Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Super Collection Community Lot Problem
I recently bought the Sims 2 Super collection from the app store and tried playing with boolprop enabled. An error kept popping up and I hit delete. Now my sims are unable to travel to community lots. The option to call a taxi does not appear. When I click on a car the travel to a differnt lot option does not appear. I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, and I still have this issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 7:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RingoKilledthePropman
I recently bought the Sims 2 Super collection from the app store and tried playing with boolprop enabled. An error kept popping up and I hit delete. Now my sims are unable to travel to community lots. The option to call a taxi does not appear. When I click on a car the travel to a differnt lot option does not appear. I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, and I still have this issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Note: Having boolprop enabled does not cause errors it shows one the error or errors that exist. Next time you should Click Reset instead, that is usually the best option.

One of the best things to do when there are problems is make the game redo the cache files.

So to start with delete these two files: Accessory.cache, Groups.cache they are found in The Sims 2 folder. When you next run the game it will generate new copies of these files.

Run the game and check to see if the problem is gone. If the problem is gone, just remmember next time click reset in the error dialog window as that is usually the best option. If the problem exists, then do the next step.

Before you do anything else, you must first Back up your The Sims 2 folder by making a copy of it, note: you can leave the copy in the Aspyr folder if you want.

Next move your Downloads folder out of The Sims 2 folder and start up your game, check to see if the problem exists.

If the problem is gone then there is something that is causing the error in the Downloads folder, you need to do the 50/50 testing procedure, one takes half of the contents out and tests and then either half again or test the other half, and you keep doing this until the culprit or culprits are found.

If the problem is still there then enable the Testing Cheats by typing boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled true and try Shift Clicking the Mail Box since doing this will force an error. Click reset to get rid of the error window and then see if the problem is gone. Or else try Shift Clicking your Sims, doing this will force an error. Click reset and then see if the problem is gone.

Uninstalling and reinstallling is usually not the answer.

Note that the reason you had the Error in the First place was undoubtably something in your Downloads folder that does not work right or is not meant to be used by Macs, etc.

If none of the above works I don't know what to do next.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
Note: Having boolprop enabled does not cause errors it shows one the error or errors that exist. Next time you should Click Reset instead, that is usually the best option.

One of the best things to do when there are problems is make the game redo the cache files.

So to start with delete these two files: Accessory.cache, Groups.cache they are found in The Sims 2 folder. When you next run the game it will generate new copies of these files.

Run the game and check to see if the problem is gone. If the problem is gone, just remmember next time click reset in the error dialog window as that is usually the best option. If the problem exists, then do the next step.

Before you do anything else, you must first Back up your The Sims 2 folder by making a copy of it, note: you can leave the copy in the Aspyr folder if you want.

Next move your Downloads folder out of The Sims 2 folder and start up your game, check to see if the problem exists.

If the problem is gone then there is something that is causing the error in the Downloads folder, you need to do the 50/50 testing procedure, one takes half of the contents out and tests and then either half again or test the other half, and you keep doing this until the culprit or culprits are found.

If the problem is still there then enable the Testing Cheats by typing boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled true and try Shift Clicking the Mail Box since doing this will force an error. Click reset to get rid of the error window and then see if the problem is gone. Or else try Shift Clicking your Sims, doing this will force an error. Click reset and then see if the problem is gone.

Note that the reason you had the Error in the First place was undoubtably something in your Downloads folder that does not work right or is not meant to be used by Macs, etc.

Thank you, I'll have to give this a shot when I have time later tonight. I'll let you know what happens!
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 10:06 PM
when any error message first choose "Cancel". then if same message comes up again, choose "Reset". if same message comes after "Reset", only then choose "Delete".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9

It turns out it was a CC issue. This whole time I thought it was because I clicked the wrong thing when the error message popped up. I removed my downloads folder and the game is running fine. Now it's time to figure out which CC is causing the issue. Thank you for your help!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RingoKilledthePropman
It turns out it was a CC issue. This whole time I thought it was because I clicked the wrong thing when the error message popped up. I removed my downloads folder and the game is running fine. Now it's time to figure out which CC is causing the issue. Thank you for your help!

