Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#126 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 8:34 PM
I'm taking a stab at guessing their POSSIBLE religion, because, lets be honest, there are a lot christians in america. I'm wishing them HAPPINESS, not a holiday. If someone wished me a happy Hanukkah or a happy Ramadan I wouldn't be offended. Other-than-christians need to stop assuming that i'm trying to convert them. Yes, there are other religions and i respect those religions (well, technically I'm pretty sure Kwanzaa isn't religious, but...) and have absolutely no problem with them. i'm all for you believing what your heart tells you. it's just that people who aren't catholic act like they're being put in a cage every time christmas comes around. We're celebrating our holiday. You celebrate yours. I don't complain every time Hanukkah comes around. Now, obviously it isn't as commercial as christmas, but I don't think that if i was in a mostly Muslim country i would feel very offended if someone wished me happy Ramadan. I guess it just bothers me that non-catholics act like victims whenever catholics do ANYTHING related to their religion. Yes, this country has freedom of religion, and that's the only way i'd have it. But it IS a MOSTLY christian country. You want to see Hanukkah the main religion? go to israel. Stop acting like a victim every time I worship the God of my religion.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the majority has the same rights as minorities.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#127 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
How about "Merry pretend you like your extended family once a year day"?

Sounds like my family!
Field Researcher
#128 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
I have a new idea for a greeting.

Merry Alcoholmas Eve everyone! Hope you all have a Merry Alcoholmas tomorrow!

GAH!! I'M A TEETOTALER!! HOW DARE YOU?!!!

LOL
Mad Poster
#129 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 7:50 AM
Merry Christmas to all, by the way, and don't even think of getting offended. :D

Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, etc, and to all a merry religiously-affiliated axial tilt season!
Field Researcher
#130 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas to you as well Rapsheba and to all my S2C friends. Or in cases like Barook happy whatever your current holiday is. Kind of surprised not to have heard from Barook regarding the Muslim celebration lately. Season's greetings to one and all. Look forward to more fun chatter here in the new year.
Scholar
#131 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cappyboy
Merry Christmas to you as well Rapsheba and to all my S2C friends. Or in cases like Barook happy whatever your current holiday is. Kind of surprised not to have heard from Barook regarding the Muslim celebration lately. Season's greetings to one and all. Look forward to more fun chatter here in the new year.

That's cause our Eid finished a long time ago...also Happy Zombie Jesus Day!
Scholar
#132 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 11:13 PM
*is obviously out of touch* "Zombie Jesus Day"? Wouldn't that be Easter?

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Test Subject
#133 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 12:11 AM
I either say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. I think getting worked up about it is silly. Someone is being nice and saying they hope you have a good time this holiday season. You may not be christian but don't get worked up, they were being nice, making them out to be a jerk is silly.

It reminds me of the Dane Cook joke about God Bless you.
Scholar
#134 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
*is obviously out of touch* "Zombie Jesus Day"? Wouldn't that be Easter?

Like I said in the "Merry Christmas" thread. All your holidays look the same.
shiny!
retired moderator
#135 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 1:20 AM
My friend is atheist. She celebrates Christmas. Her reasoning is that “It’s a national holiday” that “people from every religion celebrate”. According to her, it’s not really a religious holiday. Locally, at a toll booth, there are Christmas trees. My Rabbi asked them to put up a menorah and they freaked out and said that they can’t display anything having religious connotation. According to them, a Christmas tree isn’t religious. It’ just “seasonal decorations”. That kind of thinking royally pisses me off. Yes, it's a national holiday but only because our country is run by Christians and anyone who thinks the gov does an honest separation of church and state is just ignorant. Lets be real here, if a person of a religion that didn't include Christmas had been in charge, then there's no way Christmas wouldn't have been made a national holiday. But honestly, I'm Jewish, and if someone tells me Merry Christmas, I know they're just trying to be nice. They either don't know I'm Jewish or they honestly don't get that the entire world doesn't celebrate their same Christian holidays. The ignorance is bothersome but I recognize the good intention. For myself, I always say Happy Holidays, unless I know a person's religious affiliation, and then I will use the correct lingo. I think it's disrespectful to do otherwise, but honestly not the end of the world. It's just.. a world dominated by Christians who have a narrow vision of the world. As a minority, that's just something I've learned to accept.
Scholar
#136 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
Like I said in the "Merry Christmas" thread. All your holidays look the same.

Not my holiday, as I celebrate the solstice. To me Dec 25th is usually the 3rd or 4th day of the new year, depending on the timing of the solstice event. It was just that the zombie part, to me, implies some kind of resurection, and resurection/rebirth is typically identified with the comming of spring and the vernal equinox.

Also, it seems that most people are coming from the standpoint of non-Christians being offended by Christians wishing a Merry Christmas, and repeatedly ignoring the posts about the Christians being offended by the non-Christians seasonal greetings. Being an ostrich or a sheep is no excuse for bad behavior.

Quote:
It's just.. a world dominated by Christians who have a narrow vision of the world.

Actually it's only in the "Western world" that Christianity holds sway. As a world wide religion, it's only held by about 30%.

shiny!
retired moderator
#137 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 3:08 AM
Quote:
Actually it's only in the "Western world" that Christianity holds sway. As a world wide religion, it's only held by about 30%.

In the parts of the world where “Merry Christmas” is common place enough to cause conflict and there are people think that every religion should be comfortable celebrating a Christian holiday, Christianity is very much hugely dominant. Since that’s what we’re discussion, that’s what I commented on. I know that Christmas is not an international holiday.

