Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 11:23 AM
Default Minor but weird road issue
This isn't really a major issue, but it's been bothering me since I played Sims 1 for the first time.

Whenever I have been in neighborhood view, the roads look completely black and bland like this:

Yet for others, the roads seem to look like this.

It's not a big deal, but I think the latter version looks much better. Anyone else got this problem/issue/bug?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 4:35 PM
You're in the wrong neighbourhood - you need to be in neighbourhood 1 to see the lots built up like that,

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 4:41 PM
Uh, what? I don't think I talked about lots. Compare the two pictures together and tell me what's different, other than the lots.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 4:47 PM Last edited by maxon : 6th Oct 2012 at 5:05 PM.
Oh sorry - you did say roads. The neighbourhood screen is just a bitmap - if your's is not the same as others, I'd guess at a graphical issue. Seems a bit wild though since the game is so old. But really, the screens are just a picture, they're not rendered or anything.

Edit:
I thought you might be interested to compare these. The first image is a screenie of the files in my Sims 1 folders - you can see the main neighbourhood screen and the other pink screens are the ones that create the water animation. What the game does is string these together something like a gif.

The second image is, in fact, that neighbourhood bmp in the first screen. If you look at it closely, you can see that it appears to be intermediate between what you have and the neighbourhood 1 picture you posted. It makes me think that the pavement detail and so on is, in fact, rendered after the fact.

Hmmmm. It's ages since I problem-solved TS1 issues. I used to change my neighbourhood screens regularly - to get seasons in the game. TS2 Seasons made that so much easier.
Anyway, did you look at neighbourhood 1? Is it the same?
Also, you could try looking at these files in your own game and see what they look like. If they're like mine, then something is happening between the game files and your computer's rendition of them and it's probably not a game glitch. I've forgotten exactly where they are but my stored folders are called: Neighborhood Screens/Community - try looking for that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Scholar
#5 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 6:13 PM
But what else, in Poleters picture, why is the road that goes through the trees on the left curvy, and in the others its not? Ive never seen the neighborhood mapped out like that, the curvy road, the bend on the bottom right near the "sims" sign, or the lack of the split road with trees. This is the first time ive seen the hood look like that. When I had complete collection in, I slipped through 4 or 5 hoods, and the only difference was the houses. Why is his different?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 6:21 PM
As I said, I think the thing to do it go and look at the actual file in the game folder. It might be because it's the Deluxe collection. The point I was trying to make is that it is ONLY A PICTURE.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 8:30 PM
Every neighborhood looks the same, no difference between roads and such.

It would be nice if anyone bothered to dig up their neighborhood.bmp that looks like this:
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 7:29 PM
It is because of the difference of U.S and the U.K (Europe) version. Same with the music (There is music folder called Nhood and Nhood US for examples)

Some of the houses also changes their exterior if you have different compilationspack (Deluxe edition, Double edition, Triple edition, Complete Collection etc.)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 8:52 PM
Are you, by any chance, latin? I'm brazilian, and in here The Sims 1 neighborhoods always had dark roads like those, as well as different background music (it plays the latin station instead of the default one)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 9:05 PM
That is so weird how it changes like that. I have the Complete Collection and it's the American one.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#11 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 3:01 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 14th Oct 2012 at 3:13 PM.
I'm in the UK, and have the original ep's etc installed (not any of the collections), and my roads are dark.
Being regional doesn't explain why the markings on the OP's roads are missing or why it bends the way it does going through the trees on the left hand side, or why the trees down the center of the road are gone, or why it curves at the exit from the original hood...unless they've put a mod in.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
...unless they've put a mod in.

No - as I said upthread, it's just a picture. I imagine it's just the version of TS1 they have. They could resolve that if they went and had a look at it (as I also suggested upthread).

Scholar
#13 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
No - as I said upthread, it's just a picture. I imagine it's just the version of TS1 they have. They could resolve that if they went and had a look at it (as I also suggested upthread).

I didn't disagree with anything you said. I never altered my TS1 screens ever, I don't even have access to the bmp's, so I'm sure you know way more about it than I do.
What I meant was perhaps the OP has downloaded an altered neighborhood bmp, which would be, in agreement with your post, just a picture.
I don't know how you install them though, so I don't know if it's even possible to install a modified bmp and not be aware you've changed it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:45 PM
I didn't disagree with anything you said. I never altered my TS1 screens ever, I don't even have access to the bmp's, so I'm sure you know way more about it than I do.
What I meant was perhaps the OP has downloaded an altered neighborhood bmp, which would be, in agreement with your post, just a picture.
I don't know how you install them though, so I don't know if it's even possible to install a modified bmp and not be aware you've changed it.

Sorry - I hope I didn't sound irritated because I wasn't. It would be hard to not know about it since you replace one bmp file with another. That's hardly a mod just a simple exchange. I don't have TS1 installed anymore so I can't check the exact location of the file but it's in the same sort of location as the other custom files but is stored under 'Neighbourhood' I think. I remember it as being fairly easy to find though.

Scholar
#15 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Sorry - I hope I didn't sound irritated because I wasn't. It would be hard to not know about it since you replace one bmp file with another. That's hardly a mod just a simple exchange. I don't have TS1 installed anymore so I can't check the exact location of the file but it's in the same sort of location as the other custom files but is stored under 'Neighbourhood' I think. I remember it as being fairly easy to find though.

Ah, no, it's me, that time of the month, everything I read is being narrated to me by the irate voice in my head lol. I normally manage to ignore it, I'm sorry.

Mod is short for modification, which an altered bmp is. I realize in the sims community a mod normally refers to a hack though. It wasn't what I meant.

I looked through every single folder after your first post, thinking that was interesting, but I have nothing. I wondered if it might be in a far file or something. I don't see anything marked neighborhood either. Was it maybe a folder you had to create yourself and alterations would be read from there?

I suppose it could be done accidentally if you followed install instructions without knowing what the different files were being used for.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 12:19 AM
I looked through every single folder after your first post, thinking that was interesting, but I have nothing. I wondered if it might be in a far file or something. I don't see anything marked neighborhood either. Was it maybe a folder you had to create yourself and alterations would be read from there?

I suppose it could be done accidentally if you followed install instructions without knowing what the different files were being used for.

OK - I'll see if I can find more info. I don't think it is something you could do accidentally. For one thing, it's (or was) a fairly unusual thing to do. Most players didn't do it. I did it because I was obsessed with getting some seasonal change into the game, especially after Inge came out with the seasonal objects (for which I made a good number of objects).

Test Subject
#17 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 6:58 AM
Oh! I see. You might as well fix it or check your neighbors. You might be lost.