Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:46 AM
Default Does anyone play with free-will turned on?
Personally, I hate it. It makes my sims waste time doing random stupid tasks that will not benefit them in any way. Also, if an npc tries to interact with them, they'll cancel w/e they're doing just to get slapped in the face or told a joke or something random like that. Also, they tend to spend A LOT of time just sitting around, doing nothing!

I always turn it off so I don't have to deal with this. Granted, having my sims stand around and do nothing if I forget to give them a command is a tad annoying, but its not like they'll do much of anything productive with it on anyway. They can't even do everything they need on their own anyway, like finding a job.

And don't think I haven't noticed that the apocalypse challenge requires you to play with it on, and seems to imply that that's part of the challenge!

Does anyone actually use that feature? I personally never do, and if I do forget to turn it off, I end up with a headache rather quickly.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:24 AM
I agree with you. Mostly because they do things I don't want them to do. I remember moving my household to a new lot and not turning free will off. After a few seconds some sims who had a crush on each other kissed despite being married to others which ended up in a lot of chaos. Others were mean to each other and fought although I wanted them to be best friends and in the end everyone was angry at each other.
And there's also that common problem of them trying to cook without any cooking skill and then burning to death. Or just having a need but not fulfilling it.
I used to play with free will on but I usually have a plan for my sims and I don't want them to mess it up. And the gameplay really gets more difficult when you have to play "against" your sims and that is just not my playstyle.
But I always thought I was the only one; I am pretty sure that the majority of simmers likes this feature.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:30 AM
I never play any other way. Never have done!

Oh! Once I turned it off for a couple of minutes to take a picture of two Sims standing outside their house. But they looked so wooden just standing there -- they didn't even fidget. So I said sorry to them and turned it on again. And I've left it on ever since.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:38 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 10th Dec 2017 at 2:25 PM. Reason: fixed derpy english
I can't play with being turned off. They would just feel robots obeying every my command, which doesn't really allow me to build off their career character or enhance story which I otherwise I would if it was enable. Sims are productive when they're automonous in many ways, as in taking career of their needs If they still sane or build a skill they got a habit in. Sure they won't find a job, but I'm not expecting that and why would they lol? Free will has its own fair share of benefits and disadvantages. Though for me personally, pros outweigh the cons. I don't mind my sims talking to strangers, as they gain new relationship along the way, making it also useful to get a promotion. It helps around when sims are lonely on socialization. As for your sims just sittings around, maybe you don't much of interesting objects for them to interact with or their comfort need bar is happen to be really low.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:49 AM
My play-style is very different, and I don't think I've ever turned it off. My Sims 2 play is fairly story-centered instead of goal centered, and autonomy is part of the way story develops. I like having sims act autonomously whenever I'm not actively directing them to fill a want or meet a need. They sometimes surprise me with what they do, and their actions give me ideas of how to consider their character and how to play them when I do actively direct them. I also like the challenge of playing large households, where keeping track of everyone and juggling needs is made more interesting by sims that sabotage themselves if I forget to check on them frequently.

In other games (like sims 3 or 4) I tend to be very goal-fixated and I find that fun in those games, but I didn't like that with Sims 2 - learning to let go of control and leave sims to the autonomy made the game more fun for me. That said, most of my sims are doing directed actions most of the time and I use the pause button and then cycle through the household if needs are tanking and sims are not taking care of themselves. The times I'm most likely to just leave a sim completely to their autonomy is when I don't have a grasp of the sim's character and interests; on a community lot or at during a party when I want sims to socialize and see who they gravitate to; and when the wants they have aren't actionable at the moment. There are also a couple of lots, such as my school, where I'll teleport/summon other sims and give them a task to do and then leave them to be autonomous for a set period of time when that task is done.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:48 AM
I never really considered free will a feature. I thought that it was an integral part of the game. They don't do anything with it off unless you tell them to. I'm not their owner. I don't tell them what to do every second of the day. How would they develop personalities of their own?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:58 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 10th Dec 2017 at 11:20 AM.
Always on unless I am staging photos. You miss at least 1/2 of the game if you don't have it turned on. Not only will you miss out on the natural forming relationships, be those friends, romances or enemies you also miss out on all the little things that let you know more about each sims personality as well as autonomous only actions. There are quite a few things that you can't tell a sim to do, those actions are set as autonomous only.

Having barely no townies probably also helps, my sims are 95% playable so they all know each other.

I don't let sims with no cooking points use a stove plus I use a Don't Walk Away mod, so my sims don't leave the stove while cooking. Some people use a no fire mod.

