Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 9:56 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Oct 2014 at 4:13 PM.
Default Help needed - test packages for random crashing problem - new packages 10/12/14
If you're one of the people whose game crashes when using custom hats, hairs, and maybe other clones, please test this package. It's another clone of the PartyVelvet hat, this time with 'Mesh Links' printed around the brim. Please try it out in CAS and if it works, in the game, and either way let me know. Thanks!

10/2/14: Added a cloned hat that uses the Oct. 1 patch format just in case EA fixed this. Only test this if your game is patched up to date!!! The hat has 'Patch' on the brim.

10/10/14: Uploaded a clone of the hat done completely manually, using s4pe. Trying to resolve whether this is a problem with the cloned resources or with the fact that it's a clone. This hat has 's4pe' on the brim.

10/10/14 additional: Added PartyVelvetMoreTestHats.zip, four more packages based on the manual clone, with different resources replaced with cloned files from my tool plus one with only numbering changed. Wasted a lot of time on accidentally discovering the game seems to ignore the group ID of CASPs. All these packages can be loaded at the same time. Testing appreciated!

10/11/14: There was a mistake in the Geom2 package I uploaded yesterday. Fixed version added.

10/12/14: Uploaded a new set of test packages, this time duplicating original bone assignments. Please remove any previous test packages before installing.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  PartyVelvetHatBoneTestPackages.zip (667.4 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:24 PM
Hey Cmar! Just tested it.
- Put it on first, switched to another hat, seems ok. Switched back to your hat crashed CAS.
- Putting it on too quickly (before the thumbnail loads) crashed immediately.

Also I went into a household, testingcheats > modify in cas.
- Put it on first, didn't switch hats, seemed ok, but crashed midload into game.
In my previous crashing instances if I was able to get through CAS without crashing I was able to load into the game with it equipped.

Windows 7 x64 / Intel HD3000
Digital Standard (but upgraded to Deluxe)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 12:34 AM
Thanks! Maybe this fix makes no difference, maybe not. Hopefully more people will test.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 9:18 AM
The new hat still crashes in the same way as ever for me (after toggling the hat on and off in CAS).

The normal/specular map stuff in the new version works great though! Excellent work.
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 10:03 AM
I tested it, but crashes in CAS
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 10:56 AM
Interesting. This time I tried it on all 3 of my PCs:

On both an older laptop and an older PC (both 2009 vintage) with Windows Vista 32-bit, running as admin on both, the hat worked fine for me in CAS (including switching back and forth between hats) and in-game. The old laptop has Intel 4500MHD graphics and the PC has nVidia 9500GT card.

However, on my new laptop with Windows 8.1, running as admin, with Intel HD4000 graphics, the hat crashed CAS as soon as I applied it. So I didn't get as far as trying it in-game!

Strange how different systems have such different reactions!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 11:00 AM
Still looks like a mostly Windows 8.1 problem. Yes, very strange the OS would affect the game like this!

Back to the drawing board.

Inventor
#8 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 6:04 PM
I have Windows 7 64-bit and an AMD Radeon HD 7700 card, and the hat worked perfectly fine in CAS and in-game
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:16 AM
I have Windows 7 64-bit and Intel(R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T6600 @2.20GHz 2.2 GHz, RAM 4.00 GB... but crashes in CAS and game...
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:28 AM
Our first Windows 7 crash report! Interesting.

Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:40 PM
I have windows 8.1 64 bit and I have not experience any crashes yet with your test package.

using sli 780 ti and i7 4930k processor.
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Our first Windows 7 crash report! Interesting.

Windows 7 Ultimate... Sorry
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:41 AM
I posted hair few days ago and some people got crash with it too as CmarNyc. On windows 8 mostly but some people have it normal with W8. Few have W7 and got crashes too. Also 3 of them said me that it crashes when the try to select other color but first is ok. o didn't ask others about it. also need to say that seems like s4pe removed mipmaps from textures.
tried make hair with MTS's CasTool 5.0(for cloning and convert meshes)+s4pe(for shader,uploading meshes and change shadow map to 0)+magic for getting recolors.
second try was with Studio(uploading meshes,recolors)+s4pe for shader and shadow map. so don't understand what can it be. we tried to unclick vertical synchronisation , postprocessing but it crashes again and again. also tried to check what version Deluxe or Limited they ...but they have both and seems like it is not reason.
As example my settings are Windows 7 64bit amd radeon 7470m 1gb, 4gb ram, directx 11 shader 5.0 pentium b970 2,3 ghz and works good for me on very high and middle.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 11:17 AM
Yes, so far even EA doesn't seem to have an answer. Just have to keep trying.

Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:09 PM
will wait for answer from EA. hope they will answer. so as i understand it is not problem of shader or shadow key...because it is work normally on a lot of PC but crash in somes.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:42 PM
And afaik only crashes with hats and hairs, just to make it more mysterious!

Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 12:16 PM
I downloaded the patched one. It still crashes
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 10:28 PM Last edited by Elitta : 4th Oct 2014 at 4:39 PM.
Cmar,did you modify anything in s4pe after cloning? because i saw that hairs made by Jsboutique does not crash for people who has crashes with my and Msfortunesims's hairs
P.S. You modified texture.Try to make clone withgout modifying anything in s4pe. Because s4pe can get something wrong to dds.
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:51 PM
It does not cause me problems :3
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#20 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 8:01 PM
Could someone that's had the hat crashing problems test this for me, and tell me if it works in their CAS and game? Thanks...
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Snaitf_Adult_Yoda_Mask.zip (672.0 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 10:48 AM
Works fine for me:

#22 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MyreMylar
Works fine for me

Cool, thanks. I didn't think there would be any problems, because I didn't change the number of vertices or faces, just moved and scaled, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for checking.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 5:35 PM
Did you use CASTools?
#24 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MyreMylar
Did you use CASTools?

Yea, I had to, as S4Studio doesn't look in the delta builds yet.

What I did:

Used CASTools to clone the hat.
Used CASTools to export LOD0 as a Sims 3 mesh.
Scaled/moved in Milkshape (did not alter number of vertices or faces).
Used CASTools to import LOD0, and saved package.
Opened package in S4PE, edited CASP file to adjust ageGender and propertyID flags.
*Tested in game, looked fine up close (after several repeats of editing and importing to get it just right), but zoomed out it started using LODs 1-3, which I hadn't edited yet.
Opend package in S4Studio.
Exported LOD0.
Imported as LODs 1-3 and saved.
Opened package in S4PE and added my personal icon.
*Tested again, everything went well.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 9:32 PM
Interesting. I'll fiddle with cloning this mask at the weekend, maybe something changed with the patch or it's something specific to the yoda mask versus regular hats.
Page 1 of 3