Even though I was referring to the subject area at hand, if you want to get right down to it, the largest world religion is still Christianity. 33% might not seem like a lot but when you take into account the third largest religion only carries less than half that percentage, it carries a little more weight. It's like 1/3 of the world is Christian, 21% Islam, 16% Atheist and the other 30% account for ALL the people the other religions of the world. So there are almost as many Christians are there are people who belong to ALL the religions of the world, minus Atheist and Islam. That's significant.

Quote:
Also, it seems that most people are coming from the standpoint of non-Christians being offended by Christians wishing a Merry Christmas, and repeatedly ignoring the posts about the Christians being offended by the non-Christians seasonal greetings. Being an ostrich or a sheep is no excuse for bad behavior.

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but are you honestly trying to say that "seasons greetings" or "happy holidays" is offensive? It's not the same thing. If I went around telling all the Christians I know "Happy Hanukkah!", then you would have a CLOSER comparison. If you wanted a real comparison you would have to make Christians the minority suppressed in a predominantly Jewish society where they either choose to keep Christians law or can't keep a job because of the number of holy days in a given year which are required non work days (per one example), and surround them with Jews who automatically assume that people in their area regardless of religion celebrates Hanukkah because yanno it's just a seasonal festivity and nothing to do with a religious event, and somehow manages to offend a Jew because they didn't wish them a Happy Hanukkah. Oh no they had the AUDACITY to say Seasons Greetings!

I think the real problem is that a lot of people are incapable of seeing the other side to things. I don't wish Christians Happy Hanukkah or Muslims Merry Christmas. It's not an overly huge deal. People do it because they're trying to be nice and friendly. If it happens I don't get upset by it. I think it's a nice thought on the other person that I've been included, but it just shows their level of ignorance. I think it's just a matter of respect and understanding that not all the world thinks Christmas is just some fun day to get gifts and thinks that non Christians will just ignore that fact that it actually came about as the celebration of the birthday of the Christian G-D. When a lot of people say it they really don't get how someone wouldn't want to be a part of this holiday. I find that rude.

Saying a generic wish for a good holiday season should not be under any reasonable logic an offensive thing.
Scholar
#138 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but are you honestly trying to say that "seasons greetings" or "happy holidays" is offensive? It's not the same thing. If I went around telling all the Christians I know "Happy Hanukkah!", then you would have a comparison. Saying a generic wish for a good holiday season should not be under any reasonable logic an offensive thing.

No, I'm talking about the Christians who get offended at the non-Christians for using Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

I work in retail, in an area where we have a large Jewish and Hindu population and I personally do not celebrate Christmas. Consequently, I wish people "Have a Happy Holiday". I've had customers who consider themselves Christian take me to task for not wishing "Merry Christmas", and become more upset when I say that I don't celebrate Christmas.

I can hear it now" Well, don't tell them, and just wish them a Merry Christmas". I am not going to be forced to wish them the holiday greeting of their choice just to make them happy. I'm already a second-class citizen for other things, and I refuse to yield. I, and others, have mentioned these experiences several times previously in the thread, but most people seem to skip right over those posts, and only discuss the non-Christians who are offended by the Christians. As if, by ignoring something, it will go away.

shiny!
retired moderator
#139 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 3:38 AM
Well personally I just read the first post and responded to that.. heh. I didn't feel like reading 6 pages of debate and responding to every point. That may be why it got lost..

I think it's ridiculous for a Christian to get upset at someone for not celebrating their holiday, and not making the automatic assumption that everyone who they talk to is. Thankfully, I've never had anyone chew on me for not saying Merry Christmas. I find that kind of close-mindedness very sad. Seasons Greetings, etc, is just a nice way to encompass all belief systems. It may be a wake up to some people, but there are many different religions celebrating their own special holiday during this general time of year. Then of course there are those who don't celebrate anything. Since we can't read minds, a general best wishes greeting seems like the most appropriate thing. It's certainly a lot more appropriate than assuming everyone is celebrating one particular holiday.
Mad Poster
#140 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 3:43 AM
I just take a stab at maybe they're catholic, so it's worth a shot. I wouldn't be offended if someone replied to me with "I'm jewish." So then I'd say happy Hanukkah. I'm wishing them happy holidays in my religion, so maybe they'd like to wish me happy holidays in their religion. You don't have to believe what i believe to find the sentiment nice.
Field Researcher
#141 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
That's cause our Eid finished a long time ago...also Happy Zombie Jesus Day!

So my memory's off in thinking you have like Ramadan or something this time of year? And thanks for the wacky wording of the Christmas wish. Zombie Jesus. I marvel that George Romero has never done that. Seems like it would go over well today in an American pop culture that rails so hard against religion.
Mad Poster
#142 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 3:23 AM
actually, zombie jesus day is easter. :D
Mad Poster
#143 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
Except in my corner of the American south, where "Happy Holidays" is rumored to be a sign of the persecution of Christians and the destruction of the Christian religion.

Don't you live in South Carolina? Because I'm from North Carolina and I have never heard anything like that. That's pretty...disturbing

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Field Researcher
#144 Old 17th Jan 2009 at 5:25 AM
I'm not Christian, I do celebrate Christmas. In French the word for Christmas is "Noël" and has absolutely no correlation with the Christ or the Christianity. In my family the celebration is not around religion and the religion never comes to mind during the holidays.

They give me 2 week holidays, I sure make use of the free time and I don't care about any religious meaning that was historically into the celebration.

Page 6 of 6