "door key", I can't remember. Not sure if it happens with actual hotels though.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Forum Resident
#10740 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 2:47 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 24th Nov 2017 at 7:47 AM. Reason: clarity
One of my Sims wants to influence someone to write her term paper, but that isn't an option on any of the Sims she tries. I'm trying to google for an answer, but while attempting I figured I'd ask you guys. Do any of you know what the requirements are for it to show up? According to wiki it requires 2500 points, which she has. For example, does the other Sim have to be in the same major?)

Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
Try having your sim start writing their term paper. Once they get it going, cancel out the action and direct them to Influence another YA to finish it. The same process works for assignments. I personally have problems with getting the Influence action to work on uncontrolled dormies, it just seems to drop out of their queue. But I can get it to work on other playables. I seem to remember it working once up on a time, I just haven't taken time to see what might be causing the issue with dormies. (I use Squinge's Mega College Pack myself and this is the way I have to do it whether the YA is attending college in the main hood or in a uni subhood.)

Thanks Devon, I appreciate the feedback I found the problem. I was getting names confused, the interaction included in Squinge's pack is the write term paper test, not the influence test. It doesn't enable influence interaction on non-university lots, and this YA lives in bluewater village, so that's why it's not showing up for me.

Devon Aster's correct that you can't influence anyone to write a term paper if your own sim has not already at least barely started it---just like no other sim can do your student's HW for them if no HW object has been generated. So your sim always has to at least sit down and start the term paper (I usually get them to 1%) before they can influence anyone on campus.
EDIT: At least with Squinge's Mega College Pack, it's looking like the above isn't necessary on Maxis computers for YAs in the main hood. However, it's possible that it is still necessary if the only computer type on the lot is cc, such as Monique's computer; see the end of this later post in this thread, as well as gummilutt's follow-up with the details of a bit of testing she'd done. Testing still needed.

gummi, you are correct that this is a documented issue with Squinge's pack: students don't have the option to influence anyone to write term papers when they are attending college in the main hood. I would love to know whether @Devon Aster has any mods that enable this, if it's definitely the case that their main-hood-uni sims can Influence to Write Term Paper.
Edit: This is no longer be an issue if you have Squinge's College Interactions on Any Lot dated September 11, 2014 or newer. See posts further down this thread for details, starting here. Most important, check this post to find out why you might surprisingly not have the updated version of CIAL either, *even if you started using the Mega College Pack after September 2014!*

Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
I've found that you have to use a maxis computer not a CC one and have it turned off.

Some cc computers seem to cause glitches with the influenced sim getting started with finishing the paper, I agree. But I never deliberately turn off dorm computers, Maxis or otherwise, and have never had that be any obstacle to an influenced term paper getting done. However...I'm guessing what you're seeing there is that when the computer isn't off, some random dormie or visitor is more likely to have already targeted it for whatever they want to use a computer for. That means the chair is already considered in use before the influenced sim gets there...which stops them from sitting down and getting the term paper done. And then the action may drop from their queue.
Edit: I've realized this: in my hoods where I use the on-sim menu of Pescado's autonomycontrol to globally ban autonomous usage of all computers, Influence...Write Term Paper works throughout Uni hoods without requiring that any computers, even Monique's, are already turned off (I never tell sims to turn off computers unless I need the computer in inventory for moving). If stopping sims from autonomously using computers fixes the problem Fearless Butterfly reports, then it's even more likely that those autonomous attempts to use it were the problem, rather than the on/off status of the machine.

Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
By the way, is Squinge's college everywhere hack the reason that visiting YAs sometimes leave the lot for one or two hours and then return?

Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I think they might actually be going to class, because I once had a Sim invite over a bunch of other Sims in the undeclared major and they all took off at the same time. This isn't in a university subhood.

I can confirm this is the case. Squinge's pack allows all college actions from the main hood...except Influence for term papers.(edit: no exceptions now, when fully patched---see above in this post) My YA Tessa Ramirez, while visiting her parents as their lot was being played, walked off lot at her usual class time and left her toddler brother alone despite having been asked by her mom to watch him and despite having stayed for a couple hours already while watching TV and with served food on the lot (so, she wasn't leaving just because no one playable was home---I have Squinge's hack that allows sims on regular residential lots to Ask to Watch Kids). Social worker showed up and I quit without saving. I was only experimenting at the time with how a campus-uni YA would act in the main hood with Squinge's college pack in, but as soon as I quit, I kinda started regretting it! Could definitely have been a great storyline to have mom come home and find both her grown daughter and toddler gone...

