Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 12:03 AM
Default Turn Tomato Pests Into Food?
I just found out that tomato hornworms are edible. Yup. Let 'em starve for a couple days, then fry them. They taste like tomatoes, from what I read. Not surprising though. But anyway, it'd be kinda neat if a sim with some enthusiasm in Nature or maybe even Cuisine as well would get some tomato hornworms while tending tomato plants that are infested with pests. It would deal not only with the weeds, but also pests, and make the tomatoes healthy - no pesticide required.

Then the sim can then take the hornworms and cook them on the stove, and then serve a sparkling meal of fried green hornworms. Yum! Here's the recipe: http://www.vegetablegardener.com/it...omato-hornworms

It'd work like one of the fish dishes - always sparkling if done right.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 12:27 AM
Umm yuck? *leaves feeling green*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 12:43 AM
Good one! But if you ever try cooking tomato worms, don't cook them too long or too hot - it'll make them burst. With flavor that is XD
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 1:20 AM
After this reading I don't feel hungry anymore. Thanks, JDacapo, for keeping me fit.
Link Ninja
#5 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 1:21 AM
Oh man I am so glad I saw this right after I ate and not during.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 2:54 AM
I mean, most if not all insects are edible. I doubt these are special.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 3:46 AM
I think in some cases I have an iron stomach. The idea of eating a caterpillar does not disgust me for some odd reason. Then again, I did eat raw grasshoppers before.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:34 AM
Why am I here again? *Eyelid twitch*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Why am I here again? *Eyelid twitch*

Because you're lonely?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 1:20 PM
This could also be simulated by making the hornworms cloned from the roaches. When a tomato plant is on the lot, it has a small chance to spawn the hornworms nearby. Sims would be able to click on it to collect the hornworms, which adds a basket of them to the inventory to stock the fridge with.

On the topic of unusual and slightly disgusting uses for pests, supposedly ingesting helminths (whipworms) can help manage Crohn's disease, and maggots are sometimes used to remove necrotic tissue from wounds.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#11 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 3:27 PM
Hornworms are one of the more disgusting creatures I have seen. Yes, they may be fat and juicy, but NOT in a good way.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 4:10 PM
Well I'm vegetarian so I don't ear insects -- at least not intentionally. Though I've probably eaten quite a few unintentionally, especially when riding my bike.

This thread makes me kind of glad that I haven't got Seasons! I don't think I'll even mention it to my Sims. Just hearing about it might be enough to make them all feel sick.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:27 PM
I ate spiced crickets once, at London's Science Museum. They were delicious, 10/10 would eat bugs again. I don't think we get tomato hornworms here in the UK though, so @JDacapo's recipe is of little use to me
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cakeninja
I ate spiced crickets once, at London's Science Museum. They were delicious, 10/10 would eat bugs again. I don't think we get tomato hornworms here in the UK though, so @JDacapo's recipe is of little use to me

I see. And spiced crickets sounds yummy! There's also a recipe for chirpy chip cookies, a rather interesting take on the usual chocolate chip cookies. Maybe that could be another recipe for sims. Hunt bugs and then use the crickets you found to make chirpy chip cookies!