Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:13 PM
Default Is it possible to delete ground above a basement?
I plan on building a lot with a big atrium through the center, that also goes underground. But when ever i try to delete the ground cover to reveal the basement, it does not work. I can do it by placing stairs in the way, but i dont want to put stairs there. Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:37 PM
This was very dumb on EA's part, IMO. I guess now we need a "PIT" tool. -_-

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 7:55 AM
I'm suffering for the inability to do this as well. I created a huge mansion with a great entrance hall/stair room (if I do say so myself) but the stairs going underground look really crowded when the floor hugs them. I'm almost certain that I managed to delete ground while trying to make basement stairs in the past, but it was always an accident and I'm afraid they patched it.
Alchemist
#4 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:13 AM
I'm not sure if this idea will work, as I don't have the game open at the moment to test, however could you remove the basement where you want the atrium to be, then lower the ground down [may require CFE] and have it like that?
Just an idea. And, actually, now I think more about it, it probably won't work, however it couldn't hurt to give it a try.
Theorist
#5 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 10:35 AM
There is a way, but it is most bizarre, and rather complicated.
I'll be home at 2.30 uk time and I'll reveal aLL.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 12:07 PM
There is no way to create any kind of building that violates the "layer cake" model. CFE will only allow you to warp the thickness or height of the layers, it does not enable you to create any kind of building where the layers actually physically interpenetrate. Therefore, you can't build anything like, say, a building that is built partially into a hillside such that the exits to the ground floor are on different levels. Although people use many tricks to attempt to fake the appearance, anything which violates the layercake model is impossible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jbriscoe95
I plan on building a lot with a big atrium through the center, that also goes underground. But when ever i try to delete the ground cover to reveal the basement, it does not work. I can do it by placing stairs in the way, but i dont want to put stairs there. Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Is it no longer possible to build basements with the foundation tool, like in TS2?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 2:54 PM
There is a cheat for floor cutout. I have seen lots that use the cheat but have yet to understand the syntax myself...

setfloorcutout or some such... requires coordinates....

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Theorist
#9 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 3:50 PM Last edited by tizerist : 14th Mar 2011 at 4:06 PM.
I 'misundertook' the question I think.

Best way is place stairs below ground, 8 wide if need be, then delete the stairs.

Edit: Ah okay, deleting the stairs deletes the hole.

Well I managed to get the appearance of a hole in the ground, sort of.

Its Inge's glass floors. The visible glass square ruins the effect though.
We need the same type of object, without a visible square then..

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:10 PM
That's doable (the non-glass holemaking rug) but unfortunately you still get a solid ceiling looking up from the basement. The game just can't be made to forget the terrain was meant to be there

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ashillion
There is a cheat for floor cutout. I have seen lots that use the cheat but have yet to understand the syntax myself...

setfloorcutout or some such... requires coordinates....

Have you got any links to these lots? I'm intrigued...

Excuse me, but I just have to explode.
Theorist
#12 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
That's doable (the non-glass holemaking rug) but unfortunately you still get a solid ceiling looking up from the basement. The game just can't be made to forget the terrain was meant to be there

Unfortunately, a nonexistant black ceiling manifests itself anywhere underground, this is why I'm having problems with my underground tube station. It's unsightly no matter what we do, so I think the non-glass holemaking rug would definately serve a purpose, if only to create mineshafts and stuff.

#BlairWitchPetition
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 11:18 PM
You can build an atrium with the foundation tool. I know it's not the basement tool, but it's better than nothing.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 11:19 PM
oddly, No I don't. I will have to search through my old downloads for them. They were mostly from Asian sims sites...

With ambitions

testingcheatsenabled true

setFloorCutout <float> <ID>

I do not understand the Float and ID usage...

I have made ALL the ground of a lot transparent and it shows the weird "blue" of the sims "underworld"
I have yet to get a hang on how to set the area of the cutout. It seems to be like the multi-tile object coordinates used in EA games before.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
You can build an atrium with the foundation tool. I know it's not the basement tool, but it's better than nothing.

Definitely. One bonus is that if the ground underneath the foundation is at wall height, by using the constrainfloorelevation cheat, you can build rooms into the fake 'basement' itself. Underneath that, you can have the ordinary EA basements.

Remember though, a room has to be surrounded on all sides by ordinary wall to show the interior lighting instead of the exterior lighting!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 4:10 AM
I believe the floor cutout refers to the speedypole the firemen use in Ambitions. Looking at the testingcheats help I find:
removeFloorCutout - Usage: removeFloorCutout id
setFloorCutout - Usage[float]: setFloorCutout centerX centerZ sidelength id
Test Subject
#17 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 2:23 AM
I found this out messing around by accident. Place basement. Go to basement and place stairs. Now you have 4 holes, but if you delete stairs the ground reappears. So continue and place a foundation 1 square away from top of stairs on surface ground and place a stair from foundation to beginning of basement stairs to combine one long stairway to bottom of basement. Now delete basement stairs. The little stairs from the foundation will hold the 4 open holes open. Delete little stairs and foundation and you will have 4 open holes. Repeat setup beside or in front of 4 open holes to make any size opening. Mess around and see what you can do. Here are two examples I did.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=1748577

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=3867388
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 6:27 PM
Once you have created the cut-out from the first floor into the basement (using your stair cheat technique), how do you replace some of the floor tiles (if you made the cut-out too big)?

I would use undo but have already saved out the lot and done a lot of work since that last save. So I can't go back to the earlier version without loosing a day of work.
Eminence Grise
#19 Old 4th Oct 2012 at 7:41 AM
Moving to "Building" forum
dodgy builder
#20 Old 4th Oct 2012 at 1:37 PM
I don't remember right now, but what are you trying to do? The floor is still technically there, so it depends on what you want it to look like after. If you can't put down floortiles, you can probably just fake the effect of floor there?
Forum Resident
#21 Old 4th Oct 2012 at 6:38 PM
Try placing some columns.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 5:28 AM
I did the stair cheat quite awhile ago. After placing a set of stairs to form a cutaway, I'd attach another single run of stairs to the top of the sunken one to hold the cutaway and then delete the sunken span. Once the cutaway was formed it was permanent and couldn't be covered with floor tiles again. I did overhang rugs 1 tile in on the cutouts, which was enough to solve my particular problems.

Also, there is a mod that could possibly help...not sure since I never tried the two in tandem:

http://www.modthesims.info/d/428179

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
dodgy builder
#23 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 10:37 AM
Using the omsp from the basement? If you're gonna download it then, the downloader needs it too. Since the floor is still there, just invisible, I would just fake it. Like you did with the rug. There might be some green objects or fences downloadable, like the one that's suppose to cover up a gap if you want the foundation to go higher. It may just have a standard height though, I don't know.

If you wanna use the omsp on the top floor, you still have to cover it with something.
mature minion
retired moderator
#24 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Laterus
Once you have created the cut-out from the first floor into the basement (using your stair cheat technique), how do you replace some of the floor tiles (if you made the cut-out too big)?

I would use undo but have already saved out the lot and done a lot of work since that last save. So I can't go back to the earlier version without loosing a day of work.

Its quite easy once you know how. Go to the pool tool (bear with me, I know it sounds silly) and select the pool tool, hold ctrl and "delete" the area where you want to restore the normal ground. When you release the click it will revert the ground to being visible, be careful though, in the same way as you created it just pressing undo will NOT reverse this process
dodgy builder
#25 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 9:17 AM
There was the answer.

Congrats on being a moderator Tee
Page 1 of 2