Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#15851 Old 2nd May 2018 at 6:52 PM
Just driving by to drop a few notes.

I like the idea of double step-parents (heir and spouse must have children from previous relationship). I'd be on board with that.

Second career attempt is good too!

I have my life span set to 95 or 99 days. I think a bracket of acceptable age length is a good idea while still giving people the option to set some stages longer or shorter as they see fit.

While I know there are some careers that can be very lucrative, it feels like the subway busking could get absolutely insane if you're busking every day. I don't know. I haven't played an artist in a long time so I don't remember how much they average per painting. They also don't make masterpieces every single time they paint.

My 5 cents for what it's worth (or not worth).

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#15852 Old 2nd May 2018 at 8:52 PM
Whew, okay, I've created a rough draft of the rule changes. Please review and critique.

None of this is final! I need your feedback!
I did not change everything we discussed. It's still very much up for discussion.
Note that the old rules won't be going anywhere, they'll just be in a separate post on the blog if we adopt new rules.

New rules: http://randomlegacychallenge.blogsp.../blog-page.html

Notable changes...

Where are the rolls themselves? RIGHT HERE: http://randomlegacychallenge.blogsp...ough-draft.html

Please review and critique!

The biggest change is the merging of primary and secondary career sections. There is now just one section, with every career weighted equally... more or less. Careers with two branches still have a separate roll for each branch, but I felt this was fine, since they can be quite different.

I'm not quite sure how the equal weighting will work out in the long run, but I was tired of the overwhelming odds of heir getting a standard career and spouse ending up in a non-standard career.

Other changes:

Notable things I did not change... I left Busker alone. I did not add extra stepchildren rolls. Umm... other stuff probably??? It's still up for debate.
Lab Assistant
#15853 Old 2nd May 2018 at 9:56 PM
Thanks for putting in all the work!
Love the career changes and the new freedom in assigning careers for each sim! And the new weighting for careers and family status look good too! No interest in tilting the odds towards more children?
Change about skill training on vacation is good, also avoids awkward situations like trying to get some of those "tasty" nile crocodiles without raising fishing skill. Shall we add another paragraph for ITF time travel and its related skills too (bot-building and advanced technology)?

I don't want to change my lifespan mid-generation, maybe I'll think about lowering it at the start of the next one to keep in line with the rules. I have troubles getting enough story and screenshots with shorter lifespans but from what I read here it seems like I'm the outlier at 180 days, so I keep my mouth shut

Everything I didn't mention I'm also perfectly fine with.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15854 Old 3rd May 2018 at 1:50 AM
I'm not sure how to handle ITF at all. I've never sent a sim to the future, in all this time, so... I guess I should do that later tonight in a trash save maybe.
Field Researcher
#15855 Old 3rd May 2018 at 4:48 AM
Man this makes me miss the fact that I've already rolled for all 10 generations, but they seem like good changes. For the record (that I'm preeetty sure nobody is keeping) I don't think busking needs to be capped either, I think certain sims would work harder than others at it anyways. I just haven't rolled it so I don't feel qualified to speak on the matter.

About lifespans, if I get them wrong I think I'd lose interest in playing and I've raised it to something like 150 days so I can enjoy the gameplay and have enough things happen to generate a story from. I may shorten it, but playing on the normal 90 day span wasn't working out for me. The recommendation is still helpful for newer players.

Bot building I was going to consider part of the inventor career if I want it because I don't want to add sci fi elements to the story if it's out of context. Even 'adventurer' I thought could be adventurer in time, it's just so close to those already.

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Scholar
Original Poster
#15856 Old 3rd May 2018 at 5:08 AM
Bot building has been a part of the inventor career since ITF came out.

I tried to play around in the future world a bit, but my game keeps glitching out, so I didn't get to test much. (I will try again soon.) So I'd like feedback from the rest of you. Should we restrict how often a family can travel there? Should we restrict the time travel related opportunities to certain career rolls? (Adventurers, scientists...?) Or are the rewards inconsequential?

