Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 3:35 PM
In retrospective, memorizing all those years of playing a version of the Sims, I loved the Sims 3 the most because of the open world and the CASt. This is what I really liked about the game. It's also the first game for which I started to make Custom Content. So it appealed more the creative part, than the gameplay itself. When playing the Sims 2, it was all about the game playing. Loved the interactions with the baby's and the making out. Missed that in the Sims 3.

Sims 1, well yeah, there was nothing like it at that time. I really loved it back then, but after Sims 2 came out, I didn't play it anymore.

Sims 4 I'm still not sure wether I buy it or not. My computer died on me exactly 2 years ago and didn't have money to buy (build!) a new one. So I only tried the demo on my sons pc. Nice CAS, but I hate to go back to tons of recolors of the same skirt etc. It's said enough here. I will wait until there is a sale or so.
About the costs I must add that for every new Sims version I had to buy a new pc, that was suitable for the first years, but then as the number of expansions grew, couldn't cope (also my own fault because of my huge amount of cc). So for me playing the Sims turned out to be a very expensive hobby indeed!

Actually I'm not done with Sims 3 yet, but first I have to build me a new pc that can run the game. How many times I had to reinstall... To much cc although I had CC Magic. Arghh, all the frustrations are coming back.

So my personal advice is: Sims3. Keep the amount of cc limited (have to stick to my own advice), use some mods if you want and check wether your pc can run it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#127 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 3:43 PM Last edited by Sof_m9 : 9th Aug 2015 at 10:19 PM.
Sure, I miss toddlers and shorter teens in The Sims 4. But The Sims themselves are a lot more expressive and "alive". You actually feel a connection in the families, the child parent interactions are adorable. Family kiss is back and so is snuggle on the sofa, reading books to them. I only hope they bring back all parent-kids interactions from The Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#128 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 1:21 PM
I first started The Sims when TS2 was released. I loved all of the SimCity games up to then and couldn't understand for the life of me how playing a 'person' simulator could be fun by any means. A woman I studied with sat me down about TS2 release time and played a session (we had finished our assignment) while I waited for another student with us to give me a lift back home. By this time, Maxis was releasing a tonne of Deluxe version with stacks of EP's and all the rest of the EP's in other boxed sets - I got everything brand new for less than the price or the basic game when it was released. And I played the dingo out of it! Loved it!

By the time TS2 was releasing the base game with a handful of EP's, I decided I could grab it then and was instantly hooked. This is still my personal No. 1 game in the franchise. Looking back, the graphics are the only thing that stops me from getting into it again,

I was so impressed by the promotional stuff that I grabbed TS3 shortly after release. Strike me lucky! The loading times were worse than 2!! I'm not sure if it was changed or not, but every time a patch was released, I had to take all of my non-official mods out to be able to install the damn patch and then put them all back! I had the issue with sims sinking into the ground up to their waist and getting stuck. I had the issue where they went to, say the gym and got stuck in the door as they tried to leave. I had the issue where I had scads of issues - I couldn't play the game without patches and it was a lot of work removing non-official mods and reinstalling them again, and then the patch didn't fix all of the broken things. No sims game was perfect, but 3 was absolutely the worst for me.
It also seemed that for every non-official mod I used, loading times increased by near a minute. In the end, I would simply wander off and make a cuppa and perhaps cook a roast and hope it had loaded in the interim. At the time I had a high-end PC with a vid card one step lower than the best I could get for my dedicated gaming machine. I run an i7 dedicated machine now that was purchased for TS4 and DA:Inky so I don't know how well it would run on this one, but 3 almost turned me right off the franchise but a friend in the know told me that they had made leaps and bounds on TS4, though he felt it would still be lacking.

Again, the pre-release stuff did make it look nice so I pre-ordered hoping that if would meet my sim needs. If it doesn't, I'd probably walk away from the franchise in the future and maybe consider TS2 again...

