Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 10:56 AM
Have you ever had a problem with obscure download names?
Every now and then, you want to clear out your downloads folder - it could be too full, something could be conflicting in your game, or you just don't like a mod or download and can't delete it in-game.

However, this can be made difficult by creators naming their downloads 'madeby___' or 'download12' or even '417e203f_d10256d4.package' (the last one is taken from my own downloads folder).

My question is, do we think that there should be stricter rules on what creators name their downloads? Or is that taking censorship to save time for downloaders too far?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:01 AM
It is frustrating but I don't think you can force people give them descriptive names. It would be nice and save alot of time though!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:04 AM
Yes, it's sooo annoying. I just rename things though. Then I don't have to take forever working out what things are. Coming from someone with 8,945 downloads.
#4 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:06 AM
Hehe I have 12,834 :P
I'm a bit of a shopaholic!

And yea I now just rename all my downloads before I forget what they are as it's so much easier.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:07 AM
I used to have 15,789 downloads but I kind of halfed in. lol
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:13 AM
Lol I use Q-Xpress installer, so it puts it in the downloads folder and unzips it automatically. Problem with that is, I inevitably have to go and re-name them because there isn't the option in QX.

I think that the same way creators have to think about what they name their download thread, they should name their actual downloads using the same rules.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:15 AM
Hmm, I guess to the creator it makes sense to them. So 456_shoexheel3.package could be a sensible name for them. But it makes less sense to us because we're just downloading it. Remember creators have to test things again and again so their final file might have an obscure file name because of that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 11:16 AM
I see where you're coming from - but in the end they're creating something people are going to put on their computer. Surely it doesn't take too long for them to re-name the download before they upload?
Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 12:28 PM
I hate it so much!! But I end up finding the download, eventually...
#10 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 12:43 PM
I was trying to organize my downloads in subfolders, and found I had to name one folder the "X-files" and put hundreds of "Unknown´s" in there. Its very annoying if you want to have control over, say, 10.000 downloads or find the right one for a special reason.
Im not sure, but even if the creators have to test and change a lot, it would not be to hard to rename it into something sensible before they upload. (And this also because creators wants credits for their work, but if the file has an anynomous name, its sometimes hard to know who to credit)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 1:06 PM
I was determined to combat the problem with my own site - but the problem is that no matter how clearly you name a bodyshop file, once into a simpack, it becomes the useless string of numbers when unpacked. Very frustrating.

When it comes to objects though - I make sure that my username "calalily" is in them (as I do with bodyshop stuff - just simpacks screw it up) so that they can be gathered and foldered or deleted.

But with the bodyshop stuff - I make sure that there is something in the tooltips - so that they know what it is.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 1:31 PM
I had a download that I really liked, but when I was clearing out my downloads folder of all of the 'unknowns' - the ones that are made of numbers or random letters or are just 'by____' - I accidently deleted it, because I didn't know that was the download.

Now I have to go and find it to re-download.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

#13 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 2:40 PM
The things that used to confuse me are sensible names followed by random numbers... i have now worked out that they are the dates... i guess you learn to understand them in the end.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Aug 2007 at 10:46 AM
I'm sure even creators would get confused by their own downloads if they were named after half the names in my downloads folder.

EDIT: Do we think that creators should be under pressure to provide sensible filenames, as they do the names of their download threads on MTS2?

Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Aug 2007 at 8:03 PM
I save all my downloads to a USB in folders like "Hair", "Makeup/Eyebrows" stuff like that. Usually I can match files up, but sometimes it's just annoying.
#16 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 11:51 AM
lol, yeah it would be so much easier, but I don't think creators can be bothered to think of names that would go in your download folder, so the easiest thing to do is just re-name them yourself. I have just cleared out my download folder cause it got a bit too big, and I had no clue what I didn't want and what I did.. but now mine are in subfolders and Re-named to something sensible :P
Scholar
#17 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 3:53 PM
I have, in my downloads folder, mostly hair/skintones/eyes so it isn't as difficult for me to make head or tails of them. At one point though, before I organised it all, the only folder was the main Downloads folder. Then I decided to organise them into hair/skintones/eyes, and plonked them all in there. There were loads of miscellaneous ones though, because they had nonsensical (to me) alphanumerical names. I ended up deleting all of them, and starting over. This time I made sure I put them in Download Type > Creator name > Individual download, so it's a lot simpler.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 7:30 PM
I can hardly ever figure out what my downloads are. '[nameofcreator]_[number]' is popular, such as 'femalehair07' and 'casualclothes'. It would be a lot easier if they just named them 'hackedtelescope' or 'complicatedbunmesh' or 'casualtoddlerbluetop'. That's all I ask for!

#19 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 10:36 PM
I think it's frustrating, but some creators, like Nouk, give their uploads the same file and display name. So it's a lot easier.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 10:57 PM
Yeah BlakRoses, HP also gives them decent names. But some 'well-known' creators do still call their downloads after their name.

Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#21 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 11:04 PM
I have a lot of download files where the names are in other languages... like German, for instance, and they use characters that aren't recognized by Clean Installer. So on top of being unrecognizable, they turn my lot uploads into empty packages when I try to use them.

Haha and I have a ton of files with names like 417e203f_d10256d4.package... when I went in and cleaned up my downloads folder, I put all of them in a subfolder marked "Things I Can't Identify".

There's always money in the banana stand.
Test Subject
#22 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 1:42 PM
LOL..it's not a bad idea but they have a right to name what they create whatever they want.But I did find a few files in my computer called "douchbag" and I have no idea what they are for :confused:
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 5:17 PM
But then, if they were to name the download thread on MTS2 '417e203f_d10256d4.package' or 'MadeByFiggi' they'd be rejected for it. It takes less than 5 seconds to re-name a file!

Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 5:22 PM
Well, as you download them you rename them. After all, it only takes 5 seconds right?
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 5:31 PM
Well, I use QX Installer. As such I barely glance at the file-names, and it installs them without my input. I hate trawling through files when I'm having a download binge, and afterall, a supermarket can't say 'guess what it is then label your own food', can it?

Page 1 of 2