Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 9:17 PM
Default Milkshape help?
I'm not sure if this is the right thread so do please move it if it's not.

Anyway, when I've finished making my cc in marvelous designer and try to import it into milkshape, it just doesn't show up. I've checked the UV coordinates, it's in .obj, i'm using the wavefront obj, etc. My milkshape is registered & so is my md so what is the problem?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 9:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Oct 2016 at 9:54 PM.
Is it not showing up at all, or showing up as a 'borked' mesh with holes in it?

Milkshape can only read triangular faces (and can convert square ones to triangles), so if there are larger faces with 5 or more edges, they won't show, and the mesh will look like it's filled with holes.

You should also check whether the faces are pointing outwards. Milkshape and various other mesh programs only show one side of the faces.

Could also be something wrong happens when you export the mesh to OBJ in the other program. Be sure to check the settings (if there are any).

Sizes won't always convert properly, so if it's a mesh you made from scratch in the other program, it might not seem to show if it's too big or small to fit in the shown grid in Milkshape.

I'm almost sure there's also a face limit in Milkshape. Not sure just how large it is, but on occasion I've been unable to import meshes with too many faces, or if the additional mesh goes over the limit. If that's the case, you should reduce the number of faces. If you reach the limit, you're probably way over what's safe to put ingame anyway. Try not to go above 20 000 faces even if you're making a very detailed mesh, and the smaller the mesh is, the fewer faces it should have. Most EAxis items are below 5000 faces, for all 3 games. The more faces the game has to calculate, the slower the game will play.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Is it not showing up at all, or showing up as a 'borked' mesh with holes in it?

Milkshape can only read triangular faces (and can convert square ones to triangles), so if there are larger faces with 5 or more edges, they won't show, and the mesh will look like it's filled with holes.

You should also check whether the faces are pointing outwards. Milkshape and various other mesh programs only show one side of the faces.

Could also be something wrong happens when you export the mesh to OBJ in the other program. Be sure to check the settings (if there are any).

Sizes won't always convert properly, so if it's a mesh you made from scratch in the other program, it might not seem to show if it's too big or small to fit in the shown grid in Milkshape.

I'm almost sure there's also a face limit in Milkshape. Not sure just how large it is, but on occasion I've been unable to import meshes with too many faces, or if the additional mesh goes over the limit. If that's the case, you should reduce the number of faces. If you reach the limit, you're probably way over what's safe to put ingame anyway. Try not to go above 20 000 faces even if you're making a very detailed mesh, and the smaller the mesh is, the fewer faces it should have. Most EAxis items are below 5000 faces, for all 3 games. The more faces the game has to calculate, the slower the game will play.

I'm not sure about my settings, but the face count is 1027. I have exported it many many times to check if there were errors but it just doesn't show. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my settings but I don't know how to work them :p
and it doesn't show at all.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 6:03 PM
Could you attach the obj so I can have a look at it?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.