Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 1:31 AM Last edited by dyrinda : 26th Nov 2017 at 2:53 AM. Reason: to provide an update

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Apartment Life - it seems like something is keeping the installation disk from actually installling
UPDATE: I have gotten the game running, and the disk isn't the problem (as far as game play goes.) I had to copy the TSData and TSBin folders in the "compressed" file and paste them into the main game file, overwriting where necessary. They apparently didn't install properly when I installed from the folder copied over onto my hard drive.

I'd still like to know why I couldn't straight-up install from the disk, aside from Sims 2 being such an elderly game.

***********************************************************************************************

First, the details:
What operating system you are running: Windows 10
Your processor's type and speed: Intel i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50 ghz
The amount of RAM you have: 8 gigs
The type of graphics card you have - brand, model number, RAM, and driver version: GeForce GTX 1050ti, driver 388.31 (released 11/15/2017)
The disk drive is an external ODD and HDD device.

Believe it or not, I was able to install every other expansion and stuff pack with no problems right up until Apartment Life.

The process starts out normally. I click through the EULA, input the game code and confirm the destination folder. The installation begins, but it really doesn't. The progress bar stays stuck at 0% no matter how long I let it run. I'm wondering if there's some disk security protocol Windows 10 doesn't know how to handle.

It installs fine when I copy the files directly onto my computer and install from there. But when I go to boot up the game via the game .exe file (not the launcher) on the computer hard drive, the CD starts up but nothing happens. It doesn't matter how the compatibility settings are set.

I've cleaned the disk and the drive. The drive is reading other disks just fine. I know there's issues between Sims 2 and CD-RW drives, but I haven't found any information addressing this particular issue. As I noted, every other game installed just fine. Thoughts?

EDITED TO ADD: Everything's installed in the Programs (x86) folder right now. I've gone through and installed in various locations, but it didn't resolve this specific issue.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 11:57 AM
I'd guess something on the disk tbh. The game installs fine on Win10 - for a lot of people anyway. There's nothing specific about it preventing installation. But your manual installation seems to have worked fine. You could try modifying the game exe to get the game running. Unfortunately we can't discuss that here - try leefish. They're very helpful with that sort of stuff over there.

Another alternative is to go and ask EA for the UC. That works just fine with Win10 and they removed Securom too (which is an issue with Win10).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc