Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 5:59 AM
Default Anyone else without access to the game?
My computer broke so I can't play until I buy a new one. I'm dying to play and it sucks not being able to. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 12:25 PM Last edited by ph03n1x : 16th Mar 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Yes and no. Thanks to the wonderful 1.69 update, I can no longer play TS3 without WiFi. Because Origin harasses me with mandatory (and sometimes game-breaking) updates whenever I sign on, I prefer to keep WiFi turned off when simming. And even with WiFi on, sometimes it will just flat-out refuse to start.

That's why I've moved on to TS4 in spite of its issues. At least it has offline mode.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 8:48 PM
Sort of. I have the game on Origin, on discs and some of it even on Steam. But The Sims 3 just isn't playable for me, it stutters like hell and the bigger the save gets, the worse the stutter gets. Eventually it reaches a point where the game freezes for up to 15 seconds whenever I move the camera...

Quote: Originally posted by ph03n1x
Yes and no. Thanks to the wonderful 1.69 update, I can no longer play TS3 without WiFi. Because Origin harasses me with mandatory (and sometimes game-breaking) updates whenever I sign on, I prefer to keep WiFi turned off when simming. And even with WiFi on, sometimes it will just flat-out refuse to start.

Weird, mine works offline. I'm not getting notified about updates either.

I'm using Origin 10, which is still in Beta I think? Maybe try that.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 9:18 PM
Anarchy Blues, have you seen all the recommendations to investigate the frame rates and limit it to 60 per second? I never thought it applied to me because something I read about the third-party frame rate limiting programs made it sound like I couldn't do anything about it anyway with my particular setup. But I got convinced to take a look and first of all, the fps in my game was in the 200s and 300s, and secondly, I discovered I could handle it right in the Nvidia control panel. And now my game runs beautifully, no more long loading times, no more lag, no more stutter, no more graphics card misbehavior and no more weird behavior from the game as it tries to compensate. (I have reason to think I did shorten the card's life over all before I fixed it, but it's performing well right now).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:49 AM
Sometimes I miss TS3 even while it's running. I'll be looking at old screenshots, at others' screenshots, I'll be remembering I've experienced in and with TS3...and then I'll manage to get ever so slightly sentimental.
But other than that it runs fine. Bearable loading times, not too much lag, no crashes whatsoever, and it's still the best game in the franchise by far, overall.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anarchy Blues
Weird, mine works offline. I'm not getting notified about updates either.

I'm using Origin 10, which is still in Beta I think? Maybe try that.

Huh... maybe that's my problem. I'll try this later.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
Anarchy Blues, have you seen all the recommendations to investigate the frame rates and limit it to 60 per second? I never thought it applied to me because something I read about the third-party frame rate limiting programs made it sound like I couldn't do anything about it anyway with my particular setup. But I got convinced to take a look and first of all, the fps in my game was in the 200s and 300s, and secondly, I discovered I could handle it right in the Nvidia control panel. And now my game runs beautifully, no more long loading times, no more lag, no more stutter, no more graphics card misbehavior and no more weird behavior from the game as it tries to compensate. (I have reason to think I did shorten the card's life over all before I fixed it, but it's performing well right now).

Yes I have V-Sync enabled, and also made it recognize my graphics card.
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 6:43 PM
Oh well, I guess that's not the issue then...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 6:35 PM
Not me currently, but when I first got Sims 2 I couldn't play because my grandmother didn't know you had to have base game Sims 2 to play stuff packs. I was at her house for the weekend and she doesn't have a computer, but we bought me Sims 2 and I was so anxious to play it, I read the manual three times through. Good times.

you and me together, we were gemini feed