Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
#576 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 1:23 AM
I don't know why some religions get such a bad rap when others do not. Christianity, Islam, and Wicca for examples. Judaism can become fanatical as well, but most of the blame is put on Christianity or Islam as being fanatical. I think the bad reputation of Wicca stems from history when witches were tortured or burned. I'm Buddhist myself which I think is the least controversial of the world religions. I was however, raised Muslim but converted in my 40's. I don't mean to say anything bad about Islam, I just didn't have the same belief system as they did and always felt like an outsider now I finally feel free. It is my wish everyone would stop with this philosophy that something is "bad" just because it is not their own view. People do not realize how hurtful they are towards another. I see a lot of bumper stickers in my city and I have one too Coexist with religious symbols as the letters. Whatever form of God you believe in you should know he/she is the same God all around is my beliefs, so there is no excuse for one religion to make another feel bad or to show favorites. Because at the root, they all teach basically the same message.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#577 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 1:37 AM
well its because those religions are the most known world-wide, plus lots of political issues re based around Islam and Christianity(so it kinda gets mixed up between religions and politics), i know it does in my country. And i agree with you, but even lots of Muslims doesn't have the same beliefs ( traditions and stuff like that), its a shame that people just make a certain idea about Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Wicca, its not about impressions and defiantly doesnt revolve about certain ideas!
Retired
retired moderator
#578 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 7:30 AM
Quote:
Because at the root, they all teach basically the same message.

And that message is: Decide first, ask questions later.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Banned
#579 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 8:50 AM
Actually I was thinking the message was "Love God, Do Good, Shut up and go Home" They all say the same thing some add more to their rules or whatever, but that's the basic idea. I think we are confusing the "actual" message with the more "popular' message. You are right that does seem to sadly be the more popular message on most religions, but in the sacred texts whether it be The Bible, or The Qur'an, or The Torah, or the writings of Buddha their message is to Love God and do good for others.
Mad Poster
#580 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims99Fanatic
... the writings of Buddha their message is to Love God and do good for others.

Buddha never wrote anything down and supposedly didn't believe or 'disbelieve' in a god.
Lab Assistant
#581 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 6:04 PM
I agree with RoseCity . I always though Budhism was more close to philosophy then religion . And I believe it's the only religion that doesn't smell religion , that doesn't have the same sense of 'addiction' like religion do . And I always though that Budhism was very close to Atheism .

Well for me , Atheism is think for yourself . One that take the path of Atheist , instead of being labbeled a no-beliver . I like to think that Atheisme is the path of someone who choose science over spirit . Doesn't mean , the person doesn't have a sense of what's on the other side .

Right now Atheism is being almost like a religion and I don't like it lol

Budhism don't convert , and it is all about musing over what Budha said and what not .

Judaisme , well.....my roomate is Jewish and is part of Jewish Moderate(?) . In traditional Jewish they don't allow female Rabbi I think . And she say in Moderate they do allow it . And Jewish don't convert either , and Jewish have a paradise for those that don't believe in the same religion . While , in Islam I recall only one kind of Paradise and only one kind of hell . So as far as I can tell.....Judaisme kinda open on that side lol

And no , each God is different . To say we all have the same God , and only his name is different . Well that's wrong , because if it was the case that God is recognized as being the same one in all religion and only named differently . I think all these religions would have put their difference aside and fused together a long time ago .

I think , because it's a different God with a different messenger is what make...all this mess that's religion . Again that's just me

- Shaar: I only have *ONE*god ! and it's ME! -
- My mind is rpg , My heart is Music and My gender is Art -
Scholar
#582 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bodhie
And no , each God is different . To say we all have the same God , and only his name is different . Well that's wrong , because if it was the case that God is recognized as being the same one in all religion and only named differently . I think all these religions would have put their difference aside and fused together a long time ago .