Unlike World Adventure worlds, you don't seem to have to pay to get there, and you aren't forced back to the main world after a timer expires. And your sims don't age, right? So there should probably be restrictions against skilling or being there often at all, I just haven't played enough to really know where I'd draw the lines.
Lab Assistant
#15857 Old 3rd May 2018 at 11:01 AM
Thank you for putting in all that work, Becky! The draft is looking good. I see that you also clarified the Idle Career roll to say heir instead of sim, which is great!

As for time travel, it should probably have the same restrictions as WA traveling. Associated skills (Advanced Technology and Bot Building) can be leveled freely, while others are capped. It's true that there is no fee for going to the future and sims can stay as long as they want, but I believe they do actually age in the future! My sims did at least, though I'm unsure whether that was because of the nraas Traveler mod or not.

I don't think the ITF opportunity chain itself comes with any huge rewards. It's just a bit of silly fun and you can get some gnomes and books out of it, so I don't think we need to restrict that. The utopian future, however, has rare insect spawners and money bags everywhere; and every future offers free computers, hoverboards and jetpacks. I'd say we place some restrictions on those things so they're not abused. Maybe one free jetpack and/or hoverboard per family, but if you want more, you need to buy them and you're never allowed to sell the ones you got for free. I don't know how much those spherical ITF computers cost, but getting even one of those for free sounds pretty cheaty.

I'm not entirely sure how common or valuable the money bags are, since I didn't spend much time in that eyesore of a utopia, but maybe those should be restricted to adventurers only.
Lab Assistant
#15858 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
Bot building has been a part of the inventor career since ITF came out.

I tried to play around in the future world a bit, but my game keeps glitching out, so I didn't get to test much. (I will try again soon.) So I'd like feedback from the rest of you. Should we restrict how often a family can travel there? Should we restrict the time travel related opportunities to certain career rolls? (Adventurers, scientists...?) Or are the rewards inconsequential?

Unlike World Adventure worlds, you don't seem to have to pay to get there, and you aren't forced back to the main world after a timer expires. And your sims don't age, right? So there should probably be restrictions against skilling or being there often at all, I just haven't played enough to really know where I'd draw the lines.

Thank you so much for all the work you put in!

Quote:
8. No life extending nonsense for human sims in your household. There are many forms of this nonsense. Avoid it. Supernatural life states are still allowed, even though some of them have an unfair advantage. You may mod supernatural life states to be longer or shorter. Your sims may keep death flowers, but try to remember to take them away from elders.

Just so I understand, this means no crafting/using reward young again potions or age freeze or allowing your elders to carry death flowers, or pleading with Grim? Correct? Is there a possibility of allowing one instance per legacy? I blew mine Gen one because single parent 5 kids and awesome kind of kicked me in the pants.

As for traveling to the future I like the idea of limiting the skills like WA skills. I also like the idea of limiting traveling to the future either to generations that have a scientist/inventor/adventurer only or only once per generation. Definitely, sims should not be allowed to come home with all the free digital things they get in the future. One of each per legacy and the rest should be purchased as @melynx stated. What about the lottery cheat where you can look up winning number in the future?

Lastly, I still want Double Stepparent but it would appear I am alone in this.

It's looking fabulous! I can't wait to roll using the new weights.

~*Keyneky*~

Lab Assistant
#15859 Old 3rd May 2018 at 3:26 PM
Quote:
8. No life extending nonsense for human sims in your household. There are many forms of this nonsense. Avoid it. Supernatural life states are still allowed, even though some of them have an unfair advantage. You may mod supernatural life states to be longer or shorter. Your sims may keep death flowers, but try to remember to take them away from elders.

