Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 8:56 AM
Default "Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals" causing game freeze
Hello, as my title states, every time I select the "Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals" decorative object (nope, not in wall hangings, cuz that would make sense), I get a complete stop to the game and can do nothing but end the task through Task Manager.
Of course, I suspect CC as I have a considerable amount, but am just trying to discern what kind could have caused this.

I use CC Magic (best idea I ever switched to), and have used Dashboard to sort conflicts in my .package files with no luck, although there were some conflicts that needed addressing of course, so that's a plus (yay for itty bitty speed increases!). I see no way to search for conflicts with Sims3packs either alone or against .package files.

Naturally, I can go the 50% route if necessary, but am curious if anyone here has experienced the same problem with the same object or had any quicker possible solutions? Of course, I don't NEED to use the Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals but knowing that I cannot use the Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals makes me WANT to use the Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals because this is an evil game that only feeds upon disorders including the one that would suit that description.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 8:12 PM
I feel like I remember seeing a piece of CC (possibly glitched) that was built on this bulletin board to be a message board mod, I wonder if you have an older version of that mod?

Edit:
I was wrong, it uses a corkboard that is basegame, not from UL, but just in case
This is the original which is broken: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=381598
This is the version Arsil made which is fixed and working at least to 1.67: http://modthesims.info/d/538655
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 9:23 AM
Hm, it's been a while since I've tried that but I think you can check your sims3pack content with Dashboard against packages by temporarily adding copies of your *.dbc and *.ebc files from the DCCache folder into your Mods/Packages folder. It is just possible, though, that this will give you a lot of potential conflicts that aren't really conflicts.

But since you are already sure that it is one particular object that's causing problems I would also try to extract the bulletin board from the game files (clone it with S3OC and uncheck the "renumber" box before extracting) as a *.package file and add that to your Mods/Packages folder temporarily, too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 12:39 PM
Thanks folks, for the replies and help.
@orose: Yeah, I've checked for the mod, but I'm about 98% it's not in there so far, but that was good to know and I didn't even think it might have been a mod doing it... now I wonder.

@Don Babilon: I will be attempting your 2nd suggestion there to see if that works. That's good info I had no idea about.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Thanks folks, for the replies and help.
@orose: Yeah, I've checked for the mod, but I'm about 98% it's not in there so far, but that was good to know and I didn't even think it might have been a mod doing it... now I wonder.

@Don Babilon: I will be attempting your 2nd suggestion there to see if that works. That's good info I had no idea about.

Is University installed in the right order? I know that it sounds like a very trivial question, but expansions can cause problems like this if they're installed in the wrong order. The correct order is the base game, World Adventures, High End Loft Stuff, Ambitions, Fast lane Stuff, Late Night, Outdoor Living Stuff, Generations, Town Life Stuff, Pets, Master Suite Stuff, Showtime, Katy Perry's Sweet Treats Stuff (why does that even exist?), Diesel Stuff, Supernatural, Seasons, 70's, 80's and 90's Stuff, University Life, Island Paradise, Movie Stuff and Into the Future.
If that doesn't work, just answer, because I'm subscribing.

Best Regards,
Aron
P.S. I am not affiliated or work for EA in any way, shape, or form, and all my fixes are from my personal experience. If you are having trouble with your game and I didn't help out, check out Crinrict's blog.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DatGuyAron
Is University installed in the right order? I know that it sounds like a very trivial question, but expansions can cause problems like this if they're installed in the wrong order.

This may have been true at one time up to around Ambitions and Patch 1.12 (apparently that's been considered debatable as well), but for legitimate installs of the game the EP/SP install order doesn't matter for TS3 anymore.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 12:18 AM
@DatGuyAron: As igazor mentions, the order is technically unimportant now, but regardless, I do install them in order very, very carefully every time because I'm overly-cautious about it.
HowEVER, you bring up an interesting point, which is that for my "university", I have an alternate one installed, so I wonder if it has something to do with that. Unfortunately, I haven't sent anyone to Uni yet, so I'm not even positive it works as it's supposed to, but this is a new angle to consider.

Yeah, I still have not figured out how to place the "Tacky Memories Bulletin Board by Gal Pals" at this point. I've been able to avoid using it, but there's... there's a teen coming up who has a lot of reason to use it... what to do? what to do?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DatGuyAron
Drastic situations require drastic measures. I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to do a full-on registry uninstall and reainstall in order to fix this. I am so sorry.

A full reinstall of what I assume is a properly functioning game because one Buy Mode category item is not working right? Please tell us that you are not being serious here.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
A full reinstall of what I assume is a properly functioning game because one Buy Mode category item is not working right? Please tell us that you are not being serious here.

Alright. Perhaps I went a little TOO FAR. I'm sorry about that.

Best Regards,
Aron
P.S. I am not affiliated or work for EA in any way, shape, or form, and all my fixes are from my personal experience. If you are having trouble with your game and I didn't help out, check out Crinrict's blog.
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th Oct 2022 at 6:02 PM
Hi, I know this thread is probably dead, but I wonder if you have ever resolved this issue? I have the exact same one, I have searched for the broken bulletin mod, but I cannot find it in my mods, although I do remember having a bulletin like that one/installing it once (something along those lines XD). So then I installed the Arsil's fixed one and reentered the game (without clearing my caches - I forgot XD, but it actually worked, upon selecting it the 1st time around and even recoloring it. Until I redid it again and boom, the game froze again...) I have checked it all through Delphy's dashboard, I even rechecked my merged packages for the exact files through search and ran it again after I have added Arsil's mod). Nothing, it bothers me quite a lot, I wanted to use it - I have no idea how to use S3OC, even S3PE (I only use it for merging packages and the "basic" stuff), if anyone has had the same issue/can resolve it - please help. Thanks a lot.

Edit: I have since cleared the caches and the only thing it did is that it now crashes after 1st time selecting it XD... I have quite OCD tendencies about it now, like the OP, tbh. But I am sure it would either show as conflicted or duplicate mods, if I had it in the 1st place - could it be another bulletin (mod) that does that? I have a lot of CC, but it's fine, the game works and runs fine otherwise and although it's a very petty thing, it almost makes me lose my mind XD...