Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 5:17 PM
Default Sims1 Stories
Sims1 wasn't set up to be nearly as story-driven as Sims2, which is one reason why I'm not really tempted to go back to it; but stories happened, nonetheless. And I'm all about the stories, so I want to hear what you managed to do with the little tabulae rasas. So it behooves me to get the ball rolling by telling one of mine.

In my longest-running hood, Old Town was full of old buildings ready for gentrification - I basically bulldozed everything, deleted the premades (having already played them umpty-up times in other hoods), and constructed a variety of homes to a theme. One of these was an old barn, into which Marsha Mallow moved with the ambition to fix it up really nice. She had an ordinary job, but I bought her a bunch of architectural-themed CC and she built her creativity up working at a drawing table making plans for her renovations, which I undertook as she could afford them.

At first her life proceeded in my normal strategic course. She made friends with four neighbors and a Strange, married the Strange, and had two little girls. Since the Strange - whose name was something like Suarakakat; I just called him Suarie - moved in with a criminal job and one of her friends was an ex-criminal who married a cop, and the policy was for the townie spouses of my playables to make friends with the townie spouses of the other playables, I wrote some story in there where he had innocently been sucked into the criminal career by organized criminals who had helped him immigrate on condition that he do certain jobs for them. In retrospect, the machine guns should've tipped him off that something wasn't quite right. So he made friends with the cop, wangled an immunity deal, assisted in a sting against them, and found another job without ever doing time himself. All this was pretty straightforward and mostly in my head.

And then came the Day of the Disastrous Barbeque. Marsha'd taken the day off to have her friends over, and in the evening Suarie started grilling and set the yard on fire. I had a fire alarm outside, but the fireman had to fight his way through the panicking crowd and in the excitement of making Suarie extinguish the flames before they caught any of his guests, I completely lost track of the fact that Marsha had gotten trapped in a square between a tree and the house. By the time I realized it, Grimm had already shown up, and I couldn't get Suarie to him to plead in time. And then the younger daughter, Suampia*caught fire! But I was on top of it this time, and Suarie pleaded with Grim - semi-successfully. Suampia survived, but as a zombie.

So Suarie went into a funk, missed two days of work, and became recalcitrant about finding another job. Suampia and Candy were a little neglected, but of course kids in Sims1 were pretty self-sufficient. Eventually I got Suarie's act together enough, with the support of his and Marsha's friends, to look for another job, and he got one in the science track. I decided he was searching for a cure for Suampia's condition, bought him a chemistry station, and built a separate shed, with an extra shower (where Suampie would go to shower as soon as she got home from school), out back to house his experiments. When he finished a random potion I'd leave it lying around until someone came along and randomly drank it - got quite a few temporary zombies out of that! But he couldn't keep up with the bills on his own, so I let him have a second romantic arc with a regular townie. She had to win over his daughters - older girl Candy treated her miserably - and Marsha's old friends, and her life was complicated by the fact that as soon as she married Suarie and started making her own decorating choices, Marsha's ghost started showing up.

I don't remember what her original job was, but eventually she got the celebrity bug and got an agent via the tabloid. She had quite a collection of black roses, and tour buses were stopping by the house all day long, at the time I finally stopped playing that neighborhood. The tabloids loved the tragic story of her family and the fact that the house was reputed to be haunted by the vengeful ghost of her husband's first wife! And they had a time keeping the papparrazzi away from Suampia.

*Don't judge me. It's hard coming up with names that pun satisfactorily on Mallow, and I'd already used Candy for the older girl.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 9:00 PM
HaHa I like your name "Marsha Mallow" ! What an - intricate story! I'm sorry I don't have one off hand. I use my photo album always to tell and remember their stories though. That's why I Really, really, really miss the Simple regular old photo album of the sims 1 And 2, and they don't have it in sims 3.

I like going into their photo album on a regular basis and going through the whole thing from day 1. It's like if you watch a soap opera and they do a little recap at the beginning of each days episode! The sims are almost like one of those rorsach (spelling?) psychological ink blot tests. They can be and do anything you want them to be. I do have a sims 2 story though, but I'm not sure how PG rated it is :P
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 10:32 PM
Have you been in the "Funnyest/strangest things" and other storytelling threads on Sims2?!? If it happens in the game, it's PG enough for us over there.

Yeah, without the storytelling tool, how does anybody keep track of what's going on? I always review the last few frames in the photo album before I begin play, and update it before I move on, so I don't lose track.

