Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Jezzie : 2nd Jul 2017 at 5:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee

If you feel that acknowledging the achievements of groups that have campaigned for expanded civil rights somehow threatens your identity, then I'd say you have some pretty fucked up life priorities.

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I understood that the rainbow flag was a representation of ALL peoples whose sexuality did not fit into the strictly 'hetro' lifestyle? Why on earth would that even be an issue of skin colour/race?

Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
As a gay male, I've been told many, many, many times that my struggle for equal civil rights is in no way comparable to that of blacks. I've been told this BY BLACKS. So, they can F-OFF and create their own flag. And, no I am not "part of the problem" as proposed by GabyBee's article. Also, ALL LIVES MATTER!!!

I'm sorry, kattenijin, that you have had that experience. I live in Africa and I know of cases where people have been tortured and raped because of the colour of their skin (black or white) and I know of cases where people whose sexuality did not fit into the realm of 'normal' and they were subjected to torture and 'corrective rape' (which needs no explanation).

Anyone who says one fight is not equal to the other is an idiot. As long as there is bigotry, hatred and intolerance of a man/woman's right to live as a dignified being regardless of sexual orientation we are failing as human beings, and as long as there is bigotry, hatred and intolerance of a man/woman's right to live as a dignified being regardless of skin colour we are failing as human beings. The two are separate but equally important.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 9:01 AM
Ut-oh! I thought I knew how I felt about the Pride flag including race, but now I'm confused. Help. I saw this ad for Uber and it appealed to my emotions. I like the idea of everyone having pride and understand the reasons for those who have been marginalized or acted against with bias and prejudice to have a need to express pride in being who they are. On the other hand, I still stand by my earlier statement that this muddies the movements and blends them into one. The Pride flag has a historical context for a narrower group than "all people who feel disenfranchised or who struggle for civil rights".

Here's the ad, if you are interested. I dunno. I like the positive message, but think I want the Pride flag to represent the LGBTQ+ community.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Alchemist
#78 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
The rainbow flag is not an official flag of the United States of America. It is a flag used by various groups to represent the broad coalition of groups who have fought for the expansion of civil rights of persecuted minority groups.

If you feel that acknowledging the achievements of groups that have campaigned for expanded civil rights somehow threatens your identity, then I'd say you have some pretty fucked up life priorities.

Or, to put it more succinctly - If You Hate the New Pride Flag, You're the Problem

I guess my questions to you would be, "Then when will they add a female-specific stripe, and other stripes for races that are continuing to expand civil rights for themselves, as well? And if they did, because all civil rights issues are equal in your mind, you don't think that might undermine the whole LGBT population in some way?".... And, "That's not at all lazily slapping two completely different issues, one of sexual identity, and one of cultural/racial identity, together?" I can see how they're similar, but similar does not mean same.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Field Researcher
#79 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 11:14 AM
I think all should set back, relax, grow a thicker skin, and have a nice, hot cup of STFU.
Theorist
#80 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 10:54 PM
Quote:
I think all should set back, relax, grow a thicker skin, and have a nice, hot cup of STFU.

Yeah, like this woman recently:

And these two some time ago:

And this guy:
Field Researcher
#81 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Yeah, like this woman recently:

And these two some time ago:

And this guy:
Didn't I say All? Libs, conservatives, everyone.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 6:55 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 10th Sep 2017 at 10:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
Didn't I say All? Libs, conservatives, everyone.
And you say this because....? We shouldn't sweat the small stuff, but these: equality, safety, freedom, are BIG and worthy of our passion and energy.

Field Researcher
#83 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
And you say this because....? We shouldn't sweat the small stuff, but these: equality, safety, freedom, are BIG and worthy of our passion and energy.
Don't over think it.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 12:56 AM
Don't over think it.
I'm not. We're talking about human rights. Time to get passionate. It's wicked easy to say, "Don't sweat it" when YOUR rights aren't being threatened.

Instructor
#85 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 11:33 AM
I'm not. We're talking about human rights. Time to get passionate. It's wicked easy to say, "Don't sweat it" when YOUR rights aren't being threatened.

No one's rights are being seriously threatened. There's a reason society casually mocks racists, and that's because they have no actual power. The group that DOES have power (due to their sheer number) is those who have become so sensitized to racism (because it is so uncommon) that they are willing to get violent with innocent people over innocuous things.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 5:31 PM
Race issues in the States will always be problematic. I said it ages ago and I'll reiterate: This is Not a melting pot. The statue of liberty is a farce. For all non-American viewers: think of this republic as a failed social experiment which will never evolve and always piss off the rest of the world. I doubt even a super-cataclysmic event could alter the downward spiral that began in 1776. However, one can always become an ex-pat and see how screwy other places are too.

Kidney stones are never round pebbles... they are more like jagged stalactites.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 8:23 PM Last edited by Kunder : 13th Sep 2017 at 9:33 PM.
I live in Texas. I'm not worried about my rights being violated. I don't know if you live in the U.S or not, but it seems everyone in the world worries about what's going on here.

What is going on?

We voted.
We spoke.
Others didn't like the results (Americans) and are throwing a hissy.

Children NEVER like it when the adults say "NO", and throw tantrums.

