Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 1:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Staircase not sitting properly against wall
Hi there,

I frequently use the base game 'Upwardly Mobile' staircase in my houses but it never sits flush against the wall - it always overlaps a little over the wall (visible when you play in interior walls down mode). The stairs function fine but visually, it's a bit annoying.

I've tried searching online for the same issue but couldn't find it. Does anyone know the cause of this and if there is a fix?

Thank you!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 1:32 PM
Could you perhaps show a picture of what you mean?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Could you perhaps show a picture of what you mean?

Yes, of course (and my apologies, it's not Upwardly Mobile but I can't remember the actual name!)
Screenshots
Alchemist
#4 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:14 PM
looks normal to me.
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:38 PM
Yeah, that's normal. Pretty sure staircases overlap the wall a little so that if the staircase is against a wall, the wall will "eat" the railing rather than having railing up against the wall, which would look silly. Of course, you can turn the railings on and off, so I've never understood why it does that...except that maybe the ability to turn railings on and off was added later, in an EP? I really don't know.

In any case, I've never seen a fix for this. If the mesh was repositioned slightly -- which would be how you'd fix it, I would think -- I have a feeling there might be a gap between the edges of the stairs and the wall because I don't think repositioning can be really fine-tuned. A gap would be more annoying, to me. You CAN turn off the railings, if the one in the wall annoys you.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:48 PM
Staircases, along with counters and other objects, eat into the wall a bit on purpose. This is so if you place them in the middle of the room with two side by side, they would be flush with each other.
Alchemist
#7 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:53 PM
in stair section of Build Mode, there is a rail tool. holding Ctrl and clicking on either side of stair would remove that side's rail. normal clicking would place rail.
I have not encountered an option to turn off rails.
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
in stair section of Build Mode, there is a rail tool. holding Ctrl and clicking on either side of stair would remove that side's rail. normal clicking would place rail.
I have not encountered an option to turn off rails.

That's I what I meant by "turning them off." You can "turn off" one rail or the other or both or keep both "on" or whatever you want. I guess technically it's "deleting" or "replacing" the rail, but I think of it as turning them on and off, like a light switch.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 10:36 AM
Ahh thank you for your replies everyone. I didn't realise it was normal. When you say you can turn railings on and off, do you mean that's possible on staircases? I knew you could do that for modular stairs but didn't realise it was possible for staircases.

I actually tried to place modular stairs in my house instead of the staircase, but it would't let me place (like it didn't reach from top to bottom or something! :S) so I gave up and used a staircase.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 11:50 AM
You probably needed 'move objects on' to place the modular stairs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 3:58 PM
Remember modular stairs need four empty spaces above them, too, while the fixed stairs only need three.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emj192
Ahh thank you for your replies everyone. I didn't realise it was normal. When you say you can turn railings on and off, do you mean that's possible on staircases? I knew you could do that for modular stairs but didn't realise it was possible for staircases.

Yep, you can. You do it the same way you do it with modular stairs.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 8:08 PM
But not all of the staircases- for example, the sweeping success staircase that came with M&G has non-removable rails because sims can slide down the bannister.
Alchemist
#14 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Remember modular stairs need four empty spaces above them, too, while the fixed stairs only need three.
actually the number of required empty squares for a modular stair corresponds to the length of the stair. foundation/deck/stage height, 1 square; foundation/deck+stage, 2 squares; regular wall (or normal column), 4 squares; double-floor column, 8 squares; triple-floor column, 12 squares.