Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:47 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 31st Jan 2019 at 6:47 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Suggestions for ways to sort characters? - SOLVED!
There are a number of things I want to do that depend on being able to sort sims in a hood in SimPE, or otherwise, according to a few characteristics. Like, it would be great to have all the sims IDs, but sorted by gender and age, so that I could have a list of the ID numbers for all the elder males, for example. Is there already a way to do this in SimPE somewhere, or does anyone have a suggestion for exporting the info to a spreadsheet or something that could be sorted?

EDIT: SimPE does have a function that allows this described in this thread. Post #24
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...979#post5430979
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 4:37 PM
Where do you want to do the sorting? If it's in the Sim Description section you can just click the categories like IDs in the top right panel like you would with Windoze Explorer. You can do the same with a lot of stuff in SimPE - see pictures. However Boolean searches are not possible.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Where do you want to do the sorting? If it's in the Sim Description section you can just click the categories like IDs in the top right panel like you would with Windoze Explorer. You can do the same with a lot of stuff in SimPE - see pictures. However Boolean searches are not possible.

Yes, I can do that, but that doesn't help me sort them by gender or age, does it?

Say, I want all the ID numbers that are all playable males... without going through and identifying them myself. How could I do that? I'm willing to put the data where ever it needs to be to sort it, if I can get that data somehow. The data exists - ought to be a way to extract it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 5:26 PM
Sometimes you just have to make the spreadsheet and do the data entry.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 5:51 PM
Does anyone know how to use these tools? From https://sims.ambertation.de/en/page/15/
" Last time I forgot to mention a new Feature in SimPE that can be used whenever you have File Referenc Lists. (Like Nmap, or the References in the RCOl based Files). When you click on the Arrow Button, you can Drag & Drop the packed Files to those Lists, so you donÄt have to type n the TGI Values manually.

The Nmap Plugin has been enhanced a Bit to, it does now offer a Finder, that whelps you browsing the List. Since many People have rewuested this, I have added a Button that allows you to create Text list out of the Name Map Listings "
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Sometimes you just have to make the spreadsheet and do the data entry.

May I suggest mine to start out with? http://simfileshare.net/download/294670/

@JDacapo made a modification to it, if you'd like to look at that too. http://www.simfileshare.net/download/490520/

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 10:03 PM
Aren't gender and age fields in the sim browser?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Say, I want all the ID numbers that are all playable males... without going through and identifying them myself. How could I do that? I'm willing to put the data where ever it needs to be to sort it, if I can get that data somehow. The data exists - ought to be a way to extract it.

As I said, Boolean searches are not possible. You'll have to do it manually.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 12:22 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 8th Aug 2018 at 3:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Aren't gender and age fields in the sim browser?

Sortable? Where? I see life stage, but is there a way to see gender or even human? Because if you sort by life stage you also get adult pets. If you wanted a list of all the human male Sim IDs in your hood without going through the names and pics to find them individually, how would you make that list?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 6:55 PM
Well, SimPE will generate a CSV file of sims if you give it the -rufio command line argument along with the neighborhood. I'll have to look up the exact argument names at home. Then you can just import that into Excel and sort it to your heart's content.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:14 PM
Oh yes- I forgot about your SimSheet!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:22 PM
Well, SimPE will generate a CSV file of sims if you give it the -rufio command line argument along with the neighborhood. I'll have to look up the exact argument names at home. Then you can just import that into Excel and sort it to your heart's content.

That's what I want to know, @kestrellyn! Yes, please do let me know how! And, please, if you can link to this type of information, I'd love to learn it, too.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 11:54 PM
Okay, it's all coming back to me now!

From my notes:
Quote: Originally posted by Inge
Make a shortcut to Simpe, and then edit the shortcut properties so that after the string already in Target, you add just -rufio
Run it. The output folder should be in your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder

If you like you can add -hood N00x (where x is a number) to both those tests to limit the output to one hood.

You can also change the output path by adding -out <filepath> (If you have a path with spaces - like "My Documents" then the whole path needs to be in quotes)

Quote: Originally posted by Rufio
From command line:
cd C:\path\to\new\SimPEQA\
SimPe.exe -rufio -hood NXXX

That's how to do it from the command line.

I always liked this output feature of SimPE that @kestrellyn helped to implement, as it gives you not only a csv but also an output of your characters' thumbnails.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:16 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 9th Aug 2018 at 2:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Okay, it's all coming back to me now!
From my notes:
You can also change the output path by adding -out <filepath> (If you have a path with spaces - like "My Documents" then the whole path needs to be in quotes)
That's how to do it from the command line.
I always liked this output feature of SimPE that @kestrellyn helped to implement, as it gives you not only a csv but also an output of your characters' thumbnails.