I am really enjoying playing at the moment. This is me mind, I can't speak for anyone else and wouldn't presume to. I like what I see and with recent updates, is has been the most stable of all of the versions. I had occasional lock-ups and CDT's before these, now I haven't had any (once I cleaned up 10 out of a several dozen mods) since! Apart from some things missing, I obviously haven't missed them (toddlers, cars, who cares?), but 4 is the closest thing to 2 I can imagine, only prettier to look at. Though there are still some sims doing WTF moments, but it wouldn't be right if they didn't.

You can only read reviews and watch viewtube and other things and make up your mind. Otherwise, this is possibly the worst forum to seek advice as to what is best as there are so many different views for so many different reasons. Make up your own mind.

-- The Roc
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 5:07 PM
Default Should I buy the sims 4?
Okay, for as long as I can remember myself playing on the computer, I have always enjoyed the sims. From the first one to the sims 3. I have never had a problem with any of the games, however, I have a few concerns on the sims 4. I have heard that apparently you can no longer use cheats, there is no longer the toddler life stage, there is very few traits to choose from and very few customization options. Is this true? If it is, I may just buy another sims 3 expansion pack.
Scholar
#130 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 5:37 PM Last edited by Nemiga : 24th Aug 2015 at 7:38 AM.
Get sims 2. Best on performance and gameplay...Also I heard that is still posible to get ultimate collection for free, if you contact to Origin support and ask them nicely. (Source )

Othewise, I recommend to buy sims 3 content more that sims 4.
Test Subject
#131 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 5:41 PM
You can still use cheats in the Sims 4. There is no toddler life stage. There are very few traits compared to other sims games, and the customization is lacking compared to other versions. Sounds like you would probably be happier opting out of 4 and buying another expansion for 3.
Test Subject
#132 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 7:08 PM
Cheats are available in Sims 4 plus there are many custom made traits you can download. Toddler life stage could come as an add-on but who knows? Thanks to modders we have many enhancements including teen pregnancy (why not, the teens are as big as adults) and Deaderpool for one is doing excellent work in the vein of the great and sadly missed Twallan.

To be honest though, The Sims 4 is a console game which is why IMO, so many features of previous games are missing (EA are apparently working on releasing a 64bit exe), but unless they make Sims 4 truly Open World, it will always pale in comparison to Sims 2 & 3.
Mad Poster
#133 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 7:54 PM
You should try all three game- but if you're jumping off from the Sims 3, I would suggest a foray first into the Sims 2 for the gameplay.

That way you can know what's right and what's not when people keep on trying to tie the Sims 4 to the Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#134 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:52 PM
Do yourself a favor: do not buy sims 4. Spend that money in a better way, trust me: i regretted buying sims 4 after a week.
Alchemist
#135 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:19 PM
If you are a big fan of The Sims 3 and are looking for similar gameplay, no. If you enjoy The Sims 2, I would say yes. The other option is to simply stick to The Sims 2 which is even a better game to be honest. I don't think The Sims 4 is bad with the expansion packs and game packs and all the updates, but it still has a long way to go before it can even try to hold a candle to The Sims 2 or 3. If you can get the basegame cheap I would suggest you to buy it. Just don't have high expectations and focus on what's new in the game rather than what's missing and you might enjoy it.

If I we're you, I'd buy another The Sims 3 expansion pack, they are all great and fun to explore.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#136 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
If you are a big fan of The Sims 3 and are looking for similar gameplay, no. If you enjoy The Sims 2, I would say yes.

I love Sims 2 and would never buy Sims 4.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#137 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:38 PM
I love all four Sims games. I'm not sure what that information does for you, but since others were weighing in, I just wanted to throw it out there. I don't feel capable of predicting which game you will enjoy or not. Sorry. Best advice I can offer is to watch some Lets Plays or reviews on Youtube. I like Lazy Game Reviews whether I agree with him or not because he will show you the features and discuss them in an open and amusing manner.
Top Secret Researcher
#138 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 12:20 AM
I'd recommend getting another sims 3 expansion pack, I've only played the sims 4 about 2 times on my boyfriend's laptop but couldn't get into it because I'm so used to playing sims 3 and found it very limited, if I could I would return the game but I think it's to late.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Instructor
#140 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 4:30 AM
well if you want to spend a lot of money on expansions and stuff packs than yeah get it

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Mad Poster
#141 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Why are you guys recommending TS2? The OP said " From the first one to the sims 3. "

The OP already has TS2.