I think , because it's a different God with a different messenger is what make...all this mess that's religion . Again that's just me

No, the "problem" is that each religion is so focused on its way and its prophet as being "THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE WAY!!!" (tm) that they can't see that all ways go to the same destination.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Lab Assistant
#583 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 7:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea

no, that's what people turned religion all about because it changed from a way to believe to just a style of life, you see your parents do something when you were a kid, so you have to do it and grow up doing so as they did.
and just take a look when clerics of any religion try to convert people or talk about their religion, they keep showing others the good things(merits) of it and so on
Retired
retired moderator
#584 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 4:58 PM
I didn't say anything about lifestyle, just epistemological (philosophy of knowledge and belief) sins. Faith is a commitment to a set of positions without sufficient evidence, it's a system of casually adopting prejudices about metaphysics.

Lab Assistant
#585 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 9:17 AM
i dont reject your idea,
its not just that, miracles and these stuff is not something major in the modern ideas and believes any more(As far as i know) its centred only around, believe of God and certain figures(depending on which religion we're talking about) and this has its own justifications and an evidence in life it self, starting from nature or whatever that counts as spiritual evidence or just an evidence that makes you start acquiring what that religion is all about and what comes next.
Scholar
#586 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 12:38 AM
This thread has lain dormant for eleven months? Unacceptable! Come my minions, rise for your master, let your evil shine! Muhahaha!

What shall we discuss?
Mad Poster
#587 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea

I always thought it seems more like: Decide first, no questioning allowed.
Scholar
#588 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 12:02 PM
Within the context of 'European Churches' sure. However in places where people speak the language of their faith there are a lot of questions being raised and answered. In fact it is seen as a part of one's religious obligations to question and to explore in Islam, Judaism and the Christian faith.
Retired
retired moderator
#589 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 1:51 PM
Yes, but with the presumption that the questioning will lead to "Truth" - ie, not to truth of any kind, but back to religious claims about the world.

Those encouraging questions do so from the vantage point that religious myth is real stuff.

Scholar
#590 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 2:23 PM
What conclusion those individuals, or groups arrive at is irrelevant. I merely wished to point out that questioning occurs, it might not lead to the conclusion you wish, but questioning happens. It's inherent to the system.
Test Subject
#591 Old 20th Jul 2013 at 11:45 PM
Alot of you are being really harsh on Judaism and Islam.....I personally like those religions a lot, because they don't exactly happen to be the ones you always see on MTV for getting pregnant to some mystery father ast 16, or the kind who run around smoking joints half naked.

As a raised Baptist Roma Catholic potato, I was just told to live the word of god.I once got told by a boy at school, when I was eight, that I was a bad girl because I didn't go to church to get the word of god to be a good person.Honestly, I really think some of the Christian bible is bull poop.some of it is a good message, but I don't exactly believe when I see church-going kids being fathers or mothers by the age of 15......
Field Researcher
#592 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rectos Dominos
I would like to point out that almost every religion considers suicide sinful, Janism is the only one I found that doesn't forbid it. All the Abrahamic religions view suicide as sinful so the Islam religion views suicide as a sin which I find ironic those suicide bombers who are doing it in the name of Allah will be hell and they will get their 72 virgins but not what they had in mind . I admit till recently I only knew the Christian's view of suicide so this was worth looking into.

Well hi ,
im a Muslim and i thought i should respond yes suisde is a sin in Islam these people are wrong every religion has bad people , they think if they bomb their self they will go to heaven but its very wrong and in Islam everyone who kills himself will go to hell
Test Subject
#593 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 6:15 PM
I thought this thread was about religions other than Christianity, yet that is all I see anyone talking about?

Is there anyone who is interested in talking about the bible from a non-christian perspective? If I were to start posting in the Christianity thread, I would get ripped to shreds, because even though I believe in what the bible says, cover to cover and I believe that Christ is the divine Messiah, I do not believe in most of the doctrines and customs that have developed within Christianity over that last 2000 years and many Christians do not accept me, or others like me as being true Christians because of that.
For example, one poster here said that the Torah is not meant to be kept that it only shows us our need for a savior. I strongly disagree with that. I believe it shows us we need a savior to enable us to keep it. The religion that I follow is the religion that is in the bible and so near as can tell, it does not have a name. In the bible it is simply called "The Way". If there is anyone here that is a follower of "The Way", I would love to discuss the teachings in the bible. As for The Sims...I even have my Sims following "The Way"...LOL, which can be a bit of a challenge, but a fun challenge at that.
Test Subject
#594 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Einstein'sRiddle
Alot of you are being really harsh on Judaism and Islam.....I personally like those religions a lot, because they don't exactly happen to be the ones you always see on MTV for getting pregnant to some mystery father ast 16, or the kind who run around smoking joints half naked.

