Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 7:30 PM Last edited by emino : 9th Nov 2017 at 8:54 PM.
Default Cats & Dogs First Impression (Actual Experiences)
Now that the game is released in some parts of the world, maybe its time for the regular thread to share actual experiences. Since I am on leave today, maybe you can tell me what you wanna see and I can try them?

I am still in the process of creating my first pet (a dog for my Stardew Valley sim Alex x Penny) and I chuckled to see the fitness and fat slider is there for the animals lol.

Anyway, is this share thingy new as I dont recall seeing them before:

Sims can take the dog to go on a an adventure (I'm assuming this has something to do with his Adventurous trait?) or a jog. Will try this later.

Ok adventure seems to lead to sims off lot (rabbit hole style) and gives us a text based mini game which will reward you based on your choices. I am assuming a bit of random outcome is also involves?

Additional note: I am guessing custom careers are broken as Penny refused to go to work as a school teacher. Oh well. *shrugs*

I am also guessing they revamp the Go To menu, I dont recall seeing Romance and Club there previously?

Oh the clinic is visit-able like the restaurant for not vet sim (unlike hospital and police station). Alex is checking buster in for a checkup:

The pet item sold at the vet clinic is hella whack I'm telling ya:

Good to see vaccination is a thing:

Ok I was busy making sure my pregnant sim doesnt die of hunger at the pet park when I saw this popup:

So the rumor about clothes-wearing strays is true. Although this one might be intentionally designed. There's no way a stray named mayor just happened to be randomly wearing a top hat and a bow tie! Desire to adopt intensifies!!!

Good to know you can use that large turd as fertilizers. lol

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 9:01 PM
Overall thoughts/verdict/rating so far on the first day?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Overall thoughts/verdict/rating so far on the first day?

I like the interactions and animations. Things for dogs a bit lacking if compared to things for cats. Also its almost natural for me to try to control the pets as it has been that way with sims, so now have to adapt to asking them whats wrong instead.

Overall I like it. I feel like the dogs are fleshed out compared to previous iterations (havent had the cat yet).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 9:08 PM
Thank you for all this information. EA needs to change it though about popups about pics. Seeing one for every photo taken is a royal pain, if still the case. I like that the pet can be taken to the clinic.

edit: I see there is a don't show this again option....... good!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 9:10 PM Last edited by emino : 9th Nov 2017 at 9:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Thank you for all this information. EA needs to change it though about popups about pics. Seeing one for every photo taken is a royal pain, if still the case. I like that the pet can be taken to the clinic.

I think the reason why I havent notice the popup is because I usually use Cameraman mode, which doenst pop that thing. So it might've been there longer lol.

Additional note: Penny is giving birth at the hospital and I notice you cant take pets to the hospital. Makes sense. LOL

This leads me to wonder what else can we SimStagram apart from food and pets:

Ok I'm gonna take a quick nap. Keep the question/feedback coming and I'll get to them after a while.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 10:06 PM
Thanks, emino I appreciate the First Impression and glad you are so far enjoying the EP happing simming.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 11:07 PM Last edited by emino : 9th Nov 2017 at 11:58 PM.
Ok back from my short nap. I am going to refocus my effort today into adopting a stray cat! Stay tuned!

My dog often does this howling thing and hearts coming out at food and sims. Didnt know what it meant yet. Perhaps sign of their affection?

Ok I'm not sure what's happening but the game is telling me she is running away yet she's just there sleeping? lol

Ok she did wake up and run lol. Time to hunt for this (literal) bitch!

Family members becomes sad when pets run.

----

Full view of the neighborhood from the park. During the livestream the dev says the town is inspired by Gilmore Girl's Stars Hollow and I agree it does!

After a whole day at the park, no sign of the stray Mayor Whiskers is found. Better luck next day!

---

Returning home to see Buster is back! Hooray!

He even brought home a gift. I dint know dogs can wrap. The gift turns out to be one of the collectible fossils.

Scholar
#8 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 11:57 PM Last edited by spidergirl79 : 10th Nov 2017 at 12:14 AM.
I'll let you know when I can figure out how the plum to install it. (ETA: I guess I can't because it's the 9th in Canada, although it has had two release dates in my Origin, 9 and 10, so I guess 10th it is. Enjoy your pets.)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:05 AM
So is there anything you can do to stop your pet from running away? Is there a reason it ran away in the first place or does this just happen completely at random?

The Receptacle still lives!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:07 AM
When a dog asked to be walked but you're hungry.

---

Since I failed to locate the stray - Mayor Whiskers, I decided to look at adoption list. Sadly, none of them are Mayor Whiskers. JUST KEEP LOOKING THEN!

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
So is there anything you can do to stop your pet from running away? Is there a reason it ran away in the first place or does this just happen completely at random?

I believe it happens to me because my pet has the Adventurous trait. Considering he brought home a gift, that might be it though.But that's just a theory.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:09 AM
So who are the sadistic fucks that named their cats Asparagus?
Quote: Originally posted by emino
I believe it happens to me because my pet has the Adventurous trait. Considering he brought home a gift, that might be it though.But that's just a theory.

Heh...even if they always come back, that could end up being really annoying. To me at least, since I'm the type of simmer who needs to always be in control XD

The Receptacle still lives!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:34 AM Last edited by emino : 10th Nov 2017 at 4:35 AM.
Ok I just found out why its so hard to find Mayor Whiskers. There's like 6 new lot traits for Cats and Dogs (Dog Friendly, Dog Hangout, Cat Friendly, Cat Hangout, Breeding Ground and Training Ground). And Pupperstone Park by default is Dog Friendly only (meaning owners will come with their dogs instead of any strays aka Hangout). My quick scan shows another place, a bar called Salty Paws saloon is where all the stray cat goes.