It never hurts to own more than one copy of the Sims 2 tho
Field Researcher
#142 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 7:05 AM
Far canal... How often is this question going to be asked? There must be hundreds of millions of threads on this topic on here... Give or take a a few hundred million...

But seriously, go look at reviews and vids, get confused, and then make up your own mind as to what you want to do. Check out some of the other threads that ask this same question and you will see that many many people hate this release and that many many people think it is the penultimate version. So far this thread had been mainly against but if it gets more responses it will probably start to even out again and not leave you with a consensus to work with.

I used to play and play TS1, I wasted far too many years playing TS2, bought TS3 pre-order and played it for a few weeks, left it for a few years, played it again for a day and uninstalled it. TS4 I am enjoying immensely - I got it pre-release and was bitterly disappointed but got used to whatever I didn't like pretty soon - that's saying something. TS4 has mods and no toddlers, has cheats and no cars, has pools and loading screens between outings, it loads fast and has basements that are the easiest things to work with that I have ever encountered in all of the franchise (errrm, that's two positives as I am clawing for more negatives), It now has dishwashers but hot tubs are in a paid EP/DLC (ok, back on negatives), Sims aren't the most horrible but CAS is missing some fine options. Much of the gameplay is pretty good but they are releasing a tonne of buyable content (which I will wait for the multi-pack I saw at EB come down in price like it usually does, I'm not in a hurry for that - and I did pick up Get to Work when it was on special... it is bound to come down even more and I could have waited but didn't want to for some reason?)

So yeah, good luck finding the definitive answer. If you can play someone's copy on their machine for a couple of hours it should give you a better idea, but that isn't always possible...

-- The Roc
Instructor
#143 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:38 AM
Certainly not. But, if you're going to, buy it used. Don't give E.A. your money.
Instructor
#144 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:18 AM
it's not all that bad there is a tonne of CC to download from. go to sites like THIS to find the best ones .

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Forum Resident
#145 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:48 AM
Read the reviews, watch videos of gameplay. It all depends on what you like. The CAS is great. I love making sims and I can live without CASt. The game play does not grab me, or building. Everything seems off scale. The tiny worlds and loading screens break the immersion, that's the biggest problem for me. I bought it for half price. I'll probably buy some additional packs when they go on sale for half price.
Inventor
#146 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:29 PM
I played Sims 4 for six months, and enjoyed it. My sim built a rocket in his back garden, and walked off his lot down to the creek to fish - all great fun. Then the fun run out, and today I gave Sims 4 to my granddaughter. I'm back to Sims 2, because I have so many story lines to follow. Was it worth buying Sims 4 for just six months' fun? Probably.
Test Subject
#147 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 12:17 AM
Depending on what play-style you like, there's still a pretty limited amount of content and things to do. If you're not in any hurry to jump into the SIms4 I would wait until an expansion comes out that really interests you.
Mad Poster
#148 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 5:05 PM
See if you can get the CAS demo. That's the best bit.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 5:36 PM
The State of the Sims 4: Rant, Wonder & Why?
As a player from the very beginning… we’re talking 2000, things have changed drastically. When an expansion pack was released, we’d rush and open the packages and read the leaflets inside to see what was coming next for the game. We’d discover that there’s a new ‘something’ coming. With that information and a fresh new game to install, we’d be happy. We’d be satisfied until the very next one and the process would repeat.

Fast forward to almost the end of Sims 2′s life and almost everything changed. And that’s partly because of technology, the market crash and businesses cutting back on expenses. A lot of the information we received from EA was communicated to fans via the Internet. Once the web became more of the go-to, EA and many other businesses realized that the best way to communicate with its customers is through the Internet.

