Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#76 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by robokitty
We're getting stuck on ideas of discrimination vs. fairness. The FAIR thing to do in the Olympics it to make sure every single athlete has the exact same hormone and muscle composition and then allow them to compete.

I am NOT advocating fairness in the Olympics. The Olympics is all about some people getting the better end of the deal and some people getting the worse end of the deal, and seeing those differences shake out in the competitive arena.

(Also, not trying to draw attention from your main point here, but be careful with the way you refer to gender and sex in your writing. Sex strictly refers to phenotype whereas gender refers to behaviors and culture.)

The better or the worse end of the deal will also go for CAIS women, depending on what criteria are taken into acount. Why would you make an exception for XX males but not XY females? Why are genetics the main determining factor for you? And why not make exceptions where the genes for androgen receptors are defect? (like in CAIS)
Completely CAIS women typically identify as females, marry males, are typically female women in their personality. (CAIS is fifferent from PAIS)
PAIS women are are partially insenistive, the less insensitive, the more masculine they become. PAIS women tend to be more boyish, sometimes identify as male or intersex gender.

The use of the female phenotype common in science articles about CAIS. The phenotype of an CAIS women is declared to be female in all articles. Biology sees the CAIS women as female. Not working male hormones do not count to biologists for the end result or the expression of the gene. The genotype is male, the phenotype very female, (except for no repoduction organs).

A full CAIS woman, in body, organs, tissues, personality, is some more feminine than a normal woman. Only the womb misses and somewhere inside are useless testicles. Normal woman produce some testosterone in their adrenal, which influences their personality and body at least some. A complete CAIS woman has no effect of testosterone like that at all. Testosterone does not influence her brain or body both in development and after. So her personality is typically female her body is phenotypically female. Breast development is said to be average to above average. The above average probably is because of the no testosterone influence. Because puberty is delayed she is taller than average.

In its complete form (CAIS), the disorder is characterized by a 46, XY karyotype; an unambiguous female phenotype; absence of Müllerian derivatives; and bilateral, inguinal, and intraabdominal testes, which synthesize androgens at normal (or even elevated) rates.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 5:13 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/a...lete/index.html

Santhi Soundarajan, who had a similar thing happen to her, believes that Semenya should keep her medal.
Scholar
#79 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
Personally I think they should test all people before they race. In once sense it doesn't seem fair and I would agree seeing as it would seem all the trouble she went through for all of that. But do not say in the rules what is allowed and what is not allowed?

But really why on earth would they allow her to compete in the first place only to take away what she had won all because of a birth defect with her gender? I have to wonder why they would allow some one to go through that in the first place?

Unless they expect the person to be up front first about their condition in the first place? But then again I have to wonder how many people actually get past the medical in order to compete. I read the article and it's not right to put some one through a traumatic experience in front of the whole world.

I would imagine that would be quite traumatic when you are facing the whole world then to have them say well you can't have it now just because you were found to have more male hormones. Our society is really cruel when it comes right down to things.

Apparently they do not test every athlete beforehand. Countries should do that, would make more sense to demand that. Failed to test? Next year no olympics for you

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Theorist
#80 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 2:00 PM
Semenya WAS tested beforehand, the results were squashed to allow her to race. IE, there was a cover-up involved. If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't need to cover-up the test results. That tells me that her trainers knew she wasn't normal, and that she knew she wasn't normal, and that they have LIED to everyone. CHEATER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Scholar
#81 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
Semenya WAS tested beforehand, the results were squashed to allow her to race. IE, there was a cover-up involved. If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't need to cover-up the test results. That tells me that her trainers knew she wasn't normal, and that she knew she wasn't normal, and that they have LIED to everyone. CHEATER.

Actually, according to some of the numerous newspaper reports going around, Semenya was not told what the test was for, nor was she informed of the results immediately. Naturally, if this is true it would lead to the natural assumption if we're to believe in a conspiracy to cover-up that she was also lied to. Regardless, initial test results would simply have shown hightened testosterone and it's certainly possible that her trainers didn't think much of this immediately.

Female olympic athletes already have heightened levels of testosterone, and one would assume her trainers' logic followed thus:

High levels of testosterone + female olympic athelete = not unusual.
Naked Semenya + female body = female.
Not unusual female = no panic necessary.