What should we do here regarding pets? When a dog is BFF status with a sim, they'll keep Grim from reaping that sim without fail (in my experience). The worst part about this life extension is that the sim goes back to the beginning of the age stage, so they could live forever as long as they keep befriending pets. I've only seen it happen with dogs so far, so I can't say if cats and horses do the same. I believe you can cancel the pet's action though or simply reset them.

I don't think we should restrict time travel itself to certain careers. WA traveling isn't exclusive to adventurers after all, so everyone should be allowed to visit Oasis Landing if they want to tell that story. In my opinion the restrictions should only apply to earning money and skilling.

As for the double step-parents - how do you feel about allowing it within the Step Children roll? Or maybe within the Second Chance roll? There is some overlap there, since double step-parents implies that your heir had a child with another sim before going into that new relationship.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15860 Old 3rd May 2018 at 4:47 PM
@melynx I tried to clarify every roll that didn't specify which sim it applied to.

@Keyneky Nothing is stopping you from playing double step-parent with a normal couple roll.

You could make all those cheaty age potions, but they can't be used on your household human sims. If you want your sims to live longer than the spirit of the challenge intends, you would have to deal with a supernatural life state, basically.

I've always used a mod to get rid of the pets begging Grim nonsense, but I guess we cannot force people to use mods. IIRC, cats and horses can badger Grim as well. I don't really want to ban pets, but would it be too cruel in this case to make mention of this feature and simply ask players to avoid it by the means of their choosing?

Can you send the dog away to a community lot halfway across town and then kill the elder sim with cheats? The cheat to age up an elder causes them to die of old age.
Lab Assistant
#15861 Old 3rd May 2018 at 4:57 PM
I tried to clarify every roll that didn't specify which sim it applied to.

I only noticed in on the Idle Career because the wording was unclear to me previously. It's awesome that you fixed that with all of them!

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting banning pets! That'd be horrible! I'm sure there are many ways to get around them saving a sim's life. Sending them to another lot, resetting the pet etc. should all work. Asking the player do avoid the begging by means of their own choosing sounds good.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15862 Old 3rd May 2018 at 5:28 PM Last edited by NutsAndDolts : 3rd May 2018 at 5:48 PM.
So should Adventurers be allowed to loot Oasis Landing, or is it not lucrative enough, or too lucrative?

Edit: sorry, I'm still waking up. I re-read some of the comments.

I think I'll word it like this: "If you have Into the Future, you may not use Oasis Landing as a free skilling area. Your sims may level the Advanced Technology, Bot Building and Laser Rhythm-a-Con skills freely in Oasis Landing, but are only allowed one level up per sim week (Sunday-Saturday) for every other skill."

and, "NOTE about the free stuff in Oasis Landing: you may not sell anything obtained in Oasis Landing, unless your sim is in the Adventurer career. If they are in the Adventurer career, they may sell items looted from tomb-like places, harvested or scrounged up."

How does that sound?
Lab Assistant
#15863 Old 3rd May 2018 at 6:07 PM
So should Adventurers be allowed to loot Oasis Landing, or is it not lucrative enough, or too lucrative?

Edit: sorry, I'm still waking up. I re-read some of the comments.

I think I'll word it like this: "If you have Into the Future, you may not use Oasis Landing as a free skilling area. Your sims may level the Advanced Technology, Bot Building and Laser Rhythm-a-Con skills freely in Oasis Landing, but are only allowed one level up per sim week (Sunday-Saturday) for every other skill."

and, "NOTE about the free stuff in Oasis Landing: you may not sell anything obtained in Oasis Landing, unless your sim is in the Adventurer career. If they are in the Adventurer career, they may sell items looted from tomb-like places, harvested or scrounged up."

How does that sound?

I think this is good balance for Oasis Landing!

I know I can do double stepparent pretty much at any time with a couple/second chance roll. Maybe I'll try to keep it in mind for a future generation.

