Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 7:16 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Crash error when loading CAW world in game
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting (apologies if I’m doing something wrong) but I am at my wits end.

I am using the CAW tool for the first time, trying to make my own world. Everything seemed to be going great until about a week ago when I started getting the “A serious error has occurred when loading [name].world. Please try restarting the application” message. This error occurs when attempting to load the world from the Main Menu—the world is listed in the drop-down menu, but the green bar only fills a miniscule amount before abruptly jumping to full and then the screen goes black and the error message appears. When I click OK it boots me back to the Main Menu. I’ve searched everywhere for the answer and tried everything to fix it with no luck.

For some background, the first time I exported and installed my (incomplete) world into my game to nail down my lot placement and such, everything went fine. I was able to load my world fine and spent a few weeks editing and saving lots, making notes of changes I wanted to make in CAW. During this time I never had any issues. When I was ready, I uninstalled my world and made the desired changes in CAW plus added a few effects (which I hadn’t yet done) such as waves, seagulls, a waterfall, and some trees. Then I saved, exported, and installed my world again. But this time, when I tried to load it, I got the error. Now, even when I install the previous version of my world that worked perfectly the first time, I still get the error. All my other non-CAW worlds and saves are loading fine.

Things I have already tried to fix this problem:
Restarted my computer
Cleared caches, including DCCache
Rebuilt routing data in CAW before saving the world
Made sure the file name and global layer name within CAW match
Uninstalled and reinstalled CAW
Uninstalled from the launcher all the sims3packs I had downloaded in the last month since I started using CAW
Removed my mods folder from my Sims 3 folder
Moved the Sims 3 folder to the desktop and tried using my world in a clean game
Unlocked read-only files for my Electronic Arts folder

Nothing I’ve tried has had any affect. Help???
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 7:49 AM
I usually get this error when I have the EA user data folder opened in the file explorer. Have you tried closing all file explorer windows before you start your game? Maybe it's such a small thing .

Quote: Originally posted by evalecia
Things I have already tried to fix this problem:
Made sure the file name and global layer name within CAW match

What do you mean with this? The global layer is always called global layer. This shouldn't be changed (not sure if it was even possible). If you mean the name you give as world name in your .world-layer (the very topmost one), this can be freely chosen. When you export your world this is what the sims3pack is named automatically. The filename is rather unimportant though, changing it doesn't affect anything. The only thing you should make sure is not to use any special characters, dots, hyphens etc in world name and file name. Just plain letters (and numbers).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
I usually get this error when I have the EA user data folder opened in the file explorer. Have you tried closing all file explorer windows before you start your game? Maybe it's such a small thing .

What do you mean with this? The global layer is always called global layer. This shouldn't be changed (not sure if it was even possible). If you mean the name you give as world name in your .world-layer (the very topmost one), this can be freely chosen. When you export your world this is what the sims3pack is named automatically. The filename is rather unimportant though, changing it doesn't affect anything. The only thing you should make sure is not to use any special characters, dots, hyphens etc in world name and file name. Just plain letters (and numbers).

Yes, I make sure all folders are closed before starting my game.

Oops, I did mean the .world-layer. In trying to find a solution to my problem, some people have said that the names must match exactly.