Actually, I'm curious when thinking on it. I don't think any test has been performed on all female olympic athletes to see what the lowest to highest testosterone level for them is, and determine the average.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 3:26 PM
Am I the only one thinking that had she sported a more feminine haircut and maybe nailpolish or other typically female characteristics no one would have considered a gender test? I mean, there are transexuals sucessfully passing off as women merely because they have the right look. Cyberian Trooper posted in another thred a link to a video about such a person who looked very much female despite the fact he still had the full package and male levels of testosterone.
Scholar
#83 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Am I the only one thinking that had she sported a more feminine haircut and maybe nailpolish or other typically female characteristics no one would have considered a gender test? I mean, there are transexuals sucessfully passing off as women merely because they have the right look. Cyberian Trooper posted in another thred a link to a video about such a person who looked very much female despite the fact he still had the full package and male levels of testosterone.

I disagree with that. Semenya has a number of male secondary sex characteristics, and I don't think nail polish can hide it. I suspect she may be either a hermaphrodite, or a heavily masculinized female. Most female athletes do not sport nail polish, and many have short hair, and yet none of them have been suspected of having unusual testosterone levels.

I've seen her mother on television, and what a drastic comparison of femininity she is from her daughter Castor as far as sexual maturity is concerned, which leads me to believe that her inherited appearance is not genetic alone....
Theorist
#84 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TRIriana
Naked Semenya + female body = female.

You mean other than the fact that she has no uterus, no ovaries, and possesses a set of testicles internally? External appearances can be deceiving! Aren't we constantly told to not judge a book by its cover? Semenya has BALLS. LITERALLY. Semenya is NOT female. Semenya isn't totally male either. She is really neither, so Semenya should not be allowed to compete in a females only race, because Semenya isn't.

Quote:
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Mad Poster
#85 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi
I disagree with that. Semenya has a number of male secondary sex characteristics, and I don't think nail polish can hide it. I suspect she may be either a hermaphrodite, or a heavily masculinized female. Most female athletes do not sport nail polish, and many have short hair, and yet none of them have been suspected of having unusual testosterone levels.

I've seen her mother on television, and what a drastic comparison of femininity she is from her daughter Castor as far as sexual maturity is concerned, which leads me to believe that her inherited appearance is not genetic alone....

I couldn't find the link for the video I was mentioning that was posted by Cyberian Trooper. It was about a transexual guy who told his boyfried on national TV that he was a male. He looked veryt much female, talked and behaved like a female too. Besides, not all guys are big and muscley, some are slender by nature. I'm not denying that tests have proven that she's a hermaphrodite, but I'm saying that had she looked more like this on a regular basis she probably never would have been tested for gender. So, if gender is so important in olympics, how come they take all athletes at face value and just assume about them that they are the gender they say they are based on their looks alone? Who's to say that there aren't any other gender ambiguous athletes out there?
Scholar
#86 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 6:43 PM
You mean other than the fact that she has no uterus, no ovaries, and possesses a set of testicles internally? External appearances can be deceiving! Aren't we constantly told to not judge a book by its cover? Semenya has BALLS. LITERALLY. Semenya is NOT female. Semenya isn't totally male either. She is really neither, so Semenya should not be allowed to compete in a females only race, because Semenya isn't.

No, what she has are proto-testicles and no scrotum, or are you really of the belief - as your post suggests - that somehow she has balls hanging between her legs and nobody noticed in the showers or changing room?

Regardless, the bolded comment was my response to what her trainers may have been thinking, in simplistic terms, to just seeing her naked form on the outside in response to your comment about her trainers. So yes, it was a comment based on the "judging a book by its cover", which was the whole point.

Were you to actually meet Semenya, would you treat the woman as such, or as a man or some sort of It or Thing?
Scholar
#87 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 6:58 PM
I couldn't find the link for the video I was mentioning that was posted by Cyberian Trooper. It was about a transexual guy who told his boyfried on national TV that he was a male. He looked veryt much female, talked and behaved like a female too. Besides, not all guys are big and muscley, some are slender by nature. I'm not denying that tests have proven that she's a hermaphrodite, but I'm saying that had she looked more like this on a regular basis she probably never would have been tested for gender.