A big part of it is simply becoming a better player. Playing more speed 1 and 2 and using pause as needed and only using speed 3 when safe. Check the sim's needs more often and not waiting too long. Don't wait until they are dark orange, move sooner to take care of needs. A happy sim is a much more compliant sim. Watching old let's play's I can see why the player is frustrated and it's because their sims are frustrated. You have to stop, slow down and check why they are refusing to do that homework or go on the potty. Also knowing a bit how certain objects are handled by sims in game and how the sims personality using the object effects their needs and moods. For example a sim left with an exercise bike may kill themselves since it doesn't tell them to get off in time to not starve themselves. It's not that sims fault, it's the coding on the bike. So knowing that a seasoned player would keep a closer eye on any sim using a bike. If you don't want a sim to move for a good chunk of time studying from a book, painting or the bike will keep them there. Handy when you have a baby and the adults are being a bit too grabby with it. A serious sim won't want to gain fun by TV, they will gain fun faster by reading or playing chess. New players tend to over use TV when the quickest way for a couple of sims to raise fun is a game of red hands or a pool slide. Buying a cheap bed means energy and comfort go up slowly which combined with a pregnant sim can cause issues since they will need to eat again before being fully rested. Not checking the needs or aspiration lead to sims who are low and then the sim refusing to do things. Sims on freewill can also be trained to a certain extent, although it takes some time. Little things can make a difference to how well and fast your sim does things and in turn how much you feel in control rather than fearing your sims dying like flies or taken by the Social Worker. I started with Sims 1 which was way harder so sims 2 has always been a cake walk for me, but if you started with sims 3 or played it a long time before coming back to sims 2, sims 2 will be a lot harder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 11:05 AM
all the time! its unrealistic and feels bad if my sims can't do things on their own

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Inventor
#9 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:04 PM
Ever since I've raised my neighborhood on my old XP tower, I have free will on constantly. As far as my technique is concerned though, I still command them while using speed 2 and pause to my advantage. I've witnessed them make rather smart choices whenever I forget about them, such as focusing on their hobbies or needing the bathroom/bed if their motives are low enough. Shoot, I even had a toddler go to the bathroom on his own then return to his little station to resume his mechanical skill. Only time I'd turn free will off is if I need for my Sims to hang tight a bit until they can interact with somebody or they have to head off for work/class.

In the case of my self Sim on my laptop, however, I have free will off so her lovers can easily take turns interacting with her and having fun.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:14 PM
The only time I've turned off free will is when trying to pose Sims for a picture. It doesn't feel like the same game with it off.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:16 PM
Yeah - turned on unless taking photos too. I find it much more fun that way - they go off and do inappropriate things.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#12 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:25 PM Last edited by PenelopeT : 10th Dec 2017 at 4:56 PM.
Always have, and always will.

I also use mods that push even more autonomous actions/interactions...to give them even more freedom to do as they please. Sometimes their decisions leads to good things, and other times not so much. The game would be too boring (and predictable) for me if I had to micromanage every single aspect of their lives.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:09 PM
I mostly have free will turned off, because otherwise sims just go around doing stupid things, and when I'm busy doing photoshoots that's the last thing I want sims to do. Once in a blue moon I'll turn free will on, if I'm not doing photoshoots - but that's so rare now it hardly ever happens.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:16 PM
On! They are there to entertain me by getting stuck in corridors and arguing.
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 3:25 PM
Always on! Yes, they usually end up doing things that annoy me (turning the TV on for yet another film etc), but at the same time, I couldn't imagine it any other way. I'd far rather they went off to attempt to use the bathroom, or stick their heads into the fridge for a snack... because usually that means I've not realised that they're hungry/needing to pee etc.
Of course, the ones that interrupt their game to tell me that they're tired, then immediately restart their game are the ones I end up telling "GO TO BED!" Other times I'm like "where's [sim name]?", look around to find him or her in bed. "That's where they are! Oh well..."

The only time I might turn free will off is when I'm trying to get them all posed for a photograph, but that's incredibly rare.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#16 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 4:12 PM
Well, I wouldn't know anymore. Something in my CC makes it so when I have more than 3 Sims in the house my Free Will goes "hehe sucks to be you have fun micro managing EVERYTHING byeeeee!"

In my folders with less CC it works better and I always have it on. Yes, it can get annoying when they choose something you don't want or you have to stop them from playing pool FIVE times and GO TO THE BATHROOM STUPID BEFORE YOU PEE YOURSELF, it is more fun in my opinion.

Wanna try Free Will in extreme mode? Do the Asylum Challenge

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 11th Dec 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Well, your playstyle is your playstyle. If you're playing to gain a sense of control over something in this uncontrollable world, I can see why you'd turn it off.

But I think you'll find that most people play with it on; and I believe there are even people here who used to feel like you do, BlackHeart, and who have gradually started incorporating free will into their playstyle as they grew more experienced with the game, read about the exciting/dramatic/hilarious freewill happenings in other's games, and found less need to be strictly controlling. Some people have even used their ability to manipulate game features such as turning freewill on and off to manage their real-life conditions and experiment with real-life concepts in a safe, non-stressful environment, and benefited thereby.

Maybe that'll be true for you; maybe it won't. I think it's a more extreme form of the typical evolution among players, from playing only happy families and perfect lives to allowing more drama and difficulties - more interest and variety. But some people play for years without losing their fixation on perfection, and if they're happy like that, I'm happy for them.

Me, I like big households and would find the game stressful rather than relaxing and fun if I had to micromanage everybody; nor would some of my favorite storylines and characters have developed without free will and a loose rein on my part. If they don't have free will they can't "come alive," and that's what I love best about this game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#18 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 5:34 PM
I always play with it on. I play a lot big households and it would be tedious to micromanage literally every choice every sim makes in an 8-10 member families. I make sure their needs are met, guide decisions like jobs, skilling, social, etc. but if someone wants to wander off and watch TV when I have nothing pressing for them to do- fine by me.

