Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 2:44 AM Last edited by GothicGorilla : 15th Feb 2018 at 5:55 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [Solved] Stuck at 800x600 no graphicsrules.sgr file
I have searched the internet and Google is failing me, so I'm asking here now. My game's resolution is stuck at 800x600. Most everything I found said change the graphicsrules.sgr file in the config folder...but I don't have that file. Broadcast, userprops, and videocapture are the only files in my config folder. When Google came up with nothing, I got a friend to send me her graphicsrules.sgr file and edited it the way suggested countless times...nothing happened. It all stayed the same. After that I tried this graphicsrule editor thingy both with and without my friend's graphicsrules file...nothing changed. So now I'm asking for some help. I have no idea where to go from now, and am at a complete loss as to why the file wasn't there and why adding it in didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 2:52 AM
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config I assume this is where you went? It isn't in the documents folder config.

because your game wouldn't run if you didn't have one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config I assume this is where you went? It isn't in the documents folder config.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config

I don't have the ultimate collection. What I have is all on disks, so it's not running through Origin. For whatever reason, it's not split up into the different packs, just one folder.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 3:29 AM
No.
It is C/Program Files(x86)/EA Games/ then your last EP.
You should have a bunch of folders in there, I have 18.
When you'll find the right place, feel free to take a look here :
https://www.forestbalrog.com/game-stuck-in-800x600.html

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 4:54 AM
Actually, I just put my graphic rule file on last night and it isn't the latest EP it was base game.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config. I am on all disks no collections though.
Graphic Rules.sgr is the third file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:01 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Feb 2018 at 5:08 PM.
I have a copy of it in my tsbin also, it helps Bodyshop...
So for me it works.
Not what I meant at all, I meant, I copied my edited grah rule in the EP folder where I use BS from. Too.

Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars

Mine is like this, too. UC, from Origin, no disks.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config

I just changed this myself. I had been running it 800x600 for years without realizing I didn't have to. This helped me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmg298sZMo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 4:58 PM
I appear to be missing the TSData folder as well... here's my Sims 2 folder, if that helps any.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:09 PM
That game is not installed properly.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
That game is not installed properly.

It's not? I installed it the same way I have every time I've installed it... any suggestions on things to do differently when installing it?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GothicGorilla
It's not? I installed it the same way I have every time I've installed it... any suggestions on things to do differently when installing it?

Which is how? Certainly not by using the installer that came with the game.
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:21 PM
It looks like your pc shares the same folder for the installation and the "user" data.
You should have two separate folders, one in C:\Program Files (x86) (or any other hard disk you have, usually is the C one) and another one in Documents.
Doesn't matter if you have UC or a disc version, the paths are the same (there are few different things) and you shouldn't have everything in the same folder. Also, my system is in Italian but The Sims is completely in English. That's what you should have in Documents:
https://i.imgur.com/VW50Sgf.png?1

If I was you, I would unistall completely the game (although I'm not so sure about how to do it, since it looks messy) and reinstall from scratch.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Which is how? Certainly not by using the installer that came with the game.

That is how I installed it. I know of no other way.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *_Drew~
It looks like your pc shares the same folder for the installation and the "user" data.
You should have two separate folders, one in C:\Program Files (x86) (or any other hard disk you have, usually is the C one) and another one in Documents.
Doesn't matter if you have UC or a disc version, the paths are the same (there are few different things) and you shouldn't have everything in the same folder. Also, my system is in Italian but The Sims is completely in English. That's what you should have in Documents:

If I was you, I would unistall completely the game (although I'm not so sure about how to do it, since it looks messy) and reinstall from scratch.

That looks like my documents folder all right. I checked and my C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Sims 2 only has a filelist in it. I'm wondering now if the game installed on OneDrive when I installed it (first time install on Win10 laptop) and I just moved the folder over and that's the problem?

I'll start the unistall/reinstall process later after work then.

Instructor
#15 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 5:47 PM
If you moved the folder manually, you probably moved into the wrong one. Also, I can tell you that moving installation files in this ways can seriously mess up your game (like it's happening in this case).

CSBin and the unistall files shouldn't be in the Documents folder, for example. I think you replaced the installation config folder with the one in documents which is not good 'cause they're two different things...

If you click on "unistall" what does the software says?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *_Drew~
If you moved the folder manually, you probably moved into the wrong one. Also, I can tell you that moving installation files in this ways can seriously mess up your game (like it's happening in this case).

CSBin and the unistall files shouldn't be in the Documents folder, for example. I think you replaced the installation config folder with the one in documents which is not good 'cause they're two different things...

If you click on "unistall" what does the software says?

So now I get to figure out where my computer thinks everything is installed and unistall it from there...

Mad Poster
#17 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:52 PM
Can't you find them in Add/Remove program and uninstall from there?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:54 PM
You installed each disk one by one, patching as you went?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You installed each disk one by one, patching as you went?

Yes, I did.

I'll check program files and see if I can uninstall them that way.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 11:39 PM

I don't understand how I messed it up so badly, but the apps/features menu lists the expansions/stuff packs as unavailable. But it does look like I can unistall them from there.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 5:58 PM
After clearing the EA Games folder and unistalling everything through the apps and features menu, I have managed to reinstall the base game. As suggested above, I have the files needed in the program files folder. Hopefully that will stay when installing everything else. :D

Thanks guys!