Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:14 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default All my Sims' babies are boys.
Alright, so I'm playing a base game megahood (Pleasantview + Veronaville + Strangetown) and quite a few of my families have had new babies. However, all of these babies bar one have been boys. That girl was a twin, and even the unborn Broke baby can be a girl if you force twins. Could there be a glitch in my game that's causing all of my Sims' babies to be male, or is it just one big coincidence?

Mari | 26 | She/Her | Australian
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:06 AM
Are you using the batbox to fix firstborn syndrome?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:10 AM
Maybe a "haen't rolled the pacifier" glitch that causes the identical firstborn issue?
If you at the start of every play session go to CAS and roll the pacifier (you don't have to make a new family), the issue may resolve. Having twins may also help.

If that doesn't help, you can try to make a family and let them have several babies in one play session until they get girls. This may sort out the bug.

Technically there should be a 50/50 chance of getting each gender, and it is randomly decided at birth.

Just a random thing, but I've noticed that my game seems to favor the less represented gender in the household, so if there's a higher number of boys, the next baby will have a higher chance of being a girl, and opposite. If the sim expects twins, there's also a higher chance of more babies of the less represented gender, and if the number is even they'll usually be one of each. It's possible this might just be a weird coincidence in my game, but for quite a while now I've able to predict with maybe 80-90% certainty what the gender(s) of the babies will be (single and twins). There have been maybe one or two occasions where I did get something like 7 boys and then a girl in one family, but that's quite rare. Seems to only be happening in my game, though it's been so for all 3 computers/installs...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:56 PM Last edited by Isa-WP : 1st Jul 2018 at 5:43 PM. Reason: massive spelling mistakes!
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Just a random thing, but I've noticed that my game seems to favor the less represented gender in the household, so if there's a higher number of boys, the next baby will have a higher chance of being a girl, and opposite. If the sim expects twins, there's also a higher chance of more babies of the less represented gender, and if the number is even they'll usually be one of each. It's possible this might just be a weird coincidence in my game, but for quite a while now I've able to predict with maybe 80-90% certainty what the gender(s) of the babies will be (single and twins). There have been maybe one or two occasions where I did get something like 7 boys and then a girl in one family, but that's quite rare. Seems to only be happening in my game, though it's been so for all 3 computers/installs...

I have two gay couples, one male and one female, who both have six children. In both family the sexes are evenly spread out, just like what you described. But it's probably just coincidence that it keeps balancing out. Apparently there's nothing in the code that checks how much males or females a family or neighbourhood has, but an even chance of sons or daughters is able to create these patterns where it looks like the game is evening it out. I just counted the in-born sims in my hood and it's 14 sons and 14 daughters, even though I have a few more more mothers than fathers.

@marimisama: you probably should look into first-baby-syndrome (basically the game isn't determining the baby characteristics randomly at all). If even that doesn't help, save a little bit before the birth anyway, then just reload if it's a boy again. I had more girls than boys for a while but then suddenly got more boys. 50-50% just creates these patterns sometimes and then you're just out of luck.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:01 PM
The gender is totally random, but usually balances out at some point. First born syndrome doesn't take gender into account. All you need to do is save before the birth then keep reloading the lot, at some point the baby will change to be the opposite gender, it's decided at birth.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#6 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:05 PM
I get runs of one sex or the other occasionally. It balances out in the end.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:58 PM
Flip a coin 100 times. Overall, you'll likely end up with about an even split between heads and tails, but while you're in the process of flipping, you might have a long run of either heads or tails. When you think about it, each possible outcome of a coin flip has a large chance of occurring (50%), so long runs of the same outcome is not surprising. If you were to roll a die 100 times, where there are six possible outcomes, instead of flipping a coin, you'd see fewer clusters of one result because each outcome would have a smaller chance of occurring each time.

