Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:48 PM Last edited by Picassokilling : 4th Jun 2009 at 2:11 PM.
Default Game doesn't install
When I place the disc in the computer, it doesn't begin to install. How do I do it manually?
I have Windows Vista.

Edit: Apparantly it seems that the computer doens't recognize the disc? I have no idea what to do.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:18 PM
Go to Start / Computer / Right Click the DVD drive and select Explore. Find TheSims3.exe or Install.exe or Setup.exe and double click - I don't have the game to say exactly what the filename is.

But another question would be, is the game a DVD and you only have a CD drive?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:29 PM
I thought about that, but I M&G stuff, which is a DVD too, and it works fine. And my drive is both for DVD and CD.
The funny thing is, that when I placed the disc in the drive, it recognized it as M&G, but the files was sims3 files.
Then I took the disc out and restarted the computer, and know it doens't recognize it any more. It's like it thinks it's a empty DVD?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#4 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:41 PM
Have you tried using another CD and DVD? Make sure that the drive itself is functioning. Considering the software we are talking about, I would suspect SecuROM has disabled your drives.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:47 PM
Well I just played with M&G yesterday, and it worked fine. I've never had this problem before. So if it's SecuROM, there's no way to fix it?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#6 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:01 PM
Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean it works today, so you should try another CD/DVD today. Because today it *doesn't* work, always verify that the drive is broken and it is not just the media.

As for SecuROM there is a new tool that I have heard good things about, you just use it after you play a game that has SecuROM and it removes it before it can damage your drives. I've not used it since I don't have SecuROM to begin with.

Reclaim Your Game, there are directions on how to use it and they have a forum supporting it as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:06 PM
Ok thanks. I've tried installing the game on my laptop and it installs fine, but I'll try another CD to be sure.
Instructor
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:13 PM
Hmm
I had the same problem at first. I put in the disk and nothing would happen...

Since I had already updated all of my drivers, I started sniffing around in msconfig. It turned out to be one tiny file under startup called unregmp2. I disabled it with everything thing else under services and startup enabled and luckily my problem was solved.

If anyone else is having this problem, they should check their msconfig files too just in case.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:14 PM
I check that thanks. I'll get back here to say if it worked.