Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 10:42 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 10th Aug 2018 at 4:04 AM.
Default [SOLVED! But still looking for more] WCIF: Clothing suitable for an Amish family?
I'm finally getting around to that idea of making an Amish family so I can make use of all that nice historic CC that I have. I'm having some trouble finding suitable clothing (and hairstyles) for them, though. All About Style was the first place I thought I'd look (after MTS, of course) but I can't find it.

So does anyone know where I should look? Thanks in advance.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 11:47 PM
Thank you!

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 8:06 AM
Sadly, All About Style has joined the list of dearly departed Sims sites. But it's still available on the Wayback Machine. https://web.archive.org/web/2008031.../victorian.html
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 9:18 AM
Ask @iCad - I believe she has an Amish hood.
Theorist
#6 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 3:47 PM
iCad, is officially on holiday until the end of the month, and stated that she was going radio silence until returning.

As for hairs, you might find some really nice ones that fit the theme at Hat's blog https://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 4:03 AM
I think I've downloaded all of Almighty Hat's hairs already. I keep forgetting that I have them, though.

Some good stuff so far. I'll mark this as solved, but if anyone finds anything more please do send them.

Forum Resident
#8 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 8:30 AM Last edited by chicvibe : 11th Aug 2018 at 2:56 AM.
I just re-uploaded (so far I have about 99% of the TS2 done) stuff for AAS. There is a folder called Prairie that might work for you to clothe your Amish.

The link is in my signature

Pictures are in my dropbox folder, also in my signature.

You can also explore the sub-folders. The TS2 stuff that is not up is the celebrity folder I am working on getting.

I also am getting the original AAS meshes which you can, if you know how, recolor *EDIT* no prairie meshes, but other vintage/historical are available.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 7:37 PM
I got a 403 forbidden error, unfortunately. I think you may sent the wrong link.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 12:03 AM
Cruella did a set at TSR with hats and beards.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I got a 403 forbidden error, unfortunately. I think you may sent the wrong link.

my signature has all the links. You should be able to peruse.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 2:57 AM
Did anyone ever make an elder version of this one? http://digitalperversion.net/garden...07252#msg707252
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Did anyone ever make an elder version of this one? http://digitalperversion.net/garden...07252#msg707252

Did you try enabling the outfit in SimPE to show up for elders? I think elders and adults share the same height but their body meshes are built differently but of course I may be wrong so don't take what I had just wrote as fact.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Did you try enabling the outfit in SimPE to show up for elders? I think elders and adults share the same height but their body meshes are built differently but of course I may be wrong so don't take what I had just wrote as fact.

Unfortunately it's a top and bottom and the elder waist is different from the adult waist, so it won't work.
Scholar
#15 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Unfortunately it's a top and bottom and the elder waist is different from the adult waist, so it won't work.

How different is the elder waist to the adult one? I haven't tested the outfit out yet on Sims 2 because i'm too busy with 3 but when I do I would be sure to try the outfit on an elder.
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 12:25 PM Last edited by iCad : 28th Aug 2018 at 12:47 PM.
Older thread, I know, but I was looking through the notifications I got when I was on an internet-free vacation, and it's a subject of interest to me, so I'm gonna babble...

Yeah, I play a pseudo-Amish neighborhood, but part of the "pseudo" is that they wear "normal" clothing in solid colors and more conservative styles. Mostly, this is because I couldn't find anything authentic for Amish people and didn't feel like making stuff. Yeah, there is Cruella's "Amish" set on T$R that Shasta linked to, but it's really not right. (I grew up among the Amish in northeastern Indiana, and my parents hired Amish folks to run the farm and farmhouse that I grew up in, and some of their kids were my childhood friends and I remain in touch with them to this day, so for an "English," I'm pretty familiar with Amish folks and how and why they live the way they do. ) Anyway, Amish clothing styles vary from community to community, since each has its own rules, but that set wouldn't fly in any of them, especially the clothing for females. It's mostly because they're all Maxis recolors, and I can understand not wanting to make or not knowing how to make new meshes, but even the colors are off. Women/girls wear dresses of dark colors (but plain, no patterns) under aprons that are usually black. The skirts are always full, not form-fitting, and never less than calf-length, and the sleeves are always long or, at the shortest, elbow-length. That set's light blue would be a no-no and the short sleeves and skirts would be scandalous and might get you excommunicated. Men/boys stick mostly to black jackets/pants(with no creases!)/vests with white (for formal occasions/church) or dark-colored shirts. Also, Amish women and children are usually barefoot around the house and when venturing out to work in fields in warm weather, only wearing shoes when going out (in which case they'd be wearing dark, FLAT shoes and (for girls/women) dark stockings. No bare legs, no socks, and no heels). So, some barefoot meshes would be nice for women/girls and male children. For men, straw hats are worn only in the summer and only while outside/working in fields. Otherwise it's black felt or no hat (when indoors). The kopps (prayer caps) in the set aren't the right shape, but that's forgivable given mesh limitations. But, they're really not right in other ways in that, in many Amish communities, only baptized women wear them, and baptism among the Amish only happens once a person decides to join the church, which doesn't happen until late teenhood, at the earliest, after their Rumspringa (which usually starts at 16 and sometimes doesn't end until 21). In some communities only married women wear white kopps, and exchanging a black kopp for a white one is part of the marriage ceremony. So in most Amish communities, female toddlers and children wouldn't wear prayer caps at all or, in those Amish communities where unbaptized girls do wear caps, they'd wear black ones, not white ones. And then, in addition to the kopp (which is worn all the time, except when sleeping), if a woman/girl goes out, in some stricter communities she'd wear a bonnet over the kopp; the bonnet is usually black.

