Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 12:59 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Accidentally installed an occupied lot - what now?
I thought it was an empty house, but it turned out to be occupied by several sims. I know I should reinstall, but I just installed the game and I want to enjoy it before my game goes kaboom. I haven't actually placed the lot anywhere in any neighborhood, but it's in my lot bin, so the damage has already been done. Is there any way to delete the occupied lot or would that make things worse?

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 1:09 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Aug 2018 at 3:20 AM.
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but) if you haven't placed the lot in a neighborhood yet, you probably haven't borked any of them. It happens when you place an occupied lot in your neighborhood - the sims on the lot will have broken relationships and can cause neighborhood borkage. It can also happen if you put one of your occupied lots in the lot bin, because the relationship ties get broken. However, the lot can stay in the bin without giving you any troubles as long as you don't place it, or you can remove it (should be a trash bin you can delete it with).

In case you have placed the lot, you don't need to a full reinstall. Just put the contents of the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents in a folder on your Desktop (in case you later find that important files are missing), start the game, and let the game regenerate the files. Easiest way to get a clean slate.

Then you can put back things like your Downloads folder and anything else you'd like to keep from the files you removed.

If you want to keep certain things like sims (extract with SimPE, clone with Bodyshop), empty unoccupied houses (sims2pack from ingame) or other neighborhoods than the one you put the lot in, you can do so before regenerating the folder. Or keep the removed files as a "backup" in case you want to do this later.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:21 AM
If you have not place the lot in any hood then you are ok just to delete it.

If your just starting with the hoods then just remove the "Neighborhoods" folder then start up the game and it will regen a new one for you and your good to go. C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Alchemist
#4 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 9:55 PM
if the lot was either of the pre-made lot bin occupied lots, might be able to restore the lot by deleting the folder named LotCatalogue; after backing up any non-premade lots.
if the lot was a download, you might be able to re-download the lot.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:50 PM
Why would they want to re-download the lot?

if it's only in the bin and not placed you are okay OP, just delete it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~