Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 10:18 AM Last edited by Krykky : 17th Jan 2017 at 10:56 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default (Resolved) Getting Create-A-World to work in a custom file path installation?
Hey everyone,

First-time poster here, the community seems really helpful so I'm hoping someone a little more tech-savvy can help me out.

Up until recently, my Sims 3 was so slow, the lag was terrible. My computer doesn't have much in the way of internal memory, and with all of the expansions (and too much custom content- eep) installed, my computer had less than 2GB of memory left. It would take well over an hour just to boot the game up, and for a long time I lost interest in playing because it was just so slow.

My computer has a secondary storage drive though, sort of like an external harddrive but inside the computer, and that's where I install most of my games. I once tried to install Sims 3 on that drive instead of in my C: drive, quite a few years ago, but it didn't work. Recently, on a whim I tried to install it on the terabyte drive again (and culled back the amount of custom content I have installed!), and it worked perfectly. I should also mention that this installation was the first time installing digital copies through Origin. I purchased the base game and all of my expansions on disk, but in an attempt to downsize, I registered all my game keys and disposed of the disks and packaging. I'm not sure if that's relevant to my troubles at all, but I thought I should mention it. Anyway, my game has never run so fast, and I've quickly become addicted to the game all over again.

(the file path, if it helps, is: "F:/Games/The Sims 3 Collection/The Sims")

The trouble is that Create-A-World no longer works for me. I love making custom Sims 3 worlds of my own, especially making ones that use (and thematically support) content from all the expansions so that I never miss out on any game content. I expected this would probably happen since the games were now installed on two different harddrives, so I backed up all my saves for CAW, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it in the same parent folder on the same drive as the game, under "F:/Games/The Sims 3 Collection/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool". Unfortunately, this didn't work either. When I try to open CAW, I seem to get two completely separate error messages:

Quote:
The Sims 3 Create a World Tool - Beta has experienced a failure!
The Sims 3 game data was not found. The Sims 3 Create a World Tool - Beta may not function properly.

Quote:
The Sims 3 Create a World Tool - Beta has crashed!
Exception information:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

I've browsed around the forums a bit and have found some fixes for both those error codes individually, but I feel like my situation is a bit more unique. I'm hoping someone here who knows a bit more about custom installation might be able to point me in the right direction! I'd be very grateful.

I read your forum terms carefully to try not to step on anyone's toes or annoy everyone, so I've tried to provide as much information as I can, but if anything else is needed I'll do my best to find any other information.

Games installed (all official, legitimately purchased versions):
Base Game, WA, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, UL, IP, and ITF. I also have High End Loft Stuff, Master Suite Stuff, Fast Lane Stuff, and 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff.\

Game version:

System:
Windows 7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
64-bit OS
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4CPUs), ~3.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 10:53 AM
**Update**: I had been fiddling around with the installation of CAW before posting this thread. Just now when I tried to boot the Sims up, Origin told me I'd need to re-install the base game. I'm not sure what happened there, but I did so. Now when I try to boot up CAW, it only gives me one of the error messages:

Quote:
The Sims 3 Create a World Tool - Beta has crashed!
Exception information:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

The error message about being unable to find game data doesn't show up anymore. I must have accidentally removed something important when I was fiddling with the CAW installation.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 10:56 AM
Hey everyone,

I did some more digging and found out that it had nothing to do with my installation path and entirely everything to do with CAW apparently having a heart attack when patch 1.69 came out. I found this official forum thread , downloaded the version of CAW linked by SimGuruDrake, and now it's running! I hope this might be helpful to someone else in the future.

Stay beautiful x