Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 1:50 AM
Default ErrorTrap Problem
Ok since the site keeps logging me off to post a help thread in the help section and thus so blocking me from making a post.

Anyways. Since I couldn't find help for this issue in Nraas's site. I recently downloaded the ErrorTrap. I also downloaded other stuff from the site up to my patch level. I made a bunch of sims to fill in the roles of mixologists, take over registers and other roles of community sims. Worked well. When I returned to my game. I notice a few script errors pop up at the corner and suddenly deleted a lot of sims associated with the script errors. My question is, how do I get these sims back that the ErrorTrap had deleted?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 2:29 AM
Why don't you post this in the NRaas forums?
dodgy builder
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 11:20 AM
Where did you try to log on in help? Here on mts?

Did you make an account on nraas? Then you can post in the chat box or on each mod.

Perhaps Igazor pops in
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 2:43 PM
Hi there. ErrorTrap does not delete sims just when it feels like it. It removes leftover data from sims who are no longer in your game for other reasons (this is where those Found Deleted Sims and Deleted Sim Descriptions, etc. script logs come from). But it will delete sims and objects that it deems so corrupt that they are beyond use anyway.

It is impossible to tell what went wrong there or which other mods you are using to manage these Role Sims (Register, maybe?) without having the script logs in their entirety zipped together, uploaded to our site, and a support thread opened. A free wikispaces account and NRaas membership are required to upload and post. I'm afraid we cannot provide this level of support over here on MTS.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com (See "Becoming a Member")
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 3:52 PM
I've re-installed Error trap a few days ago.

I've not seen it delete a sim. It did free two "stuck" sims - Plumbots, that my sim sold in the ITF plumbot store. They disappeared right off the Plumbot stands and ErrorTrap told me it had freed "stuck" sims.

I felt so bad... like I was a slave owner selling them into slavery and the Abolitionist broke their chains as they stood to be sold. Somehow, I wasn't selling toasters anymore.

I've not seen either of them walking around free in Oasis Landing. Perhaps the underground rail road spirited them north or something. Yeah, they were probably deleted by Story Progression for being unneeded homeless sims cuz I chose to drive the rift raft out.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I've re-installed Error trap a few days ago.

I've not seen it delete a sim. It did free two "stuck" sims - Plumbots, that my sim sold in the ITF plumbot store. They disappeared right off the Plumbot stands and ErrorTrap told me it had freed "stuck" sims.

We might want to see the script logs on those uploaded, if you still have them. This sounds more like something Overwatch would do as I don't believe ErrorTrap even has a "Stuck Sim" checking routine in it and, in any event, maybe it can/should be adjusted for within the correct mod.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
We might want to see the script logs on those uploaded, if you still have them. This sounds more like something Overwatch would do as I don't believe ErrorTrap even has a "Stuck Sim" checking routine in it and, in any event, maybe it can/should be adjusted for within the correct mod.

Oh... I put overwatch, error trap and SP on all at the same time. My bad. So maybe overwatch...

I'll try and find the logs. I forgot about the logs. The problem is, I have 3 windows accounts and 1 Linux account, and I use them all to play the sims cuz it's easier. What I do is User1 is the supernatural stuff, User 2 is science flavored, User 3 is CAW and play testing my own worlds, Linux is for the one with other mods I don't trust to not mess up my windows games... and there's been more error logs made after that...

I didn't really care my Plumbot RED found his freedom, so it wasn't a game buster I was going to complain about.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 9:26 AM Last edited by Baiaana : 23rd Mar 2017 at 10:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Katsu_san
Ok since the site keeps logging me off to post a help thread in the help section and thus so blocking me from making a post.

Anyways. Since I couldn't find help for this issue in Nraas's site. I recently downloaded the ErrorTrap. I also downloaded other stuff from the site up to my patch level. I made a bunch of sims to fill in the roles of mixologists, take over registers and other roles of community sims. Worked well. When I returned to my game. I notice a few script errors pop up at the corner and suddenly deleted a lot of sims associated with the script errors. My question is, how do I get these sims back that the ErrorTrap had deleted?

If you haven't saved that game you could remove errortrap and then start again, you should find everything back to normal: the same thing happened to me while ago, i did this and it worked.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 11:47 AM
The only instance where I experienced ET deleting Sims is when I had AwesomeMod's Chosen and Radar-Tagged traits on Sims and then loaded that game without AwesomeMod present.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 4:28 PM Last edited by igazor : 23rd Mar 2017 at 5:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
The only instance where I experienced ET deleting Sims is when I had AwesomeMod's Chosen and Radar-Tagged traits on Sims and then loaded that game without AwesomeMod present.

That's because those sims without AM present would suddenly have undefined traits, which is a sign of corruption. Not really corruption in this case, but the sims would likely have or already had developed other serious issues with the Trait Manager because of this. Isn't there supposed to be an AM Removal Tool to cover these things or was the loadup without AM present done by accident?