Ok I am adding Dog Hangout and Training Ground to Pupperstone Park because its just logical to have and heading over to Salty Paws.

---

Yassss after few days of courting Mayor Whiskers the adopt option finally came out! Mayor Whiskers are now officially a member of the family. I even have to put my own lot as a Cat Hangout and suffer the many meows.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 6:09 AM
Thank you for all the new pics and info. Asparagus. Twice! Egad. I hope the pets do not run away often or get sick too often. My sim in 3 just had her cat taken away from neglect(!). Before when I had pets they were in large households so got enough attention. She was gone so often the cat was taken. Bad pet mama! LOL

Congrats on adopting the mayor!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 6:54 AM
OK I've been sending my couple for vacation (leaving the kid and pets behind) because they cant seem to find enough time to complete the skills they need for their next promotion with those 3 around. So its like a boot camp to raise their skills in uninterrupted space. Will post again once they are back.
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 7:39 AM
I downloaded my copy about two hours ago and I've been playing a save with Catarina Lynx. OMG. Four cats is too much! It's like my own real-life experience owning four cats! She just almost collapsed from exhaustion trying to keep up with all of them. I can see already I'm sticking to a two pet minimum like I did in Sims 3!

I'm excited to be able to go back to my real save game once the rest of my mods are updated and I can fix the broken custom content I have. I have to say Brindleton Bay is beautiful! It feels so open compared to the other worlds. Windenburg has that feel some, I know, but I'm not just a fan of the architectural style of Windenburg.

I honestly don't regret buying Cats and Dogs. It could use improvement, obviously, but I'm really enjoying it. Most fun I've had since we got toddlers.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 8:02 AM Last edited by emino : 10th Nov 2017 at 8:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I downloaded my copy about two hours ago and I've been playing a save with Catarina Lynx. OMG. Four cats is too much! It's like my own real-life experience owning four cats! She just almost collapsed from exhaustion trying to keep up with all of them. I can see already I'm sticking to a two pet minimum like I did in Sims 3!

I'm excited to be able to go back to my real save game once the rest of my mods are updated and I can fix the broken custom content I have. I have to say Brindleton Bay is beautiful! It feels so open compared to the other worlds. Windenburg has that feel some, I know, but I'm not just a fan of the architectural style of Windenburg.

I honestly don't regret buying Cats and Dogs. It could use improvement, obviously, but I'm really enjoying it. Most fun I've had since we got toddlers.

Not to mention Toddler and Dogs works well together. The toddler can talk to the dog/cat and imitate it, improving both speech and imagination skill. And all that chasing the dog around the house would improve their Movement too.

---

One nice touch I like is that sometimes your dogs will greet you when you return home from work. Your cats however... Cant be bothered lol.
Scholar
#17 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 9:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
Not to mention Toddler and Dogs works well together. The toddler can talk to the dog/cat and imitate it, improving both speech and imagination skill. And all that chasing the dog around the house would improve their Movement too.

---

One nice touch I like is that sometimes your dogs will greet you when you return home from work. Your cats however... Cant be bothered lol.

That's so cute! I can't wait to play my regular families again!
Scholar
#18 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 10:02 AM
I spotted this lovely gem just a little while ago. God help me, what has Maxis done to these vendor outfits?! It's bad enough they assign a vampire to a daytime role, but those shoes?! Even this stray cat agrees with me. I'm gonna have to check out the vendors in San Myshuno next.

I've also noticed there's not a lot of people walking around this area - instead it's just strays, maybe because it's a new game with just the premades and lots of empty lots, because I noticed it was mostly strays at night too. I hold fast to my opinion that four cats is a real challenge. It's like you need a litter box for every cat and this poor Sim's house isn't big enough for that!

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I spotted this lovely gem just a little while ago. God help me, what has Maxis done to these vendor outfits?! It's bad enough they assign a vampire to a daytime role, but those shoes?! Even this stray cat agrees with me. I'm gonna have to check out the vendors in San Myshuno next.

I've also noticed there's not a lot of people walking around this area - instead it's just strays, maybe because it's a new game with just the premades and lots of empty lots, because I noticed it was mostly strays at night too. I hold fast to my opinion that four cats is a real challenge. It's like you need a litter box for every cat and this poor Sim's house isn't big enough for that!

Ah I believe they assigned a Cat Hangout trait there, which encourages strays to come and play.
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 11:30 AM
those cats eyes look stupid it literally looks like a damned statue

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
dodgy builder
#21 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 11:55 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 10th Nov 2017 at 2:05 PM.
The dogbed is annoyingly square, please someone make me a rectangular one I can place by the wall.

... lol, my Mari can play in the dogs pee! She can sell the dogs poo, but she doesn't get anything for it.

Edit: I realised I didn't have a waste basket or trashcan. No wonder the invertory was the only option
Field Researcher
#22 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:07 PM
I made my friend buy me this game for my birthday and I was surprised how much I like it. Everyone was so up in arms about the pets not being controllable but so far I haven't really missed it, at least on my end. I love the toddler interactions, so cute.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#23 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 12:58 PM
Not MY PERSONAL experience, but still something I haven't seen before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...eat_out_of_the/
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 1:36 PM Last edited by LivB08 : 10th Nov 2017 at 2:21 PM.
Can't wait to create some pets for my households! I have to wait a little bit though because I'm in the middle of a big CC cleanup. Meanwhile just going through this thread is really exiting

I love Mayor Whiskers! He's so adorable<3
Field Researcher
#25 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 1:48 PM
so far I can't figure out if pets have a simology panel somewhere for age or skills, etc. I can't find any.
Also slight annoyance that you can't get the game to do the super fast forward when at work or sleeping when your pets are awake.
Page 1 of 6