Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 9:38 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 25th Nov 2014 at 9:55 PM.
Default Fixing the Simple Wooden Double Door and Simple Glass Double Door

The door on the left claims to be a glass door, the likes of which you would find in gyms and banks, yet doesn't feature any glass in the design. I don't think it ever has but I also don't think it's right because currently it just looks like a slightly retextured version of its wooden counterpart on the right.
The wooden door on the right clearly has a broken wall shadow, I believe similar to the issue Plasticbox fixed on the Return Desklamp. When you zoom out for enough the problem goes away.

I haven't looked into the glass door yet but I've tried looking at the wooden one. I can find the resources for the door but because all of the colours are affected I can't find a working colour to compare against a broken one meaning I don't actually have any idea what resource I should be looking for a fault in or trying to correct.

ETA: I took a look at the "glass" door and going by the texture, it SHOULD be made of glass as there is a lot of slightly blue tinted transparency on there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 10:10 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 25th Nov 2014 at 10:38 PM.
Can't help you with the wooden door issue right now, since I'm on the OS X side with no access to s4pe or game .. does it look like this on the other side (inside/outside) too? If the other side is fine, that might also give you something to compare with. Or that other door perhaps -- in that silly lamp there was one mesh that did not have the "dropshadow" flag set; I figured that out by comparing with some other lamp that did have a proper dropshadow. Also, try looking at this in the MODL/MLOD preview in s4pe, that tells you the names of the meshes. I *think* (but am not 100% sure) the dropshadow flag has a proper label (if you use Ingewrappers, at least). Apart from that the shadow issue should be an easy fix since it's already referencing the correct texture by the looks of it =) .. is probably only in MLOD group 00000000, as well, if it goes away by zooming out.

Re. the glass door, I guess the issue could be that it's using a wrong shader, perhaps? Phong instead of glass, maybe? Should say so right at the beginning of each MATD. Maybe look at some door that actually has glass, to see how that is defined .. could also be the same kind of flag as with the dropshadow issue. (There is a single door too that looks like that, isn't there?)

(The best way I know of to do this comparison stuff, btw, is copy+pasting the text preview of the good/bad MLOD etc into a text editor and running a diff there. For Notepad++ the "Compare" plugin works fine for that purpose.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 11:17 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 26th Nov 2014 at 10:55 PM.
It does appear that the glass door is using the phong shader. There is also a single door version as well, you are right, although it makes no mention of being glass.
The wall shadow thing on the wooden door is broken on both sides and you have to zoom waaaaaaaaaaaay out before it actually goes away so I'm guessing that means it's broken on more than just the 00000000 MLOD.
I'll have to take another look either tomorrow or Thursday when I have more time.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 11:15 PM
I'm making progress on the glass door!

The shader needed is PhongAlpha instead of Phong which it is currently set to in the game files.
Now I need to try and figure out if I can tell it to allow light to pass through and fix the second colour option (brown) which seems to be referencing the first (white) instead.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 11:58 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 1st Dec 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Okay, posting again just to keep a record of my findings.

The single tile version of the glass door allows light into rooms as though it is made of glass. The double door doesn't BUT I got it to do so by replacing its LITE resource with that of the Wide Entry Frame archway.

When used vanilla in the game the second colour option is broken, for me at least, and is just a copy of the first white colour.
When creating overrides for the mesh files, the references for the second texture appear correct but have no effect.
Including the textures in the same package as my mesh overrides and suddenly the second texture works!

Figuring out which shaders should be phong and which should be phongAlpha is a time consuming pain in the ass which I am having to start over with as apparently I was only effecting the white colour option not realising the other colours have their own shaders. (At least that's how it appears to an uneducated modder like myself.)

There also appears to be an issue with the transparency of the door frame which I can't quite get my head around. It shouldn't be transparent and yet the door glass can be seen through one half of the door frame. I'll have to get a picture. Plus, only one of the four door handles looks properly solid once the door panels are made transparent.

I also can't figure out how to stop the door casting a floor shadow. Presumably that would require the editing of mesh files which I know can't currently be done.
Would it perhaps be possible to "replace" the shadow meshes (assuming I can correctly identify them) with those from Wide Entry Frame arch instead? Hmm...

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 4:59 AM
Thanks for the update!

I don't understand what you mean with the part about overrides .. "the references for the second texture appear correct but have no effect. Including the textures in the same package as my mesh overrides and suddenly the second texture works!" -- it wouldn't make a difference which package your texture are in; what do you mean by "appear correct but have no effect"?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 11:14 AM
Sorry, it was late when I typed all of that up. I'll try to explain better now.

Looking at the original MLOD, all of the correct textures appear to be referenced. The brown texture, which doesn't show up for me in regular gameplay, is listed in there along with the other four colours. Each colour is referenced twice. There aren't any extras of one colour or any brown ones missing when compared to the others. This is what I was meaning by saying they "appear correct but have no effect" as the brown colour doesn't show in game.

In order to keep all of the relevant resources together, I extracted all of the textures and imported them into the same file with the MLODs. I basically have a package that is a full clone of the door now. When I ran the game the next time after doing this, the brown colour option showed up on the doors when selected. The only change I had made to any of the files in this package was to replace the LITE resource with that of the Wide Entry Frame arch.

Instructor
#8 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 4:40 AM
I didn't even realize it was supposed to be glass until seeing this and then looking at it in the game....and now I'm really annoyed that it's not. lol
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Dec 2014 at 1:07 AM
Sorry, I kind of lost steam with trying to fix these. There's too much I don't understand and it's getting frustrating when I just have to keep blindly poking at things and hoping for the right result.

I found that the wooden door has more issues with colour options not working than I realised. There is an incorrect reference in all but the first colour that points to the door texture for the shadow instead of the shadow image. I fixed that but it still showed as a large white rectangle surrounding the door. I couldn't figure out what setting to alter for it to actually function as a wall shadow. All of the shaders appeared correct when comparing to a working door.
As for the glass door. Well, once the doors are made transparent, one of them shows through the door frame and I can't figure out if that is because I'm changing a setting I shouldn't be or if EA have just modelled the door in a way that means the shader is applied to the door and frame at the same time. The other door out of the two doesn't share this issue though.