Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#8076 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Did you clear the caches? (If nothing has changed, no downloads or removals, you can also try leaving the caches alone for a session. The game slows down when it's rebuilding them. But they can get corrupt, especially when things have been removed or added and the changes are not reflected in the cache file. so clearing them and forcing the game to generate an accurate copy can help.)

By this date, system specs are probably not an issue, but it's probably worth checking...

Have you also made sure that everything that you have left really is a Sims 3 file and not for Sims 2 or Sims 4?

Yes I did that all...and I have deleted all my new items but the problem still remains
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#8077 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 11:30 AM
Is there a thread we can ask real quick opinion questions? e.g Do you think this sim looks better in A hairstyle or B hairstyle.

I tend to get a distorted view of my own work fast especially if I have been tinkering with it for hours/days.
Site Helper
#8078 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
Is there a thread we can ask real quick opinion questions? e.g Do you think this sim looks better in A hairstyle or B hairstyle.

I tend to get a distorted view of my own work fast especially if I have been tinkering with it for hours/days.

Not that I could find.
Creator Feedback is one thread for each project, so I'm not sure if an "Opinion Please" thread would go there. But those are the ones who are most likely to have good opinions and suggestions.
It would (by necessity) be somewhat picture-heavy, so it might do well in Pictures.
If it were here in Sims 3 discussion, you would want to specify that all pictures go in spoiler tags.

Yes, spoilers are fun. :D

Anyway, the point is that you can make a thread, since there doesn't seem to be one.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#8079 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 5:38 PM
@Ghost sdoj thanks, I ended up making a thread in creator feedback cos it actually went deeper than 'do you like A or choice B more'.
Site Helper
#8080 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 9:30 PM
The major purpose of the DCBackup folder seems to be to make it possible to package a Sims3pack with CC added into it. You can completely empty it with no effect on what you are seeing in your game. So yes, you would still need to delete it via the Launcher if you want it gone.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#8081 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 6:32 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 8th Feb 2019 at 10:24 PM.
More of a technical question- what causes trees to 'unload' from large, unloaded lots? They're still there, they just don't appear on unloaded lots.

I have a park with lots of trees on it, and it's a bit of an eyesore as the trees disappear especially when I go to Map View, leaving the whole lot feeling rather barren.

Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Is there something about gates that if you move them in a certain way with moveobjects on, they can crash the game?

More elaboration- if I move the gate with the handtool while moveobjects is on, and the gate moves over another gate, the game crashes. Really odd bug.
Field Researcher
#8082 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 8:39 AM
@jje1000

Is this what you're talking about? https://i.imgur.com/0SqLjaE.jpg

In the GraphicsRules, under option TreeQuality, Veryhigh, I changed from prop $ConfigGroup RenderTreeGroundLODDistances "15, 100, 3300, 4000" to prop $ConfigGroup RenderTreeGroundLODDistances "30, 400, 3300, 4000". It is the very last line of all the settings related to TreeQuality.

edit// oh my GraphicsRules is heavily edited so your last line of the TreeQuality will be different to mine but the trick is to match the first 2 numbers of that line to lines above so the small trees that are on the lot will load as the same as the trees placed in CAW/World editor.

The after Image is dark, it is taken at during the day but I'm also testing weather mod settings. The difference in tree detail should still be clear.

And yes, moveObjects seem to be risky sometimes. My game tends to crash more often if I leave it on after going back to live mode.
Mad Poster
#8083 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 12:43 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 9th Feb 2019 at 2:12 PM.
@jje1000

Is this what you're talking about? https://i.imgur.com/0SqLjaE.jpg

In the GraphicsRules, under option TreeQuality, Veryhigh, I changed from prop $ConfigGroup RenderTreeGroundLODDistances "15, 100, 3300, 4000" to prop $ConfigGroup RenderTreeGroundLODDistances "30, 400, 3300, 4000". It is the very last line of all the settings related to TreeQuality.

edit// oh my GraphicsRules is heavily edited so your last line of the TreeQuality will be different to mine but the trick is to match the first 2 numbers of that line to lines above so the small trees that are on the lot will load as the same as the trees placed in CAW/World editor.

The after Image is dark, it is taken at during the day but I'm also testing weather mod settings. The difference in tree detail should still be clear.

And yes, moveObjects seem to be risky sometimes. My game tends to crash more often if I leave it on after going back to live mode.

Hmm, you might be onto something, I tried that but the results seem inconsistent. It doesn't seem to work on all lots as well (the city hall rabbithole lot should also have some trees).

