Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 3:32 PM
Default Sims 3 new install
Hello all.

I just recently got a powerful new desktop to replace my 5yo laptop. I've installed Sims 3 and most of the expansions on it now, but I haven't played or modded Sims in a while due to the slowness of the laptop, so I'm a bit out of touch. My question is if there's a better and faster way to install all the store stuff and CC I've collected over the years. The launcher takes FOREVER and I have a lot of stuff to install (around 10GBs worth). Previously, I used a program (forgot the name) to install my CC .package files on the old laptop, but I don't know if it will work with .sims3packs. So is there a way to organize or merge everything and install it some other way than with the launcher? I really want to do this right from the start, because my previous install was a mess and it was so hard to keep track of everything. The game is installed on an SSD, if that makes a difference.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 3:55 PM
You can use SimPack Extracter to extract the package files inside Sims3Packs. Store content must be compressed and/or decrapped first to extract packages. Keep in mind this process will break modular objects like counters. The only way to get counters to work is to install them using the Launcher. There are some patterns that must be installed through the Launcher as well.
My suggestion is that you MERGE package files into larger ones (of up to 0,99 GB) with S3PE (just create a new file or open an existing one, drag and drop, don't save after each file or it'll take forever). Don't use "[]" or any other weird symbols to name your packages, only "-" "_" and letters and numbers.
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 5:36 PM
The Launcher (as the game) is a 32-bit program, it has its limits, and it has never been particulary well working anyway.

There's CC Magic for managing Custom Content in large amount. For the Launcher case: install sims3packs in small batches and keep the folder (Downloads) clean - I mean: do not keep there a large amount of files. At some point you shall hit the wall hard anyway.

@Nauss Alien wrote above 'bout other ways.

You can also install worlds (normally installable only by Launcher) by unpacking them and placing the Worldname.world file in
[patch to Sims3 installation folder]\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Alchemist
#4 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
You can use SimPack Extracter to extract the package files inside Sims3Packs. Store content must be compressed and/or decrapped first to extract packages. Keep in mind this process will break modular objects like counters. The only way to get counters to work is to install them using the Launcher.

Just tested this, and converting counters to packages fortunately only breaks the textures/recolorability, not the modular properties.
To get the CASt ability back, I followed this tutorial, which works like a charm!

"Cannot Change Style" Glitch: A Solution"

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Inventor
#5 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Just tested this, and converting counters to packages fortunately only breaks the textures/recolorability, not the modular properties.
To get the CASt ability back, I followed this tutorial, which works like a charm!

"Cannot Change Style" Glitch: A Solution"

Still is a pain in your behind if you have to go through three menus everytime a counter becomes non-CASTable.