Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 6:40 PM
Default Lawrence killer's "human rights"
Circling the news in England for a few weeks. Seems the EU rules are rubbing the people of England the wrong way regarding this killer.

The story;

Quote:
The man who knifed head teacher Philip Lawrence to death has been allowed to stay in the UK after winning an appeal against deportation.

Learco Chindamo, 26, is serving a life sentence for killing Mr Lawrence outside his London school in 1995.

Chindamo's lawyers argued that deporting him to Italy, where he was born, would breach his human rights.

(...)

Chindamo, who was jailed for life in 1996 with a minimum 12-year term, could be released early next year if the Parole Board decides it is safe to do so.

Chindamo was told the news at the weekend and was said to be "pleased" because his "family and life were in the UK".

(...)

Chindamo came to the UK when he was six. His father is Italian, his mother is from the Philippines and he has an Italian passport.

He was 15 years old when he stabbed Mr Lawrence as the teacher defended a pupil outside St George's Roman Catholic comprehensive school.

'Reformed' character

Chindamo's lawyers said the Home Office wanted him returned to Italy when he was freed from prison.

But they successfully argued the move would have been illegal as Chindamo was from a European Union country and had already lived in the UK for 10 years by 1995.

A spokeswoman for the Home Office said: "We believe that foreign prisoners who have committed serious crimes should face automatic deportation from the UK at the end of their sentence."

(...)

Shadow Home Secretary David Davis added: "It is a stark demonstration of the clumsy incompetence of this Government's human rights legislation that we are unable to send a proven killer back to his own country, especially when that country is in the EU."

Full artical.

So there we have it. He committed the crime when he was 15, after living in the UK for only 9 years and convicted of the crime. But because he was held in prison for 12 additional years, he now has the pleasure of fighting extradition back to Italy because of his "Human Rights" under EU regulations.

So the debate I toss out to you is this. Come next year when he is eligible for parole. Should he be deported for his crime? Or were the courts fair when they said he shouldn't be deported?

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 6:54 PM
I think he should be. The fact missing from that article is that Chindamo has been described by the Home Office as a “continuing risk to the public”. If he wanted to have a life here in the UK, maybe he shouldn't have killed an unarmed man who was only defending one of his students.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/t...icle2303120.ece

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
I think he should be. The fact missing from that article is that Chindamo has been described by the Home Office as a “continuing risk to the public”. If he wanted to have a life here in the UK, maybe he shouldn't have killed an unarmed man who was only defending one of his students.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/t...icle2303120.ece

Few other things I've read regarding Learco Chindamo is part of his fight regarding deportation is the claim that he doesn't speak Italian. Thus he has no chance of building a stable and legitimate career for himself. And as such, it isn't fair to deport him.

But the 12 years behind bars he learned how to read, passing four GCSEs, and mentored youths from gangs. Sorry, if he can do all that, then he can learn Italian. Send his arse back to where he came from.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 7:33 PM
Plus, it's also safer for him if he's deported. Over here, there was a public outcry both when it happened and now. He wouldn't get a normal life even if he did stay in this country! At least in Italy he wouldn't be so well known.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
#5 Old 29th Aug 2007 at 9:13 AM
how much different is a 15 year old and a 13 year old i am wandering. comparing the case of butt slapping to this chest stabbing, white 13 year old boy slapping girls on the butt = horseplay.

a not very bright (Two psychiatrists found his performance in tests would have been bettered by 99 per cent of the population.) 15 year old half phillippine half italian boy with trouble in learning and a problelmatic childhood. goes out, made a terrible mistake which he know it was a mistake, and had been held on her majesty pleasure for over 10 years. and no simpathy?

just wandering how all this work. isn't Learco Chindamo exactly the type of population that the late Mr Philips Lawrence would want to help, how is not forgiving him helping?

this is the 13 year old Mr Philips Lawrence was trying to protect...
#6 Old 29th Aug 2007 at 9:15 AM
No the courts weren't fair, and you have to fel sorry for his poor wife. And you're right about EU law rubbing us the wrong way in this case, but we signed up to something that can over-rule us so I guess we really only have ourselves to blame.