I still vote for the OP bringing the issue to us if they could so we could see what the underlying problem might be. But it's their choice, of course.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 10:02 PM
Oh, I know. I should have added, that the only instance I know is when a Sim has a custom trait and that trait is suddenly missing, like the ones offered by AwesomeMod. So I wanted to suggest that OPs problem might be cause by something similar - i.e. missing traits. Maybe this can happen with 1.69?

First time I saw this it was indeed by accident, the other times I knew what I was doing and only loaded a save to export a lot or look into something.

There isn't a tool per se to remove AM but a console command that, intuitively enough, is called "uninstall". The other option is to simply disable anything specific to AM before you remove it, like remove the custom traits from Sims or quit all Supreme Commander orders.
Site Helper
#12 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 1:00 AM
If you have 1.69, and it "forgot" some of your EP's, wouldn't you lose any trait that came with that EP?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 1:48 AM Last edited by igazor : 24th Mar 2017 at 2:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
If you have 1.69, and it "forgot" some of your EP's, wouldn't you lose any trait that came with that EP?

I think one would be lucky if a saved game that has "seen" most of those EPs would even start up without them present. But among the host of issues it would have, yes this would probably be one.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 4:00 PM
I run ErrorTrap when I have a test version of an NRAAS mod, or in the very rare instance when I think I'm having issues with an NRAAS mod that is a stable version... which would be never. Since it's used to provide debugging info to the developers for NRAAS mods; and the mods are, in my experience, stable once out of test version, all it does is fill up my sims3 directory with a bunch of nuisance error reports that I'm never going to upload to the NRAAS website. It also tends to be a bit of a distraction, filling up the upper right hand corner notification window with useless messages.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go complaining to NRAAS about one of their mods if you don't have the ErrorTrap report to go with it, or can at least say you were running ErrorTrap and it didn't throw an error when you had a problem.

It isn't like ErrorTrap itself can't create issues: The NRAAS website itself provides tuning mods for ErrorTrap as solutions to these issues.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ErrorTrap+Tuning

Personally, I wouldn't tell people that they're doing something wrong by not running this mod. Every computer and game is a bit different.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 4:36 PM Last edited by igazor : 24th Mar 2017 at 5:21 PM.
The game is notoriously bad at performing garbage collection. I don't mean rubbish items that our sims throw away, I mean trash data cleanup. ErrorTrap addresses that or at least does its best to among its other functions. By not keeping it in play or by tuning out its functions that may seem annoying (those tunings suppress ET's functionality, not just its log production), it does not achieve all of its intended purposes.

It's perfectly okay if you don't know what garbage collection is, that's more of a programming/design concept, and it's not something you can see unless or until something goes wrong with your game. And we would never go around telling people they are "wrong" (or something) to not use ET, but perhaps we might tell them they are misunderstanding what it's there for. But what causes an issue worthy of complaining about is those who do not understand what the mod really does claiming otherwise, telling other players what it does and doesn't do when they are only interpreting symptoms of their own games, and telling them to remove it, when that advice is misguided and coming from an uninformed place. That is what we are seeing on three other threads here in the past few days, not so much on this one.

If a player intends or expects their ongoing games to implode or end gracefully after a couple of sim generations or a few (real time) weeks or maybe a month or two of play, then none of this really matters much anyway because they are going to keep starting brand new games that have no garbage data in them to begin with. If they expect their ongoing games to last and entertain them for (real time) years without having to keep starting their sims over in new worlds, then this does matter. I expect most players are somewhere in between, but we do aim for the longer range goals when not told otherwise as I don't think any of us are prepared to interview players to find out what they expect to be playing and where in a few months or years when they seek help. Yes, every player has their own set of play patterns and every game is different. Which is precisely why telling players to remove ET or tune out its functions just because they produce script logs or can potentially hiccup over one error loop when such is not expected is bad advice to be offering up to all players regardless of their game situations.

Somewhat Off-Topic Rant
I've already been accused of "shoving" (whatever that means) a player who ignored me and continued to dispense such advice and I've had the pleasure of having our own mods incorrectly explained to me by players who don't know any better a few times. I am pleased that such doesn't seem to be the prevailing sentiment on these boards because we really cannot help players who don't want to be helped, but the noise to signal ratio is getting a bit higher here than it should be. Or at least, higher than it used to be.
/end Somewhat Off-Topic Rant
Instructor
#16 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 5:38 PM
I run ErrorTrap when I have a test version of an NRAAS mod, or in the very rare instance when I think I'm having issues with an NRAAS mod that is a stable version... which would be never. Since it's used to provide debugging info to the developers for NRAAS mods; and the mods are, in my experience, stable once out of test version, all it does is fill up my sims3 directory with a bunch of nuisance error reports that I'm never going to upload to the NRAAS website. It also tends to be a bit of a distraction, filling up the upper right hand corner notification window with useless messages.

