Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 12:48 AM
I would like something about this added to lot uploading rules such as "No uploading lots from a game infected with the Super Duper Hug" With an explantion of what it is and how to get around this with AGS. While it isn't gut-wrenching for just a player, it can be for a lot uploader. Not everyone can use AGS and for a lot uploader it could mean a full re-install. BO said you couldn't even keep the lots or hoods.

Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
The surfing mod here on MTS definitely creates a custom NPC -- the creator says so explicitly in the description.

Esme, did we test the surfing mod? Because yes I did/do have that one in my main game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:32 AM
We did not test the surfing mod, no. But NPCs are game breaking for reasons other than the Hug, aren't they?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:50 AM
Yes, if you remove them they are, due to the game not finding their character reference any longer. Mootilda did say if you put them back that it should be okay with the NPC's.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 8:00 PM Last edited by gazania : 11th Jul 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Gardeviola
Something about the Hug Bug needs to be stickied.

Perhaps Hug Bug threads could be merged as well. The other thread is much more detailed and complete.

Going back to the original thread, there might be a possibility of getting around a re-install if I replaced the objects file, which is a valid alternative way of dealing with game corruption. I would also do an across-the-board reset after pulling out that lot (all hoods reset/deleted ... no exceptions) and go back to that old backup lot file as well. That is STILL a hassle, though. Not too many people are keen on resetting all their hoods at the same time and getting rid of several user-made lots (no saving those). That includes me.

Or simply create a lot on my test machine, which did not have that lot on it. Or install AGS. Or perhaps rename my Sims 2 folder, start up a vanilla game, move content over, package, move the package elsewhere. get rid of the vanilla game. I'd also have to move content over, though, if I used the test machine. Hopefully, this nuisance doesn't invade Downloads folders.

There are alternatives. It's not horrible. Just annoying. I'm 99.999% sure the creator of that lot never intended to cause any trouble. She worked hard on it and the layout , appearance and routing are superb.

I plan to leave the lot in there until I do an across-the-board-reset, just in case that NPC remnant causes any mischief. That's as much of a concern to me as the bug. It makes me shudder to think I might have stumbled upon another possible NPC-related means of hood corruption, Really. Someone else can take over this job!

Removing this bug would be really difficult, I would think. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somehow, someone comes out with a "Bug Detector" that you can use before downloading a lot, and that can flag any potential Hug Bug problems before you put the lot in-game. That would at least contain the spread.

Theoretically, you can do this with Sim PE already, I guess. Just put it the lot-only file somewhere outside the game before installing it, use Sim PE to take a look, and for Pete's sake, if you see a known problem mod in there and your game is clean, don't put that lot in there, no matter how pretty it is!

It might be a start to come up with a list of potential-problem social mods for aspiring uploaders, with the instructions that if this mod is in your game and you want to upload a lot in the future (some people don't ever intend to do so), make the lot in a clean game. Just take the correct precautions, and let people know what you did. So far, apparently, we know of two mods that can possibly cause this bug to surface.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 2 of 2