Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 2:30 PM
Default Add bars/clubs/other things to do in vacation worlds?
I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it - is there even any usable space, did they work as normal, etc. I would love to send my sims on normal vacation with other things to do besides adventuring when they roll wishes to go to Al Simhara/Champs Les Sims/Shang Simla.

In theory, I realize this should definitely work in conjunction with Twallan's Traveler mod (which I use) since you can travel to normal worlds with fully functioning bars/clubs/etc with it, but I was just wondering whether it worked in practice with the original WA worlds (as they might be coded differently or something, I've no idea).
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 3:04 PM
I haven't actually tried it, but as a visual impression, all vacation worlds seem to be very sparsely populated. All three have LOTS of empty space. I'd be genuinely surprised if you couldn't squeeze some small pub in there somewhere.

Plus there are the prebuilt vacation homes. You could always tear one down to make room for a club.

Plus, one thing to remember is that some things like the pro bars work on any public lot, even though not always as good. One of the buildings in the marketplace could be conceptually converted to a small pub, even though technically it will still be a part of the larger marketplace lot.
Theorist
#3 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowyDreams
I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it - is there even any usable space, did they work as normal, etc. I would love to send my sims on normal vacation with other things to do besides adventuring when they roll wishes to go to Al Simhara/Champs Les Sims/Shang Simla.

In theory, I realize this should definitely work in conjunction with Twallan's Traveler mod (which I use) since you can travel to normal worlds with fully functioning bars/clubs/etc with it, but I was just wondering whether it worked in practice with the original WA worlds (as they might be coded differently or something, I've no idea).

Yeah, they are not coded that differently. You can build anything on them with Traveler mod. Functioning town halls, nightclubs, everything.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 5:20 PM
I go to edit town from my home world & then choose the vacation world from the icons in the top left corner to change it to suit - I like to add a music stage & bar upstairs to the Catania cafe, some art stuff & computers to the bookstore, a variety of fun items to the town square... (why yes, I do travel to France more ;-) ). Being too lazy to put the cheats in to edit the base camps from edit town, I'll use testing cheats enabled & buy on this lot to make changes to the base camps.

I've used edit town while on holiday, & then found the game thought my Sims lived there, so I always do the edit from home now. I can edit uni while there with no repercussions though. I still try to do the edit before travelling there as then I can upgrade the dorms without it coming out of my Sims' budget.
Scholar
#5 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 10:24 PM
Oh yes, definitely do upgrade the uni town. Personally I just build my own sorority house from the ground up. And down, if I feel like having a wine cellar too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:00 AM
Lol, I don't have UL yet, but I'll keep that in mind when I get it!

Thanks for the answers, everyone! If anybody has more ideas, recs or experiences with what they themselves have done to the vacation worlds, I'd love to hear them.
Scholar
#9 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:30 AM
a spa with the massage table...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm not sure this applies anymore, but back in the older days the NRAAS mods will run vacation worlds NPCs like your homeworld. So I've created a lot of government lots, you know with rabbitholes etc... I think the newer version of the NRAAS story mod changed it back to running it like vacation worlds, so this doesn't apply anymore (that or I'm not tweaking it correctly). However, I still see kids going off to school and people still use the rabbitholes (they're just not employed there anymore).

I was wondering about that, actually - currently I play with Twallan's SP off because I still want some prospective spouses for my adventurer sim, and if SP works as usual in the vacation world, all single sims will be paired off in less than a week But I've thought about doing the same, using rabbithole rugs so they'd fit in better with the world. That should also mean a more realistic population progression too, right? With people pairing up and getting families (provided you play the world long enough to see this happen) à what they normally would with Twallan's SP? (I'm sorry, it's currently 2am and I'm not very clear-headed at the moment, haha)

The resort idea sounds great - I'll have to remember that once I install IP (I'm currently testing through the EPs, one by one). I always thought resorts were player-controlled, though?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 2:49 AM
I suggest adding the following nightspot to Shang Simla:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=546875

Then, to populate the world, create one or two Late Night apartments somewhere. Each LN apartment can house up to eight NPCs. And they don't have to be fully furnished.