I have the exact opposite view, I like those error reports and often enough they're simple things that I can look into and perhaps fix, but they also help me understand the game mechanics and the health of my save. If I start getting lots of error reports all of a sudden, it's a good indicator to me that something might be going wrong in my save (perhaps despite scanning, I've got a bad piece of CC or something else is going wrong, or I haven't run save cleaner in a while and my save is getting bloated). It's not a big deal to me close the notifications if I'm not interested in looking into them at the time, but I'd rather know what's going on in my game.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The game is notoriously bad at performing garbage collection. I don't mean rubbish items that our sims throw away, I mean trash data cleanup. ErrorTrap addresses that or at least does its best to among its other functions. By not keeping it in play or by tuning out its functions that may seem annoying (those tunings suppress ET's functionality, not just its log production), it does not achieve all of its intended purposes.

It's perfectly okay if you don't know what garbage collection is, that's more of a programming/design concept, and it's not something you can see unless or until something goes wrong with your game. And we would never go around telling people they are "wrong" (or something) to not use ET, but perhaps we might tell them they are misunderstanding what it's there for. But what causes an issue worthy of complaining about is those who do not understand what the mod really does claiming otherwise, telling other players what it does and doesn't do when they are only interpreting symptoms of their own games, and telling them to remove it, when that advice is misguided and coming from an uninformed place. That is what we are seeing on three other threads here in the past few days, not so much on this one.

If a player intends or expects their ongoing games to implode or end gracefully after a couple of sim generations or a few (real time) weeks or maybe a month or two of play, then none of this really matters much anyway because they are going to keep starting brand new games that have no garbage data in them to begin with. If they expect their ongoing games to last and entertain them for (real time) years without having to keep starting their sims over in new worlds, then this does matter. I expect most players are somewhere in between, but we do aim for the longer range goals when not told otherwise as I don't think any of us are prepared to interview players to find out what they expect to be playing and where in a few months or years when they seek help. Yes, every player has their own set of play patterns and every game is different. Which is precisely why telling players to remove ET or tune out its functions just because they produce script logs or can potentially hiccup over one error loop when such is not expected is bad advice to be offering up to all players regardless of their game situations.
Somewhat Off-Topic Rant
I've already been accused of "shoving" (whatever that means) a player who ignored me and continued to dispense such advice and I've had the pleasure of having our own mods incorrectly explained to me by players who don't know any better a few times. I am pleased that such doesn't seem to be the prevailing sentiment on these boards because we really cannot help players who don't want to be helped, but the noise to signal ratio is getting a bit higher here than it should be. Or at least, higher than it used to be.
/end Somewhat Off-Topic Rant

Very well explained (again). I wish I had your patience and tact. I've been following these threads the past few days as well as some in the past and can only come to the conclusion with a suggestion that going forward, issues with NRaas mods be addressed where the Mods, The Developer, and the experience lives...over at NRaas. And that's not to say no one can complain or "share experiences". but these "debates" are counter productive and for new players reading these threads confusing and misleading.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
I have the exact opposite view, I like those error reports and often enough they're simple things that I can look into and perhaps fix, but they also help me understand the game mechanics and the health of my save. If I start getting lots of error reports all of a sudden, it's a good indicator to me that something might be going wrong in my save (perhaps despite scanning, I've got a bad piece of CC or something else is going wrong, or I haven't run save cleaner in a while and my save is getting bloated). It's not a big deal to me close the notifications if I'm not interested in looking into them at the time, but I'd rather know what's going on in my game.

Most simmers aren't going to understand the error reports and they couldn't fix them unless they can modify NRAAS core mods. The NRAAS people do understand them and they're very helpful. Like I said, if you have a problem install ET and upload the report on the NRAAS website with an explanation of what happened in the game when it threw the report. And if you're running test versions of NRAAS mods, ET is essential or don't complain.

But telling people they can't recommend not running it for whatever reason is kinda a bit much. Saying that people don't understand what the mod does when there's little documentation for it is also a bit blame the user. How can they know if it's not in the documentation?

NRAAS mods are great, but saying it's forbidden to criticize them is a bit much.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 12:37 AM Last edited by igazor : 25th Mar 2017 at 1:15 AM.
But telling people they can't recommend not running it for whatever reason is kinda a bit much.

Telling people they shouldn't recommend something they do not understand for reasons that are not correct (i.e., what a mod is designed to do vs. what it looks like it is doing to a particular player) is not "a bit much."

This really isn't all that different from what happens when a misguided player comes on the boards and insists that we should all be running our games on machines with 2 GB of RAM total. Or that capping frame rates on modern graphics cards is a bad thing. The community here, or at least the portion of it that enjoys providing support to players, would not and should not let such statements stand and will do their best to explain to the poster (if they seem to be earnest in these beliefs) why these things are not the best kinds of advice to be providing others.

NRAAS mods are great, but saying it's forbidden to criticize them is a bit much.

I agree, that would be absurd. But no one here ever said that.