~*Keyneky*~

Lab Assistant
#15864 Old 3rd May 2018 at 6:17 PM
On a completely unrelated sidenote, am I the only one that has sims ages getting out of sync when they move out of the home? Amira's twin sister didn't age to elder when she did and I had to force it. :-/

~*Keyneky*~

Field Researcher
#15865 Old 3rd May 2018 at 6:34 PM
I think I might add the second chance career one as well as my current one, only really because I wanna try it and I want a more inclusive goal (I have property mogul (hence the whole Roisin's inheritance arc and her wanting to buy houses in story to like, display the roll) but I could do that in like one sim day xD) so I might add that as an additional one, purely because I'm excited to try it!

Also, new rules look good. Even though I brought it up, I feel like we shouldn't cap the subways because, well, let the people do what they want to do, even if it seems a little cheaty (I can't talk, my whole legacy has basically become how I can twist the already very loose rules)

Also, I think ages are just kinda weird all over when sims move, I dunno, they always seem to glitch out *shrugs* I remember Alyssa once out aged Rosie, and Alyssa was born when Rosie was like a teenager so... Yeah.

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Field Researcher
#15866 Old 4th May 2018 at 3:56 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 4th May 2018 at 4:24 AM.
Yeah those round computers from OL are about 4,600 simoleans if I recall. Good idea, not allowing things to be sold that sims get there. If you send a while family to OL, guaranteed they'll end up picking up some things when you're not playing them and have extras in their inventory. The best nannites don't really spawn and can be created for money via bot building, but it's takes a lot of time to do. I thought the crystal plants earn a lot when crystals are sold too, but more than anything that pesky 'time remote' LTR that can zap open the utopian future is probably the most cheaty thing (Thought it was already not allowed by the rules anyways).

I generally have a rule that anything obtained for free ever can't be sold, but if my sims buy it they can sell it. That means that if I end up with a 'good haggler' sim I might just let him have a consignment business where he buys and resells things at the shop, and it wouldn't violate my own personal rules.

Anyways, this looks amazing and I can't wait to use on of my free rerolls to try it. Becky you are awesome and t seems like we needed this breath of fresh air. The new rules fit in very well, it feels like there will be more freedom in gameplay with some of these new options. One thing though, I'm not sure I understand the 'shake up', is it basically a change from a romance to a platonic relationship, vice versa, or something like a divorce and the ex moves out and a friend moves in? Am I understanding that right?

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Scholar
Original Poster
#15867 Old 4th May 2018 at 5:18 AM
Aw, thanks! Hopefully we'll all have fun with this.

The Shake Up can go two ways.

1. Heir Bob is married to Jane, but then Jane leaves and Bob's friend Jim moves in.
2. Heir Bob is living with his friend Jim for a while, but halfway through the generation one of them moves out and Bob starts living with his romantic partner Jane.

So it's like second chance, except one is a friend instead of a romance.

How should I word it to make it clearer? It seems like there's a lot of confusion.
Field Researcher
#15868 Old 5th May 2018 at 2:19 AM
I am sooooo behind now xD Anyway, to add my two cents... I agree with Melynx that rolls shouldn't be too restrictive. There are many ways to be creative and tell a ton of different stories with this challenge, which is the really cool thing about it. Also agree with her thoughts on deadbeat parents.

Regarding blogging (which was my gen 7 secondary career) I think it would be okay to treat any money made the same as opportunity money and keep blogs open to anyone as a hobby. Honestly I think it would be great to leave it off the income options. My sim rarely got any extra donations when she asked for them because the response was always "ask again tomorrow" (or that's the gist of the phrasing.) I really don't see it as being much of a boost for sims to ask for donations, but others may have had other experiences with blogs.

Also I think busking in subways should remain open without caps. If you want to restrict yourself, that could be up to the player, because there are obviously many careers that could make just as much money without too much time put in (such as adventurer).

Anyway, have an update: Chapter 13
Scholar
#15869 Old 5th May 2018 at 7:51 AM
I have another update Chapter 4.5 . The Rules seem fine but I play with a shorter lifespan, I think its about 85 days.
Lab Assistant
#15870 Old 5th May 2018 at 10:58 AM
The new rules looks good. Think the merging of the careers will make for some more interesting rolls.