And of course, you can use MasterController to add sims; they will then either stay on those apartments, or in the Base Camp.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 4:22 AM
The game can generate massive numbers of townies, especially if you play some kind of rotation and have Register. I've had just short of 300 earlier. And it doesn't seem to even try to spread them around multiple NPC doors, at least as ringing the buzzer is concerned. So, yea, you can end up with some pretty huge lists.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Are you talking about NPC doors? Those things always puzzle me. I realize that worlds without these apts with NPC doors have their NPCs listed as homeless. So I always create at least 1 apt on a world (but I never use the apt lot type, just regular res lot). However, on many occasions... for some reason there would be like 30-50 sims living there! At least that's what shows up when I dial the apartment call box. I'm not sure what that is about.

Also, for anyone thinking about this. Absolutely do NOT make an apt with NPC doors in the Future world. If you do that, the base camp will be empty.

Did you allow > 8 sims per lot?

I think that's the problem...

My guess is that whenever the game 'thinks' it needs an NPC, it will generate one, then looking at lots with NPC doors, find a door where the lot's limit has not been reached yet, then plop that NPC there. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Scholar
#16 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 9:08 AM
Ah. Hmm, that would explain why it dumped everyone in the same house, then.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#17 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:15 PM
I think that's the normal behaviour. I haven't tried this in an unmodded game yet, but I believe that as soon as there's an NPC door in the neighbourhood all homeless and service Sims wil have this as their "address", and if it's only one all of them will show up on that apartment's buzzer. At least I don't think that it's got anything to do with "overstuffed" settings in some mods, because these NPCs aren't really there anyway. It just marks their entry point for when they instantiate in the world, while without any apartments they might go into or return from hibernation on any random lot.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 5:03 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see an answer to my current problem on this topic and hope someone will see this and have a solution... I put a vampire bar in Shang Simla, as I like to play vampires and take over a town. Problem is the bar crashes my game. I have a load of Twallan's stuff installed, Master Controller, Story Progression, Traveler, Register, Overwatch, WooHooer. I have placed bars in Sunset Valley, with no problems, both from community buildings in edit mode and by using a house and changing lot type in edit.
For my bar, I changed the lot type of The Azalea House to "Vampire Bar", added a professional bar, wall speakers and a dance floor. Similar to what I did in Sunset Valley, but the one in Shang Simla crashes the game after playing a short time. Any thoughts?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 5:07 PM
As far as I can tell, vacation worlds behave exactly like regular worlds save for one or two things. So if you want to put a Late Night venue or something like it down, and I have, it'll work as expected.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#21 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
As far as I can tell, vacation worlds behave exactly like regular worlds save for one or two things. So if you want to put a Late Night venue or something like it down, and I have, it'll work as expected.

Of course, that's my problem. It isn't working as expected. I also tried making a bar in an open lot and changing the lot type, but THAT crashed the game. So, I tried using an existing building, and it also is crashing the game. If I simply change the lot type back to residential, the game won't crash. I haven't tried making anything other than a vampire bar in China. Maybe China doesn't like vampires?
Site Helper
#22 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 9:51 PM
Do you have Error Trap and Overwatch?
If they haven't intercepted the problem before the crash, it might be time for the Game Problem FAQ (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._3_Game_Problem)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#23 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 1:11 AM
I've never even needed mods to put different lots down in these places. I can put anything I want...except better stoves in the travel bases.

It sounds like an issue with your specific game then.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#24 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 3:53 AM
The stove problem can be solved by buying one in your homeworld, placing that in your family inventory and then accessing buy mode through testingcheats in the basecamp (shift-click "Build/Buy On This Lot) and placing the stove from the family inventory.