Overall, I think the best I can say about Cruella's set, in terms of authenticity, is that the suspenders-not-belts and the beards are right. Although of course only married Amish men wear beards; unmarried men of any age are meticulously clean-shaven, so the pics of teens with beards is a bit odd, since the Amish don't marry in their teens. They can't marry until they decide whether or no they're being baptized to join the church and staying with the community. Most Amish marry in their early 20s. Also, married men are not allowed to cut their beards (much as women are not allowed to cut their hair), so longer mustache-less beards would be needed, too. Really, I'd call that set Mennonite, not Amish, and while the Mennonites and the Amish are similar in their religious beliefs, both being German/Swiss Anabaptist, they have very different ideas about dress and being "worldly." (The biggest difference is that the Amish are isolationist; the Mennonites are not.)

So, um, yeah, I'm picky. VERY picky. If I'm going to do authentic Amish, then I'm going to do AUTHENTIC Amish...which means making stuff, since authentic stuff doesn't really exist. However, I'm not really fond of making clothing recolors, and I can't mesh, so I chose pseudo-Amish for dress code for my neighborhood. The rule set I use for the neighborhood is largely based on how the Amish really live and WHY they live that way, but I tossed the dress code for practicality purposes.

@Bulbizarre
If you do an Amish family/hood and really want to be authentic...don't go TOO "historical." I understand the impulse, but the Amish aren't really anti-technological; they are ISOLATIONIST. There's a difference. Again, things vary from community to community since they all have their own rules, but for instance, all but the strictest sects (which are rare these days) use modern kitchen appliances like refrigerators and ovens in their homes. They simply use propane-powered ones rather than electric-powered ones. Most also have modern indoor plumbing (i.e flush toilets and normal sinks) these days, driven by gas-powered pumps/water heaters, though many don't have showers and some still have to heat water separately if they want a hot bath, so in most families one bath a week, usually the night before church day, is still the norm, with additional "spot-bathing" at the sink, as needed. (Note: "Church day" isn't necessarily Sunday, for the Amish. Often, it's Saturday or Wednesday. And it doesn't always occur every week. And isn't usually held in a specialized building but rather is held in private homes where the whole community gathers. In very large communities there'll be a church, but most Amish communities are not large in terms of population, so if you're building a small authentic Amish community, don't build a church. And if you DO build one, don't build a fancy one. Amish churches, where they exist, are very plain and don't look much like your standard Protestant church. Often, they look more like a large ranch house or barn with a plain gable roof. Here's one: http://www.amish365.com/wp-content/...ch-1024x680.jpg ) Of course, you can't really do once-a-week bathing in-game, unless you manually fuss with the hygiene motive, but...Well, that WOULD be authentic. Some use propane-powered washing machines for clothing, though most still use manual ones, and they don't generally use dryers at all, instead hanging their wash out to dry. (Not that laundry is a thing in-game, unless you use functional CC machines, but...y'know. ) Overall, the idea is that they stay off public power grids for isolationist reasons, not because they're somehow against electricity. (They aren't.) Many Amish these days generate their own electricity via wind or, increasingly, solar power, in fact, and they will certainly use what they generate themselves, often to heat their homes in the winter. Some will also use small gasoline-powered machines like push lawnmowers and chainsaws. Battery-powered things like small radios and flashlights are also OK. Their edict against car ownership is, again, isolationist rather anti-technological; they do not approve of owning things which force dependence on or allow closer/easier connection to the "world." Amish people will, in fact, hire people to drive them around in a car if needed, and they'll do things like call an ambulance in a medical emergency. They simply won't own their own cars. (Or their own phones, for that matter; usually, there's one or two "community phones.")

Also, watch out for little decorative things. For instance, most Amish won't use decorative window curtains, though some will use plain pull-down shades, and they don't approve of photography and other artistic representations of people, believing that it breaks the "graven images" command. (That's why the cloth dolls that Amish children play with don't have faces sewn onto them.) Paintings with no people in them would be OK, technically, but really, most of the things the Amish "decorate" with are functional. They are called "plain people" for a reason. And if you want to be really, really authentic: Amish women don't remove their body hair. You might want this: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=190&t=6387 to add body hair to females.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.