Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 4:13 AM
Default A way to make a room "outdoors"
If I want to make a building with an outdoor courtyard in the middle, a feature I like a lot in real life, I am unable to do so because the area is surrounded by walls and is therefore deemed "indoors" by the game, even if there is no roof. Is there some kind of hacked object or something that will make a room get treated as "outdoors", with sun and weather and all that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 5:25 AM
You need to have some small break in the walls in order for it to be outdoors. It doesn't need to be big or noticeable, you just need a small conduit from another outdoor area. There's an example of how to do this in Pescado's Awesomespec thread: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg243552
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 7:03 AM
Late Mootilda uploaded such house once: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=403764
If you want to know how it was done, read the comments(and there's link to a thread about some researches)
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 12:33 AM Last edited by Kestin : 14th Aug 2018 at 3:13 AM. Reason: Gone (for now) are the days when my Sims 2 crashing problems took years to solve.
Thanks for the pointers! I'll try it out.
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 1:01 AM
I haven't tested this particular setup myself, but I think it could achieve what you wish for. You can build a regular house with the courtyard in the middle, surrounded by walls. Change some walls to greenhouse walls, like I did here, that will make the game consider the room "outdoors", giving it outdoor lighting. I think that will also make the game think the courtyard is outdoors, since it is surrounded by outdoors as well. I don't know about weather inside the courtyard and this might not even work at all, I'm just brainstorming. Though I see no reason why it shouldn't. Either way, tomorrow or something I might test that in my game and see for myself. I will then post the results.

The approach Mootilda used is far superior than this rudimentary technique. I had thought about it myself when I stumbled upon that thread, which confirmed my suspicions. I haven't found the time, opportunity or will to build a courtyard house yet, but I plan to, maybe in a mansion or a hotel.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!