Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 7:23 PM
I usually backup before and/or after major events/decisions (whether in-game or CC related). I also do backups after every complete rotation. And I don't delete any of the files until I'm sure I won't need them anymore. :D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 4:32 AM
I back up after I complete an entire neighborhood rotation, after I complete an entire college rotation, and before I install a mod. I should probably back up more often, though.
Scholar
#28 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 7:15 PM
i'm pretty sure i never backup my neighborhoods.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 7:53 PM
@Emerald1234 livin' on the edge!

I make a backup each time the hood file is accessed.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 8:04 PM
I don't. I probably should, huh?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 8:37 PM
I backup my Downloads folder fairly regularly. I back up neighborhoods only very rarely and for special occasions (major changes to Downloads, etc.). I usually play Maxis or other 'hoods that came with existing residents, so they're easy to restart if necessary.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#32 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 12:09 AM
@lordtyger9 I agree we must keep a back up just incase of a big mistake. One time I wanted to find out how the Servo Robot Sims act, I never had one in my game, OMG thanks for having a backup that Servo ran me crazy.
All he ever did was make Santa cookie he never clean he only just make his BEBEBEBE sounds, I got rid of it with my backup before I added a Servo.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@lordtyger9 I agree we must keep a back up just incase of a big mistake. One time I wanted to find out how the Servo Robot Sims act, I never had one in my game, OMG thanks for having a backup that Servo ran me crazy.
All he ever did was make Santa cookie he never clean he only just make his BEBEBEBE sounds, I got rid of it with my backup before I added a Servo.

@Simonut
I think that it is quite possible that you have some sort of Mod or mod conflict that was making your Servo act that way. I run a game that has something like 5 or 6 Servos in it and I like to play them. I make them look like regular Sims. Anyway I never have any particular problem with them except for that they sometimes go over board trying to give bottles to toddlers.

@Emerald1234 @didyouevenmakeasound

I do think that backing up the entire Sims 2 folder fairly often is a very good thing. Best to have multiple backups if possible.

Just ask yourself "how upset would I be if I had to start over?" Me I know how upset, because it happened to me...more than once even. I learned my Lesson, I backup. Often.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 9:57 PM
Since I posted in this thread, my main hard drive on my Sims PC failed.

Smugly, I can announce that I was fully backed up, and oh yes- you shall all be stalked by my clown again!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 11:39 PM
I used to back up every few days, but now I back up the 'hoods I play almost every time I play them.

In my early playing days I would back up my whole The Sims 2 folder every few days, now, with so much CC, eight 'hoods in use, and thousands of Storytelling pictures, that takes too long, and most days I just back up the 'hood(s) I have been playing. I still occasionally (maybe every 3 months) back up the whole The Sims 2 folder. In fact I did it today: it takes nearly an hour to do. I back up to zip files using the Windows Compressed Folders feature. Today's backup came to 2.33 GB as a zip file.

I copy my backups to DVDs and then delete them from the hard disk. I keep the DVDs for ever. As a result I still have backups from my earliest playing days. My earliest backup is dated 12th December 2012, less than a fortnight after I started playing. It was the day after I created Garry Mackay, Gloria's boyfriend, and the day of my first post here. I had already created the "Veronaville Swim Centre" in its original very unsatisfactory form. And I had sent Garry there -- in the vain hope that he might meet Gloria. Here is a tiny JPG image extracted from the lot's package file in that original backup:

It seems my Sims only managed to get into the water because I accidentally left a couple of gaps in the front wall (front left hand corner). At that stage I was under the serious misapprehension that they could use that road up the right side to access the lot. As you can see I even provided a car park there. (It's still there today -- never been used of course!) It's a nice little exercise in nostalgia to look at that early backup!

Before I get too smug though, I must confess that I've got seriously behind with moving the backups to DVD. So I could be in serious trouble if I suffered a hard disk failure like simsample's. So the moral must be that I get started burning DVDs!!
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#36 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 12:00 PM
I don't. I've played this game too much anyway. When the end comes, it will just come.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 2:27 PM
I backed up a year ago? Yeah I think I have some old projects and games backed up as well as some mod configurations, but that's it.
I don't plan on backing up this go even though I had it backed up for quite a while and I deleted the backup quite recently (like a month ago).

My game is mostly stable and really, nothing bad ever happened (except that one time I used TestingCheats too much and purposely inducted corruption). SO I usually don't have the need to back it up.
Page 2 of 2