With the Sims 3 we were constantly updated about the state of the game and where it was headed. Sure, we didn’t get any leaflets inside of the game packages like we did in the old days, but the Production Team was allowed to give us hints and even do broadcasts about the state of the game. I remember in 2012 particularly, there was a huge Maxis conference. Production got to talk about the Sims 3,its updates and even SimCity. The very last broadcast for the Sims 3 took place just before the release of Into the Future. That was to be expected, because we knew that the Sims 4 was on its way.

Fast forward again and we’re deep into 2013. EA/Maxis received a lot of negative player feedback from SimCity (server failures, and the overall game design limiting players to build the cities of their dreams) but Maxis still kept fans updated with the game. There were constant patches to SimCity and there was even an expansion pack for the game later that year.

After Sims 4 was shown at GamesCom, a lot of players fled to the Internet to express their love/concerns for the game. A lot of players felt like the direction of Sims 4 was completely different (which it was, because it was originally supposed to be an online multi-player experience) and many players didn’t like the overall look/purpose of the game. Then came silence.

Many players wanted to know if all of the life-stages from previous games (Sims 2 & 3) would be in the game. One of the production members quoted that all of the life-stages that there was in the past would be in the Sims 4. The reason why EA/Maxis was hounded by fans regarding the life-stages, and many other features of the game was because they were barely discussed prior to release in September 2014. Prior to the Sims 4′s release, we received renders (containing only Young Adult/Adult Sims), and newsletters about the advanced CAS & building. Now keep in mind, players have been aware of the Sims 4′s new and advanced CAS and build mode since GamesCom 2013, but those seemed to be the only things that EA/Maxis wanted us to know… oh and I forgot to mention the new emotions. So CAS, build mode & emotions were the 3 main selling points of the Sims 4 right up until the release of the game.

Then came Summer 2014… oh it was dreadful. It was what we would call a PR nightmare. We received a newsletter informing us that toddlers/pools were taken out of the game so that the production team could focus on more “meaningful and deeper” emotions, weirder stories and more advanced building features. After that newsletter was released, players were outraged and rightfully so. Players were ‘promised’ that all of the life-stages would be included in the game, and then when players questioned the said producer that originally stated that they were; he simply stated “things change.” Yes, things do change and when it comes to producing a game, I am sure they change and change often. But here we are almost 1 year later and the ‘base game’ is still incomplete… at least according to this particular newsletter. http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/w...ut-and-whats-in

Then some weeks go by and another newsletter is released informing players of the CAS demo. https://help.ea.com/en/article/the-...a-sim-cas-demo/ Some received the demo right away in their Origin application without having to sign up, but others were instructed to sign up in order to receive the demo. The distribution of the demo seemed fair at first, but then players (myself included) started noticing that if a more known Sims player (Let’s Player/Fan-site Owner) stated online that they did not receive an invitation, they got one and almost instantly while others had to wait. The newsletter promised that eventually all players would be able to use the CAS Demo. That was true. Just about 2-3 weeks before the actual game was released, everyone was then able to go onto Origin and install the demo if they hadn’t received it (which was the majority of the player base). Any how I digress…

The Sims 4 released in the U.S. on September 2nd & many other places world-wide shortly thereafter. Players noticed quite a few bugs (which to be fair, no game has ever been released without its fair share) but one of them was known as the ‘demon baby’ which can be seen here:

We received a patch for this and a few other bugs almost instantly, and we were also informed about a few major updates that were coming to the game. Pools, ghosts and added careers and career difficulty level adjustments were the major updates for the remainder of the year. Many players were satisfied, because they thought that things were coming together… which in my opinion, they were.

Then here we are in 2015 and EA starts getting quiet. We did receive a few more game updates such as basements, and much needed patches but questions from players pertaining to toddlers and other ‘base-game’ features such as dishwashers, trash-compactors, etc. were ignored or were answered with “no comment.” Then we received news that the Sims 4′s first expansion pack, “Get to Work” was on its way. Many players were psyched, because Get to Work was the first expansion pack in Sims history where we could actually follow our sims to work and direct them while at work. This expansion pack was heavily anticipated, brought joy to the community and even brought the players together again. It felt like a family again, because everyone was so excited to get their hands on it… well almost everyone anyway. There were still players being vocal on the forums, twitter, reddit & YouTube about the missing 'base-game’ features, but for the most part everyone was excited. March 31st 2015, Get to Work was released.

