Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 3:11 PM
Default Thinking about a Sims Steampunk Comic
Hi!

I always want to make a Sim Comic, but I also want pictures, that look a little bit different. At this point, I don't know, if I found a way to produce some interesting pictures ore is it a one way street.
What do you think about the style?

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 11:38 PM
Cool! What do you use, Paint.NET? (I do.)

ENTJ
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 9:09 AM
I'm using Photoshop CS2 and a few free Filters like
VirtualPhotographer

Dreamy Photo
I guess, there is also a standalone version.

Little Ink Pot Filters
I use the charcoal effect for this pictures and blend it into the original layer.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 9:16 AM
IMO, the filters get in the way of the image. It doesn't end up looking so much like a comic as just blotchy. I think if you want to do it as a comic, do some very subtle filtering - increase the contrast, turn down the brightness, maybe try a Posterize filter to reduce the number of colours, and just try to go with comic-style layouts and shots in each frame to do one larger single image.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 9:46 PM
uh try this
I know this isn't pictures of the Sims, but...atomicspacekitty of GoS made this...

http://bjd.atomicspacekitty.com/?p=194&page=3

Just an example...you can ask her how she did it, she'd probably tell you.

Yours Welcomes

My Stories:
The Shadow (TS3 story) Completed
Alternate Universe (TS2 story) Chapter 30 1/19/11
The Gang (Originally a TS3 story, but converted to TS2) Chapter 4 Re-post 1/13/11
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 10:59 PM
Thank you both.
Yes, HP, you'r right. It hasn't the Comic Style Look.
I do it the same way I was painting. That's wrong.

I'm far away from good resultst. It's a new technique and an new theme for me. A friend of mine makes Mangas and she likes playing Sims too. So she ask me to make a story.
For this picture, I use the Auto FX Filter Series "Mystical TTC": Hard Posterize
And play around with the Gamma.

@certain
Cool Link. I'm very impressed. Can't stop, watching the pictures.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 2:40 PM
Ok, new day, new attempt.

I startet testing e few filters from Filter Forge. This is near to the mood, I want.

Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 10:49 AM Last edited by VampireSim : 22nd Oct 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added two more wallpapers
Default Wallpapers
I made some Wallpapers the same way. I want to use them as backgrounds or placeholders.

Feel free to use them, if you like them.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 28th Oct 2009 at 10:30 PM
Looks like a great idea, but have you considered using something other than the evile Comic Sans font for it? There are heaps of free and more decent comic fonts out there on the Web that you might could try. Here's just one page of 'em:

http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml

Sorry for suggesting this, as it may well cause extra work for you (not to mention littering your hard drive with delicious new fonts for all occasions - once you go down the font-collecting path, it can be hard to turn back... heh), but I have an unnatural aversion to Comic Sans - scarred by it's overuse in uni hand-outs or something, I reckon... Down with Comic Sans! Boo @ Comic Sans! etc. etc.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Oct 2009 at 7:23 PM
Yes, you are right. I hate the Comic Sans too, but I installed my Photoshop on an new Windows System without all my fonts I'm using normally. So, I have concentrated upon the impression of the pictures, not the typo.

I'm still trying to find a cool look for the pictures.
When I'm ready to create the first page in DIN A 4, I will use another Font for the final typo. Then all comes together: the pictures, the typo and the backgrounds.

Thanks for the Link. I don't know this site. I often go to http://www.dafont.com/
There are a lot of Creative Commons and Public Domain Fonts.