Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 7:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default S3PE Issue
Hi,

So I recently was given a Mac for Christmas, so I jumped straight into installing sims and custom content. One fantastic thing the Mac does is automatically extract custom content from packages. But this becomes an issue when I download S3PE, I've watched a tutorial online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3tQKWCcDc and read: http://www.fakehousesrealawesome.co...-mac-extracting

I've followed all instructions to how as is, (except extracting files- my Mac is a newer version than the youtuber's) but when I reach the terminal section and type in Mono, then type in to open up S3PE, it comes up with an error message: File does not contain a valid CIL image

Anyway around this? I simply have too much custom content to not have the issue resolved.
Help appreciated
- Bosco
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 11:01 PM Last edited by igazor : 28th Jan 2017 at 12:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by bosco133
Hi,

So I recently was given a Mac for Christmas, so I jumped straight into installing sims and custom content. One fantastic thing the Mac does is automatically extract custom content from packages. But this becomes an issue when I download S3PE, I've watched a tutorial online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3tQKWCcDc and read: http://www.fakehousesrealawesome.co...-mac-extracting

I've followed all instructions to how as is, (except extracting files- my Mac is a newer version than the youtuber's) but when I reach the terminal section and type in Mono, then type in to open up S3PE, it comes up with an error message: File does not contain a valid CIL image

Anyway around this? I simply have too much custom content to not have the issue resolved.
Help appreciated
- Bosco

You're probably not going to like this answer, but here goes anyway.

I have never gotten S3PE or any similar tools to work on OS X through Mono and X11 (I recall XQuartz came into play here someplace) even on the older versions of the operating system; Lion was as far back as I went with TS3. There are many others who report the same thing, in fact I would say many more who have never been able to than those who have successfully. On the more recent versions of OS X meaning Mavericks and higher, I would say this would be impossible though I would happy to be proven wrong.

There are two other ways around this, but both involve having Windows around to some extent.

1 - Shuffle the files you want worked with to a computer running Windows or a Bootcamp partition and use the tools there. Then bring the files back to your Mac.

2 - Forget about TS3 for Mac. I'm really sorry to say this because I love Macs and I love TS3. But this one iteration of the game on OS X is a total mess from beginning to end because of the way EA designed things. If Bootcamp is within a player's reach, they have the drive space, and they can tolerate managing two operating systems, I always recommend using that and working with TS3 exclusively on the Windows side as I have been doing for years now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You're probably not going to like this answer, but here goes anyway.

I have never gotten S3PE or any similar tools to work on OS X through Mono and X11 (I recall XQuartz came into play here someplace) even on the older versions of the operating system; Lion was as far back as I went with TS3. There are many others who report the same thing, in fact I would say many more who have never been able to than those who have successfully. On the more recent versions of OS X meaning Mavericks and higher, I would say this would be impossible though I would happy to be proven wrong.

There are two other ways around this, but both involve having Windows around to some extent.

1 - Shuffle the files you want worked with to a computer running Windows or a Bootcamp partition and use the tools there. Then bring the files back to your Mac.

2 - Forget about TS3 for Mac. I'm really sorry to say this because I love Macs and I love TS3. But this one iteration of the game on OS X is a total mess from beginning to end because of the way EA designed things. If Bootcamp is within a player's reach, they have the drive space, and they can tolerate managing two operating systems, I always recommend using that and working with TS3 exclusively on the Windows side as I have been doing for years now.

Oh, that's a real big shame. hopefully something gets updated // I find something that works...
unfortunately it doesn't seem there will be a solution in the near future