Many players noticed a few bugs with the careers and the retail system… many of the bugs affecting the overall game-play and the purpose of the expansion pack. Players were very vocal about their frustration with their failing retail shops, because employees weren’t working as they were supposed to and many other things which I don’t really care to point out. We all get the point. Some of the producers of the game, tweeted fans letting them know that with future patches many of these bugs would be worked out… but here we are in August with some of these bugs still not properly worked out.

After Get to Work released, EA basically became quiet. Very quiet. Gurus were instructed from EA to no longer comment on future game updates, etc. Why? No one really knows. Some people suspect that it’s because of EA’s legal team, but if you conduct your research you will see that there is nothing in writing stating that EA can’t/won’t comment on future releases of any of their games. And then there are others who suspect that it’s because they’re afraid of the reception from the players. Anyone wonder why? We still don’t know if toddlers and other ‘base-game’ features will make their way into the game. Just recently, dishwashers were released right before EA’s latest Sims 4 title, “Cool Kitchen” a DLC Stuff Pack.

With everything that’s happened with Sims 4 so far, a lot of players were still anticipating GamesCom 2015 because the Sims was to hold a presentation there. Many players on the forums, twitter, etc. expected to hear about the remaining ‘base-game’ features and possibly more. Well at GamesCom players were presented with EA’s newest Sims 4 expansion pack coming this fall called, “Get Together.” Nothing was said about toddlers, or anything else. Not one word. So once again, players expressed their frustration on social media about this and rightfully so. Why is it that after almost a year of the release, we still have zero confirmation about the remaining missing ‘base-game’ features? Why is EA so quiet? What are they hiding/if they are hiding anything? To make matters ‘worse’ or as some would put it… “to instill players with hope” a survey leaked shortly after GamesCom that discussed many possible releases, INCLUDING: “Generations.”

The Sims 4 Generations… if it’s an expansion pack, players will have to shell out money for toddlers (a life-stage that’s been in the base-game since Sims 2) and a new life-stage known as pre-teens. Why should players have to pay for toddlers, if they were “promised” by EA themselves in 2014? Something’s not right and I think we all deserve honesty and formal communication from EA regarding the current state of the Sims 4 and its future.

Now I know that this is a SUPER long read & I know that I might receive some backlash because I am stating my opinion, but mostly facts, but I am a Sims player. I love the Sims. I have loved this game since I was 11 years old. I am 26 years now and still play this game more than any other game in my life. I just want to know if the game that I was once head over the moon in love with will still be my everything, or if it’s going to die out. I don’t think any of us want to see it die out. Our loudness as some may put it, is because we want the Sims to the BEST that it can be. We want it to survive, we want it to live on… we want to PLAY WITH LIFE.

Are we going to be able to do that before the year’s end? Are we going to be able to do that in 2016? I guess that all remains to be seen… but right now, as positive as I am trying to be … I don’t have that much hope. Will I still buy the upcoming releases, probably. And that’s only because I love to play the Sims, but will I be truly happy? I guess you can never be 100% happy, but I just want to know if the Sims 4 will be the game that we will look back at and say “wow, I loved that game” or “wow, that was one of the worst Sims ever.”

It all remains to be seen folks. It all remains to be seen. But until then, let’s keep being vocal. The more our voices are heard, the more they (EA) might actually listen to us and provide us witht the Simming experience that we want. But let’s remember to be respectful. Using foul language and such will get us absolutely nowhere.

Until next time,

-TheSimsBoi/KLTboy

CHECK out The Real Simwives of Starlight Shores!: http://www.youtube.com/realsimwivesHD
Mad Poster
#150 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 5:48 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:19 PM.
Inb4 thread locked for dissention and treason.

Edit: also sedition
Page 6 of 20