In my retirement home, I barely even interact with them. A nurse makes food and does the cleaning, and I make sure someone does the gardening, but beyond that, I just let them live out their lives.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 5:54 PM
On most of the time, although I do turn it off in certain circumstances. I always turn it off when I'm trying to get a parent to teach a child how to study. I find that the parent rather wander off and do anything BUT teach the child how to study, so I turn it off to get them to teach the child how to study. Other times I've found myself turning it off when the toddler has wants for a parent to be snuggled by, be talked to by, etc a parent, but when I try to get the parent to fill those wants, the stupid toddler will not get away from the damn toys and let the parent do the interactions they WANT. I turn free will off to get the damn toddler away from the toys then the parent is able to fill the wants. I turn it back on again later. (I hate toddlers, so I am not very nice in my descriptions of them.)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 6:26 PM
Always on.

Always.

Because I love pixels surprising me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 7:25 PM
Heh, I actually did the asylum challenge ONCE, and all my sims died. They killed themselves using the exercise bike, one after the other. Seriously. At one point they all clustered around the bike waiting to use it, and as soon as the sim using it stopped to greet the grim reaper, another would get in and the cycle would repeat.

That's another reason why I play with it off. Because I had a bunch of sims off themselves one by one during a challenge. Oh, and there was that case of my legacy founder getting hit by a satellite before he even got his first paper (I do NOT let my sims watch clouds/stargaze anymore). Speaking of satellites, I've seen 3. So they're not that rare to me. I was surprised to see that they only have a 1% chance of happening. Though that may be because I used to play the game A LOT. When I first got it I played it so much I started to understand what the sims were saying...

And yeah, some sims get more fun out of some things than others. You have to cater to their personalities. Though honestly, I mostly just have them do things that fill up their pre-destined hobby. Well, either that or make them do things that increase skills they need, mostly logic and creativity. My sims spend a lot of time painting and playing chess.

And even if you have it off, they do have SOME autonomous actions. Mostly related to their hobbies (my current sim will occasionally pull out a rubiks cube and try to solve it if I forget to give him a command).
Forum Resident
#22 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:02 PM
I am also one of those players that will only turn free will for posing pictures. I couldn't imagine playing without free will. My game is modded so that all of the annoying behavior has either been eliminated or enables them to behave in a sensible manner. I enjoy watching them live their lives choosing their friends and lovers; deciding on their chosen course of study in college or their career after graduation; when they want to have a pet or have a baby. I allow their wants to dictate whether or not I intervene. Simple things like bathing, using the bathroom, eating a snack or cooking when hungry, I wouldn’t want to have to micromanage these things. Not all of their decisions are good, and sometimes there are consequences that don't always work in their favor, it's all part and parcel of Sim life. Their autonomy often directs their story. I'm four generations in my game and I enjoy seeing how the personalities of offspring differ from their parents in how they handle their lives and make choices.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:20 PM
To sum up...

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I never really considered free will a feature. I thought that it was an integral part of the game. They don't do anything with it off unless you tell them to. I'm not their owner. I don't tell them what to do every second of the day. How would they develop personalities of their own?

Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
The only time I've turned off free will is when trying to pose Sims for a picture. It doesn't feel like the same game with it off.

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Always on.

Always.

Because I love pixels surprising me

It is worth noting that I used to play with free will off when I was younger, but heck, in time, I realised how boring the game could become. Never ever again. Lesson learned. You can play as you please, but if you have always played like this, there are probably a few things you are missing out on. Besides, if autonomy bothers you because it sometimes is repetitive (seriously, I will not deny it, sims may become obsessed with certain items at times), I assure you, there are plenty of mods out there that will help your pixel people enjoy all the stuff around them, or even socialize better.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:36 PM
Exercise bike tend to kill a sim? Well, I learn something this day (or maybe I used to remember that before I forgot). Ballet bar is also a devil that can starve your sim, but not all objects hypnotize your sim to the point of their own necessity neglection. Try experimenting with one by one different exercising equipment, because I'm sure not all of them starve your sims to death. That is If you care at all.

Right now, playing in Belladonna Cove from it very starts. I don't micromanage a lot, unless there's a want to be fulfilled, a certain skill level that needs to be reach for a promotion, or a thing that needs to be done that they themselves won't do (like sims with sloppiness won't do cleaning autonomously, so I force upon them to do the chore). Other than that, they're smart enough to take care of their needs on their own and go to work (as long as their not depressed or moody) and other stuff. Once you get used to the mechanics, the physiology of sims with free will on, you will know how to strategically plan out the routine or do stuff. Maybe it's just me that good, because I ran the clock on speed 3 just fine while the full automonouny is kicking.
Scholar
#25 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:14 PM
I play with free will turned on, but have a mod that allows me to control free will for individual Sims. Even this is rarely used, and another mod automatically turns free will back on at the beginning of the next play session if I forget to do so within a game session.
Page 1 of 3