Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2019 at 5:46 PM
Default New laptop - what can I do to reduce the graphic flickering?
So after I accidentally spilled hot cocoa on my AMD laptop, I've to get a new one and installed the sims 2.

Everything works file, except that the game is flickering every-time I move the cursor around and smooth edges are disabled,which made me lose interests in playing the game because it's annoying. The graphic quality otherwise is doable. I tried to look for different options and patches, but nothing seems to fix it. This is my laptop specs:

Acer Aspir 3 - A315-53-36HC
Windows 10 Home, 64bit processor
Intel@ Core i3-7020U CPU
2,3 Ghz
3MB L3 Cache
Intel @ HD Graphics
8GB DDR4 Memory
256 GB SSD Hard-drive
(Enough specs details?)

All Games are installed (Double Deluxe), No-CD version

I bought the highest Intel Core I could buy that had 8GB+ ram and chooses this one over a AMD because of the hard-drive is double as big and I couldn't even have backups in my previous one due to lack of place. The funny thing is that this laptop start the game ALOT faster and other programs, but it's bit wonky with graphics. I'm not good whats specs are required, so hats why I asking on help. I tried Graphic Ruler, 4GB patch (didn't work) and put everything that didnt bother me on low settings (the only thing that's important to me is texture details and switching lot from an existing one). Everything else is at low.

Does the specs of this laptops seems too weak for the Sims 2 graphics or can I do anything else?
The only thing I can't is buying more graphic cards - This laptop was already outside of my budget!

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Mar 2019 at 8:14 PM
it's not "weak", it's more than "enough" (far far than "more") to comfortable handle the game in normal conditions.

You may have rather driver/settings problem. Check, please, mouse/display drivers settings - try to enable/disable Vertical Synchronisation in the Intel Iris (or however this is called in Windows) settings, and check if the mouse/trackpad has enabled "aiding" or some weird precision/gesture settings. Try also running the game in the windowed mode, just for the science.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Mar 2019 at 9:57 PM
Hello there! I've had the same problem, and this tutorial right here by TS wikia worked on fixing it, however it's on Portuguese only. Lemme quickly translate it for you.

The first step is checking your graphic configurations, but since you said smooth edges is disabled, we can skip that.

Now, you've gotta find a file. Enter your installed game file folder on your computer, its usual directory is C:/Program files (86x)/Origin Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Fun with Pets/SP9/TSData/Res/Config.
In case during your installation the Origin Games folder is located on another directory or local disk, find it and manually reach for the folders /The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Fun with Pets/SP9/TSData/Res/Config.
Open the file GraphicRules.sgr with the Notepad. Check if it's not marked as "Read only" (open file Properties by clicking with the right mouse button and uncheck this option in case it is).
Make a backup of this file in case you mess up and need to start from scratch! Copy the GraphicRules.sgr file before you modify it and paste it somewhere safe for easy access.

Now you have the file open with your Notepad, we can move on to two different methods to fix the flickering issue:

Method 1
Press CTRL + F, a search window will pop up inside the file. Look for enumerateMultisampleLevels and click OK.
Search all lines of coding on where it says "enumerateMultisampleLevels false" and change it to enumerateMultisampleLevels true. Modify the lines that end in "false" only, DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ELSE!
Save the file.
Load your game, and in the Options menu, enter the Graphics section and then "Performance Options". Smooth edges should be unlocked now, change it to "more" and click OK.

If this alone doesn't fix your game, proceed to method 2.

Method 2
Upon opening the GraphicRules.sgr file, you'll find a hashtag (#) line with the word "Constants" under it. It should look like this:
#############################################################################
#
# Constants
#

seti Off 0
seti On 1

seti Low 1
seti Medium 2
seti High 3

seti MediumButDefaultLow 4

seti memoryLevelHigh 512
seti memoryLevelMedium 384
seti memoryLevelLow 256
seti memoryLevelUnknown 0

Change the first lines of coding with the following (DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING BUT THE LINES BETWEEN "seti Off" AND "seti cpuLevelUnsuported", I've highlighted them for you):
seti Off 0
seti On 1

seti Low 3
seti Medium 3
seti High 3

seti MediumButDefaultLow 3

seti memoryLevelHigh 512
seti memoryLevelMedium 512
seti memoryLevelLow 512
seti memoryLevelUnknown 512

seti cpuLevelHigh 2800
seti cpuLevelMedium 2800
seti cpuLevelLow 2800
seti cpuLevelUnsupported 2800

Save your file and reload your game.

Hope this helps! For some reason the english wikia doesn't have this tutorial, so I could find it on my mother language when having the issue and it saved me. I had to do both steps to fix mine, but please check if yours is fixed with only the first one before proceeding to doing the second one.
The only downer is that you'll need to keep smooth edges on more constantly for the flickering not to happen, and you can't record videos with smooth edges enabled. When I wanna record anything I just set it to less, record what I want, and then set it to more again with no trouble, though.