I thought it was a CC issue, and I am glad that it was. Finding the bad CC is not that hard. What you do is called the 50/50 method.

First divide your CC in half and test one of the parts. If you find that the error occurs in the half hat you are testing, you divide that part in half and test again. If you find that the error does not occur you divide the other part into halves and then test.

You repeat dividing the CC into parts and testing until you isolate the problem file or files. Usually it is just one file. Good news is that it does not take that long to test.

Good luck. I hope that you find the problem CC soon.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:41 AM
Missing menu options are a classic sign of a mod conflict, specifically, which is two mods using, usually, the same BHAVs, so that one is overwriting parts of the other, causing the game to go "Huh?" You MIGHT be able to find the conflict by using the Hack Conflict Detection Utility, which can be found here: http://simfileshare.net/folder/15697/ (You want the file with "HCDU" in the name of the download.) If you run that, you'll get a list of conflicting mods, but know that not all conflicts are bad; some mods are DESIGNED to conflict with others and sometimes with parts of themselves. (Inteen, if you have it, will generate a number of "hits" on the HCDU, showing conflicts with itself; these can be ignored.) Also, not all conflicts are BHAV or BCON conflicts, and the HCDU only detects those. So, your results might not give you obvious answers -- it's a tool, not a magic wand! -- but since what you have is most likely to be a mod conflict, given the symptoms, it might give you a head start with your testing, without having to do a full 50/50.

I'd first make a backup of all your neighborhoods (which you should do before doing a 50/50, too), so you don't have to worry about corrupting them by removing stuff. Just make a copy of your Documents/Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder and stick it on your desktop. From your Downloads folder, remove everything that isn't hacks. Just drag it all to a temporary folder on your desktop. Then, run the HCDU. It may take a minute or two, depending on the number of mods you have. When you get the report, if it shows conflicts, remove all the mods that you get "hits" on, again just dragging them out of the folder. (Other than Inteen conflicting with itself; those are fine.) Test. (Since you are opening the game with only mods in, it should load very quickly.) If things now work, then you know that the issue you're having is caused by one or more of the mods you removed, not by any of the ones you left in. Then you just have to add the reported-conflicting mods back in -- I'd do it one-by-one, myself -- to find the culprit.

When you find it, try changing load order to see if you can get everything working together. Meaning, rename the offending file so that it has a "z" at the front of its filename. The game loads files alphabetically, so doing this will push the offender down the list, thus making its code the last the loads, therefore making it the code that "takes precedence." This will make it so that it will override all or part of the mod that it's conflicting with, and doing so MAY allow both to work together harmoniously. (Again, doing that is a tool -- and sometimes a half-assed one, really -- not magic.) Or it may mean that ONLY the last-loading mod works and the other is now useless, and you may value what the overwritten mod does more than what the last-loading mod does. So, more testing is required to determine that. In the end, you may need to make a choice between the conflicting mods, only keeping one of them. When you've got everything figured out, restore the backup you made of your neighborhoods folder and all your other CC.

Also bear in mind that more than one mod may be conflicting, so you might want to similarly test all the mods that the HCDU is reporting as conflicting. If you download a lot of mods, it's a good idea to run the HCDU often, to see if any new conflicts show up from stuff you've recently downloaded. It's not uncommon to have some because, as I said, some mods are designed to conflict. (I have over 1000 mods in my game -- including Inteen, which is notoriously conflict-y -- and my HCDU is pretty long, but I've carefully constructed my mods folder to make it so that the conflicting mods work together the way I want, with some deliberately overwriting parts of some others, sacrificing some functioning of some mods in ways that I'm OK with.) But it's a good idea to check out any new entries on the conflict list as you download mods, which will help to prevent trouble before it happens.

EDIT: Of course, this is dependent on the HCDU working with Macs. *headdesk* It probably doesn't, now that I think about it. BUT I'm going to leave this here in case any future Windows users come to this thread with a similar problem.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.