Got a new chapter to: 5.19 Karma
Scholar
Original Poster
#15871 Old 5th May 2018 at 5:13 PM
Hmmm. I've realized we don't have Relativity listed on our mod allowances, even though I was more or less instructed to use it way back when. Should I include it with a recommendation for speed settings, or keep no mention of it? It's one of those things I'd feel was cheaty if I hadn't been told specifically I could use it...
Field Researcher
#15872 Old 5th May 2018 at 7:22 PM
I don't think I've heard of the Relativity mod, what does it do?

Also, I have an update!
Update!: Chapter 4.05 Tightrope in which this chapter never was intended, it was just, I dunno, I have a problem with writing too much sometimes

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Lab Assistant
#15873 Old 5th May 2018 at 8:17 PM
Hmmm. I've realized we don't have Relativity listed on our mod allowances, even though I was more or less instructed to use it way back when. Should I include it with a recommendation for speed settings, or keep no mention of it? It's one of those things I'd feel was cheaty if I hadn't been told specifically I could use it...

I've never used it and I'm not sure how it works exactly.

~*Keyneky*~

Scholar
Original Poster
#15874 Old 6th May 2018 at 1:37 AM
From the mod description: "The mod alters the flow of time in the game. Reducing the relative speed in the mod will increase the real-time length of a sim-minute in game, while leaving the animations that sims perform unaffected. This gives the sims more time to perform their interactions within the span of the sim-day. To compensate for the change in the length of the day, all motive increases are altered in an inverse proportion (make the speed slower, all motives will increase faster), ensuring that they continue to raise at the same speed relative to real-time."

Also: "By default Energy is not a relative motive. This means that energy does not increase faster when you are running on a slower speed. The sim will therefore sleep for eight sim-hours regardless of the relative speed you are running."

If I understand correctly, it takes my sim the same amount of MY time to eat their dinner as it would in an unmodded game, but it takes less of THEIR time. Even at 0.5 speed (setting 19; the sim day takes twice as much real time to pass), my sims can get very little done in a day, so I dunno how you guys do without it.

I was told this compensates for lag between activities. My sim may stop throwing darts, and then stand there for a while contemplating routing before making it to the bar to have a drink. Without this mod, the bar might be closed before the sim manages to derp his way over there.

This mod made my game run a lot more smoothly.
Lab Assistant
#15875 Old 6th May 2018 at 3:34 AM
From the mod description: "The mod alters the flow of time in the game. Reducing the relative speed in the mod will increase the real-time length of a sim-minute in game, while leaving the animations that sims perform unaffected. This gives the sims more time to perform their interactions within the span of the sim-day. To compensate for the change in the length of the day, all motive increases are altered in an inverse proportion (make the speed slower, all motives will increase faster), ensuring that they continue to raise at the same speed relative to real-time."

Also: "By default Energy is not a relative motive. This means that energy does not increase faster when you are running on a slower speed. The sim will therefore sleep for eight sim-hours regardless of the relative speed you are running."

If I understand correctly, it takes my sim the same amount of MY time to eat their dinner as it would in an unmodded game, but it takes less of THEIR time. Even at 0.5 speed (setting 19; the sim day takes twice as much real time to pass), my sims can get very little done in a day, so I dunno how you guys do without it.

I was told this compensates for lag between activities. My sim may stop throwing darts, and then stand there for a while contemplating routing before making it to the bar to have a drink. Without this mod, the bar might be closed before the sim manages to derp his way over there.

This mod made my game run a lot more smoothly.

BRB I'm getting this right now. This is one of those things that ticks me off so much! When I have get togethers it sometimes takes a sim the entire event just to walk up to someone else and greet them.

~*Keyneky*~

Page 635 of 676