Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 11:14 AM
Default Need Help Converting TS3 to TS4
I really am at my peak of frustration trying to convert a S3 hat to S4. S4S is way too confusing, but CAS Tools keeps crashing. Then, there are no new conversion tutorial using the updated CAS Tools.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:44 PM
Which version of CASTools do you have there, is that a current one? If so you should report your crashing issue in the download thread.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 8:38 PM
If you're trying to open a TS3 package in CAS Tools, that may be causing your crashing.

Off the top of my head, you can try:

Open the TS3 package with S3PE and export the TS3 geom hat mesh.
In CAS Tools, use the Mesh Tools tab to convert the TS3 geom to TS4 geom. Do NOT select a reference mesh.
Still in CAS Tools, clone a game hat. Open that clone package in the clone editor tab.
In Mesh Manager, import the TS4 mesh you created above.

If that went okay, you can export the mesh as an MS3D Milkshape mesh and use Milkshape to check bone assignments etc. I seem to remember TS4 uses __headnew while TS3 uses __head, or the other way around, or something. Or not. I'm not at my modding computer but can check later. You'll have to adjust the UV map to locate it in the TS4-standard hat area of the texture. Also since TS3 hat hairs include the hair you'll have to modify the mesh unless you're converting an accessory hat. And of course you'll have to modify the texture by copying the TS3 hat image into the correct location in the TS4 texture image.

If you need more details I'll be happy to work with you.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4