Trees in map view worked once:

But I loaded in a few more times, and it gave me the usual tree-less lot:

Could you upload your GraphicsRules file? Maybe there's some additional things you might have changed that help fix this.

And yes, that moveobjects gate crash bug is weird. My Sims 3 game is strangely very stable over the years, but that one bug is also very consistent.
Mad Poster
#8084 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 11:06 PM
I recall having a few issues with the Map View impostor lots as well. Surely there must be some sort of flag to prevent objects from unloading in Map View? Should be as simple as dragging something into TSRW and seeing if there's a toggle for it, really. I don't know what I have my tree LODs set to, personally, but considering the hardware I have I might as well not bother with LODs at all. I'll crank them up to 1.21 jiggamiles and see if it does anything.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#8085 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 12:14 AM
Maybe. The LargeObjects flag is what keeps objects visible in neighborhood view, which you can change in S3PE, or a cloned tree in TSRW.
Field Researcher
#8086 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 3:27 AM
I hate the LargeObjects flag. If you put LargeObjects on floors above the ground floor, they will be always visible to the ground floor.

@jje1000

I did more testing. I realised that if I go to map view directly from the lot the trees won't load. If I zoom out as much as possible and then go to map view, the trees load. I tried this with EA values and mine, same result.
https://i.imgur.com/dWz4LR0.png

I removed most of the chances I have made to test this. The above pic's settings with EA's default tree details:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GraphicsRules.zip (7.2 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#8087 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 3:32 AM
I hate the LargeObjects flag. If you put LargeObjects on floors above the ground floor, they will be always visible to the ground floor.

@jje1000

I did more testing. I realised that if I go to map view directly from the lot the trees won't load. If I zoom out as much as possible and then go to map view, the trees load. I tried this with EA values and mine, same result.
https://i.imgur.com/dWz4LR0.png

I removed most of the chances I have made to test this. The above pic's settings with EA's default tree details:

Thanks for the values! Will try to do some testing- I tried to do the zoom out then map, but it didn't work for me.

That being said, if there's an object that might work well with the LargeObjects tag, it's trees. I think they always appear from the ground regardless of which floor you place them on- so that tag might be worth a shot.
Field Researcher
#8088 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 3:52 AM
There was one lot that was acting out, the platform view lot.

Doesn't the world generate pictures of the lots that it uses to load faster? and if you change the lot, the new changes do not necessarily show unless you do something to refresh the image?

LargeObjects tag, so it seems like the smaller trees that are usually used in lots in themselves are NOT tagged as largeObjects? that doesn't make sense to me but wouldn't put beyond EA. And im too lazy to check.
Mad Poster
#8089 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
2 questions; they're not related.

@igazor Will I mess up my game if I install fire alarms in houses that are lived in by NPCs?

Does anybody have a website they use for dog names? Regina wants a third dog, but I can't decide what kind or what to name it. I'm hoping that if I can come up with a name, it will inspire me pick a dog. Odds are this makes no sense to anybody but me; that's okay.

By NPCs do you mean inactive (not player controlled) residents? Then no, that's certainly fine. Or do you mean homeless NPCs who appear to live in but really go to darkened out NPC-only units of LN style apartment buildings to hibernate? That's probably fine too, but not really sure I see the point as there is nothing in those units to catch fire.

I know this is no help, but one of the best names I've ever seen for a dog was mentioned on the EA forums recently and that would be Askim.

"So, what's your dog's name?"
"Askim."
Mad Poster
#8090 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 3:05 AM
Clouds can't possibly be red unless you've got a world lighting setup to have red clouds under certain circumstances. Chances are yours does, and it's one of the 5 default weather types. I believe there's one that only has a .1% chance of happening, and you may have just happened upon it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#8091 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 3:39 AM
Oh wow! Whatever the cause, I'd really love it if I could order up a red sky like that when I need it. I have a particular use in mind for something like that.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Scholar
#8092 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 5:20 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#8093 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 2:15 AM
Here's a stupid question; If a sim takes a photo with a camera in a town and then that town is deleted, will the photo be wiped as well?
Top Secret Researcher
#8094 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
Here's a stupid question; If a sim takes a photo with a camera in a town and then that town is deleted, will the photo be wiped as well?