As a raised Baptist Roma Catholic potato, I was just told to live the word of god.I once got told by a boy at school, when I was eight, that I was a bad girl because I didn't go to church to get the word of god to be a good person.Honestly, I really think some of the Christian bible is bull poop.some of it is a good message, but I don't exactly believe when I see church-going kids being fathers or mothers by the age of 15......

I think the bible is really good and true but the interpretations of it are so messed up, especially in Christianity. I think that Judaism, of all the organized religions, has the most accurate understanding as well they should, since they are the ones who have written and preserved the scriptures from the very start! The other thing about Judaism is that you do not all have to agree. There are many interpretations and they are not seen as right or wrong, there can be more than one interpretation and they can all be correct because it is not a matter of who is right, it is a matter of levels. There are many levels of interpretation and this kind of view of scripture can lead to some very interesting conversations and deep learning free from judgement and anger. I am not Jewish but I would prefer to learn from a Rabbi than a Christian teacher and I would prefer to discuss biblical topics with a religious Jew than a Christian. I've found that religious Jews are much more graceful in discussions and they do not try to convert you either.
Test Subject
#595 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I always thought it seems more like: Decide first, no questioning allowed.

If I was told to believe first and ask questions later or to not ask questions, I would be out the door so fast! I guess that is why it took me over 40 years to find a church to call home! If questioning is not allowed, nobody can learn anything. If I am told to "just believe" I am GONE! That is a sure sign of a desire for control and a lack of biblical knowledge so profound that the church is not even willing to attempt to answer the tough questions! Big RED flag to me!
Test Subject
#596 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims99Fanatic
I don't know why some religions get such a bad rap when others do not. Christianity, Islam, and Wicca for examples. Judaism can become fanatical as well, but most of the blame is put on Christianity or Islam as being fanatical. I think the bad reputation of Wicca stems from history when witches were tortured or burned. I'm Buddhist myself which I think is the least controversial of the world religions. I was however, raised Muslim but converted in my 40's. I don't mean to say anything bad about Islam, I just didn't have the same belief system as they did and always felt like an outsider now I finally feel free. It is my wish everyone would stop with this philosophy that something is "bad" just because it is not their own view. People do not realize how hurtful they are towards another. I see a lot of bumper stickers in my city and I have one too Coexist with religious symbols as the letters. Whatever form of God you believe in you should know he/she is the same God all around is my beliefs, so there is no excuse for one religion to make another feel bad or to show favorites. Because at the root, they all teach basically the same message.

(I believe) There is one God, but many false 'gods'. Truth is true wherever it is found. We see common truths in all religions and among all people. Basic issues of morality are generally agreed upon IE that it is wrong to lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc. that it is good to love, forgive, have patience. Sadly most people today, of any religion are seriously lacking in many virtues that the one true God has required of us all. In fact many use their preferred religion as an excuse to break many moral laws. I don't believe God created religion at all. I only believe that God created sets of laws, physical and spiritual laws that provide order. If you break a physical or spiritual law there are certain consequences, if you adhere to those same laws there are consequences. If you jump off a building you most certainly will hit the ground and if you refuse to forgive others you most certainly will grow bitter and be unhappy.
Top Secret Researcher
#597 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 8:58 PM
Yikes, don't post four times in a row! You can copy and paste quotes into a single post if necessary.

I agree with you on several issues. I utterly hate it when people say "just believe", and I much prefer talking with non-Evangelicals. (Catholics are a little better about not converting, though there are exceptions.) When someone's goal is to convert as many people as possible, it feels more like I'm getting sold fire insurance than a religion.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#598 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 9:47 PM
I would pay to see a religion running around half naked smoking a joint.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Page 24 of 24