When I heard that Sims3 had no storytelling tool, I knew that there was no way under heaven I would ever play it, regardless of its other qualities. What would be the point?

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 10:03 AM
I have played on all the sims games. I never thought of writing a sims 1 story as it is not that easy to do. Sims 2 has all the story telling tools and movie tools also so doing that is easy. Sims 3 ... while it possible to d it is harder due to cc and beacuase it does suffer deacuase. Sims medieval, I spent allot researching this game before I brought it and EA made it quite clear that it is a storytelling based game and it ... is'nt theirs not even a free camera tool init so you can take shots at different angels.

If you want a storytelling tooled game I would personally go for sims 2 everytime (including fliming).

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 1:49 PM
What was hard about writing a story in Sims1? You had a photo album, and you could caption the pictures - I did it with all my families. It wasn't as sophisticated as the Sims2 album, but it was fine for keeping track of what was going on.

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 2:12 PM
Ahh I forgot adout that feature as personally I never used it and I would find it hard to make a sims story like witch queen in it.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

Nocturnal Dawn
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
I have played on all the sims games. I never thought of writing a sims 1 story as it is not that easy to do. Sims 2 has all the story telling tools and movie tools also so doing that is easy. Sims 3 ... while it possible to d it is harder due to cc and beacuase it does suffer deacuase. Sims medieval, I spent allot researching this game before I brought it and EA made it quite clear that it is a storytelling based game and it ... is'nt theirs not even a free camera tool init so you can take shots at different angels.

If you want a storytelling tooled game I would personally go for sims 2 everytime (including fliming).

Didn't they change the daft TSM camera in a patch?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 7:50 PM
No, I do'nt think so.

Nocturnal Dawn
Inventor
#9 Old 24th Aug 2012 at 5:42 AM
I love the Sims 1 photo album, it is so simple, as well as taking pictures. Though I do have a lot of pictures with captions such as "planted carrots" and "haha, my house burnt down" rather than actual story-telling.
Scholar
#10 Old 24th Aug 2012 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
No, I do'nt think so.

Patch 1.3.13:
"•Camera improvements - Have you ever wanted to get a better view of the action? The camera now allows tighter zooming and full 360 rotation in buildings."

I still have Shimrod's camera installed, but I remember he was going to take his down when this patch was released since he considered it to be redundant after the patch.
I know his camera goes right down to the ground now; I doubt the TSM one does.
His probably zooms closer as well.
It's been so long since I used the in-game camera, I'll need to take Shimrod's camera out and see if there are other differences as well.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 1:50 AM
My grandest story took place in a neighborhood I thought of as being a suburb of Los Angeles: it was the only neighborhood I allowed Sims to become Studio Down members in. Inspired as it was by Los Angeles -- something I emphasized by having a photograph of LA in almost every home -- there were two big themes running in it, "Hollywood" and gangsters. In my story, the two joined together. The neighborhood story was about the rise of a "good" gangster, from petty criminal to kingpin of the city, eventually "owning" a film studio. It had a lot of character -- and a lot of characters! One of my favorites was Jack "Blondie" April, who wore a fifties-style suit (grey suit, white shirt, pink tie) and started out as a safe-cracker, but then he came a Sinatra-style singer-actor. I played him as a rampaging playboy: I use Maxis' painting creator to litter the walls of his home with pictures of actresses and so on, and he had six bedrooms despite being a bachelor, and I had him dating multiple girls every night just to see him get caught and slapped. His second career was as a lieutenant in the gangster's organization, at least until he became a traitor and had to be knocked off while taking a cruise.

(That last part only happened in my head.)

One of the Sims in this neighborhood was Lindsay Lohan expy. This was back when she was still popular: her star had just begun to rise, in fact. She wasn't long removed from kid stuff like The Parent Trap, and I had a skin of her. She was my first Superstar sim, with a room full of trophy tables (That were full), and in the story she 'hired' one of the gangsters as her security detail..
Scholar
#12 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 7:28 AM
Been playing a sim self and a sim Jeff (bf), and I've been talking pictures with small quips like "Emma sighs as she looks at the half-burnt meal, at least he tried." and stuff like that. Probably not a story though.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 7:45 AM
Maybe not a story, but it sounds amusing just the same.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 8:41 PM
Also started another story, with a sim named Trashy McGee XDXDXD She's pretty much white trash who is in love with Bella Goth and wants to be famous XD I love her XD