Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 1:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Messed with Graphics Rule and now game crashes. Reinstalled and still crashes.
I messed with the graphics rule and it crashed. And then I reinstalled it. It STILL CRASHES ON START UP! What do I do?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 12:51 PM
I'm presuming that by reinstalled you mean that you deleted Sims 2 Super Collection.app and then re-downloaded it from the Mac App Store? And that you left your previous game and downloads folder in place? If so it's probably a mismatch between what you have in downloads and the clean copy of the game.

Have you ever installed the CEP files, or anything like that? CEP requires files and folders to be placed in both the Sims 2 Super Collection package and also in your user folder. If they exist in one place but not the other, as they will after a redownload of the game, they can cause a crash.

Obviously if you know that you'd previously installed the CEP, you can just go through the steps to reinstall it, and try your game again afterwards.

If it's not that, the easiest way to test whether it's a conflict between your user folder and the game is to back up your user files, remove them so that the game regenerates a new folder the next time it starts up, and then test to see whether the crash still happens. If it's now okay, you can investigate what the mismatch is, fix it, and then restore your game from the backup once it's all running smoothly again.

I would go to ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr, right click on The Sims 2, then select Compress to zip that folder. Then move that zipped file somewhere else (Desktop or Documents, for example), and delete The Sims 2 folder. Launch the game, and it should generate a new folder. Test to see if you still get the crash, and if everything is okay you can double click on the zip file you moved elsewhere to unpack it to a folder, then start to move your neighbourhoods, downloads and other files back.