Quote: Originally posted by Lamare

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Yes, that's why I said it "should" work. Usually having someone check into a hotel is enough to push my game into spawning tourists. Once or twice it didn't work for some reason and I'm still not sure what the problem was.

Cyjon gave a great tip in this post in an older thread, and since I started using it, every hotel I ever check into is fully populated (or as fully populated as I need it to be, if I choose to bail earlier). And yes, I have the full suite of no-regen mods in also. I really think his simple tip is the ticket, though it cuts down on your first-day vacation freedom.

(I'm thinking maybe I should start evangelizing harder about old threads...like I said over here, there's tons of great information in them, often reflecting the best the community has even today been able to figure out---just because so many excellent longtime modders, who knew all this stuff, are no longer active. Considering the popularity of threads like the one we're in, it makes me sad that many of the most definitive answers to so many of these questions is kinda on the verge of being lost...to lack of Googling, and maybe to folks' not realizing/believing that the older info is often still the most solid and best-researched that we have.)

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10741 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 2:55 AM
YA in the main hood do leave for class whether they are 'doing' uni or not. I have to click it off if they are working or bumming around.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10742 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:06 AM
I wonder if there's a way to disable the leaving-for-class if they're not playable at the moment.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10743 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:24 AM
I would pause, make selctable and click it off if you think they are leaving. It would be nice though if it didn't push itself on non controllable sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10744 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Synergy

That is super helpful! That is what I was suspecting might be required. And thanks for reminding me about the go for a spin thing, I had forgotten about it. Will definitely help with testing. And thanks Orion for reporting back about your YA couple. Very helpful Hopefully I can track it down now.

Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Devon Aster's correct that you can't influence anyone to write a term paper if your own sim has not already at least barely started it---just like no other sim can do your student's HW for them if no HW object has been generated. So your sim always has to at least sit down and start the term paper (I usually get them to 1%) before they can influence anyone on campus.

gummi, you are correct that this is a documented issue with Squinge's pack: students don't have the option to influence anyone to write term papers when they are attending college in the main hood. I would love to know whether @Devon Aster has any mods that enable this, if it's definitely the case that their main-hood-uni sims can Influence to Write Term Paper.

The guardian for the interaction doesn't check for a started term paper, but it's possible the action bhav fails if there isn't one started. I will take a look.

I don't know about Devon, but I updated Squinge's mod to also fix influencing. I'll probably put it on my tumblr, feels too small to merit being on MTS.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#10745 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 8:00 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 21st Nov 2017 at 8:11 AM.
@gummilutt Thank you as always for your study of the code.

Oh, good, thanks for the update to Squinge's. But...I did just find something really interesting when looking at the original page for Squinge's pack.

It says that in September of 2014, he added an update to specifically enable Influence Write Term Paper. It's confusing because there's a typo in his note about the update, near the bottom of that thread-starting post of his, so it reads that it was September of 2004 that that happened.

But his title says September 2014, and the system's timestamp at the bottom of that post says he last changed it...September 2014. And indeed, the problem (can't influence to write term papers in the main hood) was reported at the end of that thread in September 2014, right before he made the change. And then after that date, another poster thanked him for the update.

So this all seems to indicate that the version of Squinge's pack on that page (and, I guess, specifically the College Interactions on Any Lot package, v. 1.1?) is supposed to permit Influence Term Paper.

Therefore, now I would really love to get to the bottom of this (and edit to add a strikethrough in my last post, if I'm wrong!) but I still can't test anything in my game for months more. But...perhaps this will take us toward understanding: were you using the 1.1 version of College Interactions on Any Lot? (I'll edit my tagged question to Devon Aster previously to ask the same.) Started to, and then...here's Devon!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Inventor
#10746 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 8:08 AM

Well, it seems I stumbled onto a solution for that, though I didn't know that was a known problem! I was able to recently get a YA sim to Influence another YA playable to finish writing their term paper. I believe it was possible because they were in main hood dorm using Lion's Gold Record mod. It was a converted apartment building where I rezoned to Residential, swapped the apartment doors for Myne doors, hung up the Gold Record, and rezoned to Dorm. I'll be honest that I very rarely get wants to Influence to write Term Paper, so I couldn't tell you if I somehow managed to get it to work before (this is the first time I've used the Gold Record mod).

Edit: It seems @natboopsie and I were composing posts around the same time. I just checked the dates on the related files and it does seem I have the updated version. (I suspected so as I've only had the game since EA made the Ultimate Collection free, but I wanted to be certain.) Though I reiterate it's something I've done so rarely I couldn't tell you if I ever tried it with a YA in the main hood and got it to work.

Some cc computers seem to cause glitches with the influenced sim getting started with finishing the paper, I agree. But I never deliberately turn off dorm computers, Maxis or otherwise, and have never had that be any obstacle to an influenced term paper getting done. However...I'm guessing what you're seeing there is that when the computer isn't off, some random dormie or visitor is more likely to have already targeted it for whatever they want to use a computer for. That means the chair is already considered in use before the influenced sim gets there...which stops them from sitting down and getting the term paper done. And then the action may drop from their queue.

I almost mentioned it might be an issue with cc computers (I use Monique ones) but as I hadn't actually tested it I wasn't sure I should. Your suggestion of why a turned off computer works better could be another plausible reason. I've had a mod in for quite a while that prevents sims from autonomously turning off computers. I think I had it before I got the Monique computers. So even with a Maxis computer, I might still run into trouble.
Forum Resident
#10747 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 8:42 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 21st Nov 2017 at 9:03 AM.
Wholesale edit: Heh, wrote you a whole reply, and then you said this...

Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
Edit: It seems @natboopsie and I were composing posts around the same time. I just checked the dates on the related files and it does seem I have the updated version. (I suspected so as I've only had the game since EA made the Ultimate Collection free, but I wanted to be certain.) Though I reiterate it's something I've done so rarely I couldn't tell you if I ever tried it with a YA in the main hood and got it to work.

Got it. OK, so actually the important thing is really that you can't be sure whether your successful Influence...Write Term Paper actually happened in the main hood or not. Which is important to clarify also, so I appreciate you popping in to comment. But, you've got the right version of Squinge's mod, so at least you've got the best chance at getting it to work when you try!

So...back to waiting to see what version of Squinge's College Interactions on Any Lot gummilutt has.

Edit 2: Or anyone else---if you have Squinge's Mega College Pack plus Squinge's CIAL that is newer than September 11, 2014...and your main-hood YAs can Influence other sims to Write Term Paper, please let us know! In fact...I'm going to tag @LilSister in case she can tell us, because she thanked Squinge for his 2014 update, and I know LilSister to be a careful tester.

Mad Poster
#10748 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 10:47 AM
Can sims change the TV channel or the stereo station autonomously?
Mad Poster
#10749 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 11:12 AM
Cyjon gave a great tip in this post in an older thread, and since I started using it, every hotel I ever check into is fully populated (or as fully populated as I need it to be, if I choose to bail earlier). And yes, I have the full suite of no-regen mods in also. I really think his simple tip is the ticket, though it cuts down on your first-day vacation freedom.

I always have my vacationing sims spend their first whole day at the hotel too, but I think that's a different issue. The person Cyjon was replying to was making their own tourists and having trouble getting them to appear in the game. JDacapo isn't making her own tourists. She just wants her game to automatically spawn them by itself and it isn't doing that for some reason. Usually having a playable check into a hotel should nudge the game into autospawning them all (you may notice some lag while it does this).

In my current copy of Veronaville (made from Tarlia's clean template), the Capp family were the first playables to visit a vacation destination. I sent them straight to their beach house and played them through at least two days before I finally noticed that there were no tourists at any of the lots they'd visited. I went back to the base hood and sent the Monty family to one of the hotels. Once they had checked in, the game spawned all the tourists. I did have one or two other 'hoods where my playables stayed at the hotel for a day or more and no tourists were ever spawned, but for most of my hoods checking in a playable works just fine.
Lab Assistant
#10750 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 11:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Can sims change the TV channel or the stereo station autonomously?

TV channel I know they can, and some of my sims do it regularly (I have all the EPs SPs). Stereo stations I don't monitor that much, so can't tell you/
Page 430 of 1345