Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 3:31 PM
Default Random advisory (Mediafire)
Hey guys! Mediafire has recently stopped allowing me to right click and open new tab for some downloads (this method prevents pops up windows, redirects, high-jackers etc). Not too much of an issue but wtv. What I really found problematic was yesterday when I went to download a world while using chrome and while the world was in mid-download I got a chrome pop-up letting me know that mediafire was attempting to download multiple files onto my computer.

I only had that one tab open for downloading and once you click Mediafire's download button the button itself becomes static anyway (to prevent you from hitting it multiple times and downloading multiple copies of the same file). Sooooo... I'm not sure if this was some random hiccup or I'm not accounting for something I may have done but I figured why not share anyway.

As always check your downloads, make sure you don't have any unfamiliar ".exe" files floating around. For those of you who use rely on simblrs I highly recommend downloading form Simfileshare when ever the creator has it as an available option. Stay safe and happy simming
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Mediafire decided to just delete my account a while ago, no warning whatsoever. Luckily I'd been planning to leave anyway and managed to transfer 95% of what was on that account, but that still was annoying. I also got a copyright notice once for hosting an episode from an obscure cartoon...which was a 2MB archive of screenshots.

Mediafire is becoming the photobucket of file hosts :/ I second SFS or Mega, they're more stable and less laggy.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:57 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Aug 2017 at 8:07 PM.
I use an adblocker, and i think I also have one that blocks popovers/popunders (those that sometimes try to mimic or invisibly overlay download buttons). I also have my popupblocker set to ctrl-clicking for any popups (this stops about 99% of popups, and only allows some to pass through, so far only safe ones). On Mediafire, I right-click the Download button and choose "Save as". This has worked fine for me so far. My browsers also don't allow any downloads to start automatically, so anything I download pop up as "do you want to download this file" warnings. I also run a full antivirus scan at least one (usually twice) a week.

I don't use Chrome. The few times I have used it, I've felt it allows more to come through. Maybe it's safer now, but I can't bring myself to trust it. Mostly I use Firefox with various addons, and a heavily modified IE (most settings on high, plus several addons for safety). I also use tricks to completely circumvent Adfly and such. For most downloads on Mediafire and similar, I tend to close down the window as soon as I've hit the download button, because IE and Firefox can handle downloads without the window being open, so there's less chance of something trying to hitch a ride.

For files, I use Simfileshare, and I still have some files on Box and Dropbox (but I don't upload new files there).

So far I've kept two computers virus/malware free (and possibly the oldest one as well, though I'm not certain), so I must be doing something right...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 8:03 PM
Hosting sites in general are, are always have been, unreliable. I've used Imgur for my images and gifs for about 4 years now, without any problems. And I use ge.tt for small files and SFS for .packages. But other than that I wouldn't know what I can rely on.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 8:07 PM
Popping in to say that thanks to that comment by @sweetdevil I'm currently downloading the few things I have saved on Mediafire lol. I feel like I might have a Mega account but I'll have to figure that out. How does one get a code for SFS though?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 8:09 PM
Orose, the easiest way is to ask someone who has an account (I just sent you a code via PM )
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 8:12 PM