Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 12:19 PM
Default Anachronisms in TSM
This here topic is just a casual discussion about non-Medieval elements in the game. Don't get me wrong, I love Sims Medieval, but it shouldn't be called like that, because, seriously, as much as there are many medieval tropes: Feudalism, Knights, Plagues, Religion, there are also many elements which didn't belong in this era, especially with P&N expansion, and as an Archaeology student, and history nerd myself, I was compelled to compile such a list. So, without further ado, let's start, shall we? Also, a short disclaimer: I know Sims Medieval isn't supposed to be realistic depiction of Middle Ages, given the many fantastic elements, like magic, dragons, Crab Bandits, and whatnot. I just think it would be an interesting discussion to point out some historical inaccuracies in a game that claims to be set in given era. Also, as I said, I'm a nerd and I like to nitpick.

First and foremost: The abundance of books, In the game, even a Blacksmith can buy himself a bookshelf, filled to the brim with tomes. Not to mention, that even a poor servant, or peasant can read. This couldn't be possible without a printing press, which IRL was invented in late XV century by Joannes Gutenberg, and it's invention was one of the many milestones which marked the end of Middle Ages. Prior to that, even Kings could be illiterate, and only monks in monasteries could copy the books, which were considered a treasure, worth a fortune, because there was no paper, and writing materials were expensive. Plus, what makes absolutely no sense, in the quest "Make Books, Not War", it is clearly shown, that the Peteran Monks are copying books BY HAND, Caligraphy, iluminations and all of that. If that's the case, the books shouldn't be that abundant, because making, or copying a Manuscript took years to complete

Secondly, look at the ship in the docks, It has a steering wheel, multiple sails, and complicated rigging, this is NOT how a medieval ship looked like, they were more akin to viking drakkars, such shipwrighting novelties came again, in late XV-XVI century, and such ships were called Caravels, on three of those Christopher Columbus sailed to America.

Third of all, The Peteran/Jacobian rivalry, it reeks an awful lot like the Reformation movement, which started in 1517, with Martin Luther, and his ninety seven theses nailed to the door of church in Luther's home town of Wittenberg. Of course, there were earlier schisms, but there are uncanny resemblences between the churches in TSM, and the Real Life Catholic and Protestant churches, Jacobites resembling the former with their own country (Yacothia is like the equivalent of Vatican), lavish gothic cathedrals, and their fatalistic approach to Watcher and the ability to Absolve the sinners, which is like selling them indulgences, and Peterans latter, with their humble monastery, more human-like and down-to-earth view on the Watcher, and no indulgence selling/absolving.

Also, there's the Playwright aspect of a bard profession: Even though the institution of theater was known since ancient Greece, there wasn't much of that in medieval times, Sure, there were wandering troupes of actors, but they mostly performed either at noble and royal courts, or fairs, and it either were puppet shows, or religious plays. The theater as it is shown in the game, with original plays, with stationary scene was non-existent until Elisabethan/Tudor era in England, and emergence of William Shakespeare and his Globe Theater.

There are also some minor design choices for armor, clothes and furniture, that aren't quite medieval, for example, there's a spyglass, IRL invented in 17th century by Galileo, both Pirates and Nobles, and even kids wear tricorne hats, not in fashion until 18th century, Tredonian fashion belongs in Rennaissance Italy, the Adamantle Battleplate looks like armor worn by 17th century cavalrymen, not medieval knights, Rapiers are a 16th century invention, some of the furniture is clearly in Baroque style, and much more.

So to conclude, I think this game should be called at least Sims Renaissance, but what are your thoughts? Is there anything I missed? Do you care about historical accuracy in your game, or not?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 12:18 AM
I really like your take on this, and I agree on every point. I never really thought about it much, but you caused me to think on this, thank you.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 7:17 PM
This is a really cool list! However, personally, I do not at all mind the naming of the game, lol. Then again, I'm not that much of a history buff!

(And besides -- this game has witches, wizards, and all other sorts of mystical magical things. Perhaps some of these aspects were advanced by magical means. c; )