Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2012 at 11:03 PM
Default Odd Custom Skins Glitch
Yeah, I finally gave in and started downloading Skins! Got A Lot of great ones! But I have a strange, I guess I can call it a glitch. And the funny thing is I remember the same thing from like 10 years ago , when I played and downloaded skins then.

Here's what happens: There's a certain mesh, in this case a "high heel" mesh. The mesh itself is fine, the clothes are great BUT when the dresser or CAS cycle gets to the NON high heel clothes, maxis mesh or otherwise, it imposes the high heel mesh onto all those clothes. SO what I end up with is A Lot , or all of the clothing "doubled". It works fine and all, but it all has the normal Flat heel, and then the high heel. Even bare feet, or inappropriate shoes will have the heel. It looks wrong on bare feet.

Then I just installed a male mesh that has big arm muscles, and it did the same thing. SO now the male clothes cycle through a "double" cycle, all with the big arm muscles, that unfortunately bleed through or look wrong on the "normal" male arms.

The game doesn't crash. And I've never made or edited my own skins. And so I don't have any of those fancy programs, and don't know that I want to bother. Just wondered if any of you more experienced people with making meshes, or downloading meshes can shed some insight on this. Do you have this in your game also?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Sep 2012 at 11:35 PM
It's been coded wrong, I would guess. What is the number (first four letters/numbers) of the CMX file and does it match any other file?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 12:29 AM
Hi maxon,For the high heel one, I really have no idea! It's possibly from "Simfreaks". I think it's a pretty popular mesh. But I'm not really sure Which, out of all the downloaded outfits, it is. B200fafit_JVDPR_Heels2cmx. There's one with "300" . There are plenty of other .cmx's too. For the male one though it's from 7DS, I think I can figure out which one that is. I suppose I could just find the male clothing , skn, and cmx and delelte all 3.

Since I can pinpoint the male one (I only downloaded 2 male meshes from there) , I went in and looked and all 3 The .bmp clothing, the mesh, and the cmx, do start with the same 4 letter / numbers, so they match each other. One is c709, the other is c547. Not sure if that helps, or how it relates to the Other clothing it is affecting?
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zorba2357
Hi maxon,For the high heel one, I really have no idea! It's possibly from "Simfreaks". I think it's a pretty popular mesh. But I'm not really sure Which, out of all the downloaded outfits, it is. B200fafit_JVDPR_Heels2cmx. There's one with "300" . There are plenty of other .cmx's too. For the male one though it's from 7DS, I think I can figure out which one that is. I suppose I could just find the male clothing , skn, and cmx and delelte all 3.

Since I can pinpoint the male one (I only downloaded 2 male meshes from there) , I went in and looked and all 3 The .bmp clothing, the mesh, and the cmx, do start with the same 4 letter / numbers, so they match each other. One is c709, the other is c547. Not sure if that helps, or how it relates to the Other clothing it is affecting?

Jerome's B200 mesh was deliberately coded to pick up the maxis one as well, since it was the same mesh with the addition of heels. That way you could have the outfit with heels or without.
As far as I recall the B300 was a nude mesh that was used to make shorts and underwear etc and there was a heeled version of this made as well, again deliberately coded to have clothes appear on both, which for underwear without shoes or boots, wasn't really ideal since the bare foot would end up heeled, but no-one minded much because of those occasions where it was suitable. You just picked the version of the mesh in game you wanted it on and ignored the second set.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 1:05 AM
Chickieteeta, thank you, that does explain it! So it's deliberate. I kind-of wish it didn't add a high heel to every other outfit. To me it isn't necessary, and just makes it that much longer to cycle through all of it. And if you have a lot of clothing , it's a lot! And yeah, then you have to pay attention and Not choose the barefoot one!

In that case I'm betting the male one is deliberate too. Though I can't be sure it's from 7DS, but that seems to be when I first noticed it. And although I like aliens, all those male spacesuit / alien things can become annoying to cycle through also. I think those were added with "complete collection" ?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 2:13 AM
Sounds like Chickieteeta solved your problem or at least explained it though you could change it if you like - it's easy enough to do. I attach a file I've posted here before but which might help explain to you how to do it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  How Skins Work.zip (3.9 KB, 16 downloads) - View custom content

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 3:15 AM
Thank you maxon. I do sort-of know the basics. I've just never created my own Mesh. I'm trying to read the file but my husband has the T.V. on really loud, very distracting ! I don't think I can easily just Change it though, especially if the high heel Mesh is Supposed to be that way. Yeah I could delete it . But I don't want to delete all the great clothes I've downloaded. I can delete the offending Meshes (and all the clothes associated with them, which I don't want to do) But I don't believe I can Alter the high heel mesh ( or the .cmx?) and others to not do what it was made to do.
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 8:19 AM
If you just delete the b200 and b300 heeled cmxs and the b200 and b300 heeled x-skin files, and leave the bmps installed they'll still show on the maxis non-heeled meshes.
As for the muscled ones if you want to keep them, you'll need the mesh.
You could always try renaming them, it's not hard to do. Just make the 3 digits on the cmx and the skins unique, open the cmx file with notepad and change the top entry (where it says b200) so it matches your unique 3 digits as well. Then check it sits on just the mesh you want it to sit on.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 11:31 AM
Yeah what ChickieTeeta says is correct, you don't need to do anything to the mesh at all just the cmx and the texture. She says what's in the file basically.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 7:16 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will leave it as it is though. It's good to know that it's Supposed to be that way and not an odd glitch of my computer, or game. But I Did open up the files and look at them in notepad. I'm not really sure how many .cmx's, and .skin files are involved here. As for textures I downloaded Many skins.

If it was Just 1, and I knew exactly which 1, I might be willing to mess with it. But it just doesn't seem worth it. I feel lucky to have it working well with So Many cc items as is!

And I just keep taking a chance everytime I go on another download spree! Also I don't know that I want to get rid of ALL the high heels. I just always thought the barefoot high heel thing, and the double cycle of the clothes both with and without was an odd glitch of my game, and something I downloaded.