OMG! Thank you! THAT'S what I was asking for. It made no sense to me that the info was right there in SimPE, but for some odd reason couldn't be extracted. I'm very grateful to you and to @kestrellyn for reminding you and, from what you say, maybe helping to implement this? I, now, in just seconds, have an absolutely glorious spread sheet of all sim info in my hood and, with this, I can pursue my ideas. I'm ridiculously happy, @simsample, thank you, again!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:26 AM
Kestrellyn's Simsheet program is available if you'd like to try it- the dowload links are still active. No idea if that program will help you at all, I haven't used it for years so can't remember entirely what it is capable of. I might dust it off now that this thread reminded me!
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,12737.0.html
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:28 AM

Correction: I did nothing to help implement it, I've never seen SimPE source code. I posted a sim-organizing program that was completely separate from SimPE, some people who were using it wanted to import their sims from SimPE, and Inge kindly set up this export for me so that I could do that. Unfortunately the sim-organizing program has kind of fallen by the wayside, and had some complicated bugs and some restrictive assumptions that went into it in the early stages, so I have no plans at this time to continue working on it. But you can always import this CSV into Excel.

Edit: Yeah, there are still downloads of it available, it might be useful for you. But I know I've run into unfixed bugs in it in the past (nothing dangerous, and you can just clear the sim list and reimport everyone again anyway) due to it being a one-person project which thus had a total lack of proper QA. It is kind of fun to load up a big interconnected neighborhood and browse the family tab for a while, to see how many people are related to each other three or four or five different ways...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:33 AM
Correction: I did nothing to help implement it, I've never seen SimPE source code.

True, but if you hadn't started simsheet then Inge and Peter might never have set up the facility to export to csv. And your feedback from simsheet helped to refine the output, if I remember correctly. I know I've got older since then, I even forgot that SimPE could export to csv until this thread jogged my memory!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:38 AM
Well, it can, and everyone should know it! [shouting from rooftops] It's amazing! :D
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:42 AM
True, but if you hadn't started simsheet then Inge and Peter might never have set up the facility to export to csv. And your feedback from simsheet helped to refine the output, if I remember correctly. I know I've got older since then, I even forgot that SimPE could export to csv until this thread jogged my memory!

Yeah, I think a couple of fields might have gotten changed. I don't think we ever got actual text descriptions of LTWs, though.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 1:02 AM
You could always export to a csv - did that change? I used to do it for the old sim organising programme. What was that called? Oh Simtracker: http://modthesims.info/d/464379 - shame she stopped doing that. I think that poster might have been ill (or perhaps worse) - anyway, she stopped posting several years ago.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 1:12 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 9th Aug 2018 at 1:33 AM.
You could always export to a csv - did that change? I used to do it for the old sim organising programme. What was that called? Oh Simtracker: http://modthesims.info/d/464379 - shame she stopped doing that. I think that poster might have been ill (or perhaps worse) - anyway, she stopped posting several years ago.

Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Is there already a way to do this in SimPE somewhere, or does anyone have a suggestion for exporting the info to a spreadsheet or something that could be sorted?

That's what I was asking, how to export that data so I could sort it. Was that not clear? Anyway, I'm grateful. I'm having a great time with it!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 8:50 AM
You could always export to a csv - did that change?

That's the same function that I mentioned- implemented for the Simsheet program. So it didn't exist before then. Neighbourhood>Export.

RebaLynn died, sadly.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:58 PM
That's the same function that I mentioned- implemented for the Simsheet program. So it didn't exist before then. Neighbourhood>Export.

Yes, I remember now. That's what I did.

RebaLynn died, sadly.

Oh I thought that was it - but couldn't remember securely. That's sad - she was nice. I talked to her a bit when she was making the tracker.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 1:35 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 31st Jan 2019 at 6:48 PM.

(

Yes, I remember now. That's what I did.

Just to clarify the information that answers my original question for the thread for future searchers. This is the easy answer. SimPE has a Neighborhood >Export Neighborhoods function that puts all the sim and lot info into comma delimited text files so they can be loaded into Excel and sorted. There's no need to enter any of the info by hand, as this works beautifully.

The function allows you to choose a folder for the output, then a hood to export. In SimPE, it will look as if nothing has happened, but the folder you chose will hold another folder called Rufio containing text files with all your info as well as folders with the sim and lot thumbnails. This is the same function as the one simsample described in command line format.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 8:24 PM
The command line function or creating a shortcut with the modified parameters mean that you don't have to actually start SimPE to export your neighbourhood.
Page 1 of 2