She looks like a man in drag now. lol I think the Olympics should probably open a special division for hermaphroditic people, or if her races are on par with the men's league, allow Semenya to compete in that division...
Mad Poster
#88 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi
She looks like a man in drag now. lol I think the Olympics should probably open a special division for hermaphroditic people, or if her races are on par with the men's league, allow Semenya to compete in that division...

Well, she's not fully a man, nor is she fully a woman. How can she compete in men's olympics based on that? Anyway, had she been properly diagnosed earlier when she was younger and given appropriate hormonal treatment, she would have developed a more feminine look and probably nobody would have questioned her gender. She could have participated in women's olympics just fine. So the question remains open, if gender is so important, why do they not screen for gender all participants before competitions?
Theorist
#89 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 8:32 PM
The main problem some are having is the failure to recognize that it isn't a "mens race and everyone that isn't a man's race" structure. Those who think it is fair for Semenya to race against women do so because the lack of penis means Semenya isn't a guy, so logically she has to be a woman.

that isn't how it works though. If men are blue, women are red, Semenya is purple.You have two marble bags. The blue ones go in the blue bag. The red marbles go in the red bag (just to be clear, the bags are the mens and womens races) and only blue marbles may be in the blue bag, only red marbles may be in the red one. Because Semenya is a purple marble, not blue, not red, in order to ensure fairness to the red marbles that actually are red, purple marbles don't belong in the red bag. As much as it sucks for Semenya, it is unfair to allow her to race against women.

Quote:
Scholar
#90 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 9:26 PM
The main problem some are having is the failure to recognize that it isn't a "mens race and everyone that isn't a man's race" structure. Those who think it is fair for Semenya to race against women do so because the lack of penis means Semenya isn't a guy, so logically she has to be a woman.

that isn't how it works though. If men are blue, women are red, Semenya is purple.You have two marble bags. The blue ones go in the blue bag. The red marbles go in the red bag (just to be clear, the bags are the mens and womens races) and only blue marbles may be in the blue bag, only red marbles may be in the red one. Because Semenya is a purple marble, not blue, not red, in order to ensure fairness to the red marbles that actually are red, purple marbles don't belong in the red bag. As much as it sucks for Semenya, it is unfair to allow her to race against women.

I can't speak for everyone else, but that isn't the reason I've voiced the opinions that I have. /Shrug. Ironically, you are guilty of the reverse as you have made it sound in previous posts that you consider her more male.

Using your metaphor though, Semenya is not purple. If blue = man and woman = red, Semenya is not completely half either - she is more one than the other. Which would mean she's a little lilac. Furthermore, continuing with your metaphor, we should have extra marbles: blue marbles that are glass/plastic/wood/stone, red marbles that are glass/plastic/wood/stone, purple marbles with a touch more red that are glass/plastic/wood/stone... Etc, etc...

So, if we are to be completely exact and utterly fair, there should probably be a whole new version of the olympics.

My previous question in my last post was to you, Davious; in case you missed it.

Quote:
Were you to actually meet Semenya, would you treat the woman as such, or as a man or some sort of It or Thing?
Theorist
#91 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 10:03 PM
How I might treat Semenya is irrelevant to the rules governing international athletic competitions. There is a completely different standard to be applied. I never said she was any less of a human being, and as such, she deserves to be treated as a human being. However that does not mean that Semenya should be allowed to compete in an athletic competition against women, where the rules are exclusionary (ie. men only race against men, women only race against women, etc.)

If there were an alternative gender race, or one that was inter-gendered, allowing all sexes to compete agaist each other, this would not be an issue. There aren't alternatives though, so in my opinion, Semenya does not meet the criteria to be eligible to race in either a mens or womens only race.

there needs to be equality, fairness for all of Semenya's potential opponents. Why should they be forced to compete against someone that does not meet the eligibility requirements?

Quote:
Scholar
#92 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 10:30 PM
Well, she's not fully a man, nor is she fully a woman. How can she compete in men's olympics based on that? Anyway, had she been properly diagnosed earlier when she was younger and given appropriate hormonal treatment, she would have developed a more feminine look and probably nobody would have questioned her gender. She could have participated in women's olympics just fine. So the question remains open, if gender is so important, why do they not screen for gender all participants before competitions?

Semenya is leaving the other female athletes behind in the dust. It's apparent that her overbearing masculinity is giving her this unfair advantage, and she would probably compete more fairly amongst male athletes...

Page 4 of 4