A baby's sex in-game is decided by what is essentially a coin flip at birth. It occurs during that little pause while the "stork is tying up the strings." If you save just before the preggo goes into labor, and you don't like the sex you get, just exit to the neighborhood without saving and try again. Don't be surprised if you have to do that several times, though.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#8 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 8:37 PM
from experience, just 2 things would guarantee the gender of an unborn sim.
-self pregnancy
-"father" of the child being unlinked; like Skip Broke was at start of game.
in either case, the baby would be opposite gender of the pregnant sim.

all other sim pregnancies; gender is decided while the picture is up.

about "firstborn" baby syndrome; that is where all genetic info is similar to the couple's "first" pregnancy-produced child.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 9:01 PM
I read somewhere that the game, before choosing the gender of the child, checks the number of boys and girls in the neighborhood. And trying to equalize their number. Maybe you have too many girls in the megahood.
Alchemist
#10 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
I read somewhere that the game, before choosing the gender of the child, checks the number of boys and girls in the neighborhood. And trying to equalize their number. Maybe you have too many girls in the megahood.
that is a myth. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...of_Babies#Myths
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 9:43 PM
Like I said, it could be random in my game too, but in that case it's a very predictable random (I'm talking about the first try. If I save before delivery and try multiple times it's more random). A long time ago the same-sex couples I had in my game also had a weird tendency to get the opposite gender baby on the first try. Self-pregnancy via mods usually cause a clone of the opposite gender, though.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 6:11 AM
The gender of the parents makes no difference. (except a clone baby) Over the years a whole lot of speculation about gender has been said, but the game mechanics are not fancy, just a window and a simple coin toss. Often people will notice a pattern. It is possible for the game to get stuck, so perhaps the coin toss can also get stuck, I don't know.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 7:04 AM
Perfectly normal in my experience. I had one Sim couple try 10 times to get a boy and they ended up with 9 girls. The 10th pregnancy turned out twin boys.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
so perhaps the coin toss can also get stuck, I don't know.

I think it's probably Sad-o-Random(TM), like the rest of the game's randomisers.
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:24 PM
I dunno, it'd be hard for the either/or coin flip that determines a pixel-baby's sex to be not-random because the range of possible outcomes is pretty much as small as it can be. And/or, it'd be hard to tell if it wasn't random, unless you could manage to detect some sort of obvious repeating pattern. I've never noticed such a pattern, myself. Sometimes a neighborhood will go off on a "boy kick" or a "girl kick" for a while, sometimes a long while, but it's never exactly the same pattern. Where the "decisions" that the game has to make are more complex, where there are more factors and more possible outcomes than just either/or physical sex, then yeah, non-randomness will kick in because computer programs use algorithms, not strict random probability, to make "decisions." (That's why Random.org prides itself on being a truly random system of computerized random number generation, after all.) But from what I've seen, when only considering which physical sex the game chooses for a Sim-baby, it seems pretty genuinely randomized. Everything else seems to be affected by set algorithms, resulting in "first-born syndrome" (To prevent that, I tend to go into CAS and generate a bunch of random Sims -- usually generating a number on Random.org to decide how many -- and THEN use the batbox's Sim-generator randomizer, too, for "maximum random" ), but not so much the physical sex of a generated Sim, which seems to be independent of everything else.

...Of course, "seems to be" could be the operative phrase there! Perhaps some massive data collection and spreadsheeting and/or application of pattern-recognition software is in order! *puts on nerd hat*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I dunno, it'd be hard for the either/or coin flip that determines a pixel-baby's sex to be not-random because the range of possible outcomes is pretty much as small as it can be.

Mootilda found this:
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
There's no way to get a true random number from the EA source code, because the random number generators are not seeded correctly.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...984#post3905984

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
And/or, it'd be hard to tell if it wasn't random, unless you could manage to detect some sort of obvious repeating pattern.

That's true with gender, but I still wouldn't assume that any of the game random generators are truly random, even when the outcome is one of two.