No, photo still exists in the camera. In fact, you can stick the picture on a wall, share the lot, and the downloader can have the picture while having nothing that is in the picture actually in their game. A tutorial you might like: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532440

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
#8095 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
No, photo still exists in the camera. In fact, you can stick the picture on a wall, share the lot, and the downloader can have the picture while having nothing that is in the picture actually in their game. A tutorial you might like: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532440

Yes! That'll really come in handy for CC free uploads
Scholar
#8096 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 10:54 AM
As I'm new to this game I always have questions. Here is one of them:

In TS2 the game always starts in hood view and it's easy to jump into a family but in TS3 the game always starts on the same lot. I once wanted to switch to an other lot but there was a message saying something like that all hopes and primisses would be lost if I did switch lot. And as I do not know what that means I did not go on. So, what dos it mean? What will be lost?
(Sorry for not remembering the exact phrase and as I'm on the wrong computer I can not check the detail now).
Mad Poster
#8097 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
As I'm new to this game I always have questions. Here is one of them:

In TS2 the game always starts in hood view and it's easy to jump into a family but in TS3 the game always starts on the same lot. I once wanted to switch to an other lot but there was a message saying something like that all hopes and primisses would be lost if I did switch lot. And as I do not know what that means I did not go on. So, what dos it mean? What will be lost?
(Sorry for not remembering the exact phrase and as I'm on the wrong computer I can not check the detail now).

Actively played sims have up to four promised wishes that they may be working on as well as possibly some opportunities as can be seen on their information panels. If you switch active player controlled households in the manner described without a mod to protect the saved wishes, then the saved in-progress ones for the sims you will no longer be controlling will be dropped.

For those so inclined, there are five NRaas mods that offer different ways to preserve these promised wishes and opportunities for sims when they become inactive -- MasterController, StoryProgression, Mover, PortraitPanel, and Selector. Note however that too many, and how many is "too many" is difficult to nail down, dream managers running on inactive, not player-controlled sims at the same time can cause a serious drain on performance.
Scholar
#8098 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Actively played sims have up to four promised wishes that they may be working on as well as possibly some opportunities as can be seen on their information panels. If you switch active player controlled households in the manner described without a mod to protect the saved wishes, then the saved in-progress ones for the sims you will no longer be controlling will be dropped.

For those so inclined, there are five NRaas mods that offer different ways to preserve these promised wishes and opportunities for sims when they become inactive -- MasterController, StoryProgression, Mover, PortraitPanel, and Selector. Note however that too many, and how many is "too many" is difficult to nail down, dream managers running on inactive, not player-controlled sims at the same time can cause a serious drain on performance.

In your opinion, whitch one is the best and easiest to work whit? My wish was to play whit as few mods as possible but as TS3 seems to be unable to keep track of things (unlike TS2) I can download a mod for this because I want to jump from family to family (so I don't get bored).
Mad Poster
#8099 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
In your opinion, whitch one is the best and easiest to work whit? My wish was to play whit as few mods as possible but as TS3 seems to be unable to keep track of things (unlike TS2) I can download a mod for this because I want to jump from family to family (so I don't get bored).

The door is right over there. See ya. Okay, just kidding...

It really depends on your play style and what you are trying to do. Although biased of course, I have all of the mods I just listed for other reasons anyway and I can't imagine playing without MasterController.

MasterController - The mod is very complex, but it's a player control center and actually does nothing at all once its command menus are loaded at startup after which it sits back and waits for a command to perhaps be selected. One of its options is to make active switches Dream Catching, and one of its commands is "Make Active" which will switch active households without a trip to Edit Town and operate according to how the option is set. It has no impact on Edit Town switches.

StoryProgression -
If you have no interest in a modded version of story progression, then it makes no sense to even consider this mod.

PortraitPanel -
If you do not have a need to alter the default behavior of the portrait panel on the left side of the screen, such as by playing a household with more than eight sims or by wishing to list inactive sims from other households on it, then it makes no sense to consider this mod either.

Selector -
This is the easiest to use for household switching, as by option it can be done by right-clicking on a sim. It is also therefore the easiest to use accidentally when one didn't mean to switch actives and for that reason I keep this option switched off. Selector active switches are always Dream Catching.

Mover - This one extends Dream Catching to household move-outs, splits, and Edit Town, but not in any other ways.

I will repeat the warning, though. If you switch households all over town and keep Dream Managers running on all of them, then your game performance will suffer possibly to the point where the game is no longer playable or all of the RAM that the game can use is taken up by them. MasterController can be used to see how many Dream Managers are running across town and has a command to drop all of them (meaning except for the currently being played household), but there is no way to be selective about it once you have too many going.
Top Secret Researcher
#8100 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 4:44 PM
I would recommend Error Trap and Overwatch (and probably also Go Here) for any game of Sims 3 at all. They're also from Nrass. (Error Trap and Overwatch run in the background; Go Here helps with routing. And we all know Sims and routing!)
Page 324 of 385