You didn't see those on my side of the fence acting like this when Obama was elected.

No ones rights are being "Violated".

I'm not worried about it.

Nothing to see here, time to move along.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#88 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 8:54 PM
Damn, I didn't know this thread was still getting attention lmao

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
#89 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
Damn, I didn't know this thread was still getting attention lmao
It's the daytime saga "As the Stomach Turns"
Test Subject
#90 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 7:50 AM

You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
Field Researcher
#91 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jezzie
You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
But it's fun!
Mad Poster
#92 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
No one's rights are being seriously threatened. There's a reason society casually mocks racists, and that's because they have no actual power. The group that DOES have power (due to their sheer number) is those who have become so sensitized to racism (because it is so uncommon) that they are willing to get violent with innocent people over innocuous things.
Ummm..."No one's rights are being seriously threatened."????? You're basing this on what? Have you never heard of the rates of arrests, incarcerations, and legnthier sentences for black citizens? Have you never been aware of the loss of opportunities due to race and skin color? Are you unaware of the disavantages the many face due to the color of their skin and their attendant zip code? How did you come to this conclusion, anecdotal evidence (aka: an individual's experience that does not represent what the majority experiences) aside?

I live in Texas. I'm not worried about my rights being violated. I don't know if you live in the U.S or not, but it seems everyone in the world worries about what's going on here.

What is going on?

We voted.
We spoke.
Others didn't like the results (Americans) and are throwing a hissy.

Children NEVER like it when the adults say "NO", and throw tantrums.

You didn't see those on my side of the fence acting like this when Obama was elected.

No ones rights are being "Violated".

I'm not worried about it.

To say the least, I'm completely baffled with your response to my comment and how it ties in with Black Lives Matter. Care to elaborate? In terms of how blacks are treated in the US and in terms of the rates of incarceration and less opportunities, how does it matter whose "side" won, unless we are talking about the KKK vs the rest of us. Please...curious to understand what you're thinkinging here.

Field Researcher
#93 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:06 PM
Ummm..."No one's rights are being seriously threatened."????? You're basing this on what? Have you never heard of the rates of arrests, incarcerations, and legnthier sentences for black citizens? Have you never been aware of the loss of opportunities due to race and skin color? Are you unaware of the disavantages the many face due to the color of their skin and their attendant zip code? How did you come to this conclusion, anecdotal evidence (aka: an individual's experience that does not represent what the majority experiences) aside?

To say the least, I'm completely baffled with your response to my comment and how it ties in with Black Lives Matter. Care to elaborate? In terms of how blacks are treated in the US and in terms of the rates of incarceration and less opportunities, how does it matter whose "side" won, unless we are talking about the KKK vs the rest of us. Please...curious to understand what you're thinkinging here.
Are you a U.S. citizen?, or other. Your answer will dictate how I answer your question.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:11 PM
I'm not the one who resurrected it.
Test Subject
#95 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 2:42 PM
I'm not the one who resurrected it.

I never said you resurrected it, I said you had commented 5 times SINCE it had been resurrected.

Instructor
#96 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:30 AM

First, the rates of crimes are also higher for black citizens, so the arrestation rate discrepancy is justified. In regards to the length of sentences, while that is unfortunate, it is not systemic. The imprisonment gap between men and women is much larger than the gap between black and white people, though, and I see no men starting riots over this.

Lost opportunities due to race and skin colour apply to all races. The ever-present "race quotas" that compare people based on their race rather than their abilities come to mind. Interestingly, while denying racial minorities opportunities based on their race is ILLEGAL, denying racial majorities opportunities based on their race is often LEGALLY ENFORCED. How ironic that the only systemic problem is actually the OPPOSITE of what you claim. Anyhow, zip codes are based on location, not race, though I'm not actually sure what point you were attempting to make.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize again that nothing you brought up is systemic, so there are no systemic solutions. Do you honestly think racially-motivated violence is a valid way to change public perspective for the better? Don't make me laugh.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
First, the rates of crimes are also higher for black citizens, so the arrestation rate discrepancy is justified. In regards to the length of sentences, while that is unfortunate, it is not systemic. The imprisonment gap between men and women is much larger than the gap between black and white people, though, and I see no men starting riots over this.

Lost opportunities due to race and skin colour apply to all races. The ever-present "race quotas" that compare people based on their race rather than their abilities come to mind. Interestingly, while denying racial minorities opportunities based on their race is ILLEGAL, denying racial majorities opportunities based on their race is often LEGALLY ENFORCED. How ironic that the only systemic problem is actually the OPPOSITE of what you claim. Anyhow, zip codes are based on location, not race, though I'm not actually sure what point you were attempting to make.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize again that nothing you brought up is systemic, so there are no systemic solutions. Do you honestly think racially-motivated violence is a valid way to change public perspective for the better? Don't make me laugh.
^^^This!^^^
Field Researcher
#98 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 11:30 PM
I never said you resurrected it, I said you had commented 5 times SINCE it had been resurrected.
Just as you have, and you're right, you didn't say that. My apologies.
Scholar
#99 Old 13th May 2018 at 3:43 PM
well,aren't they basically a black supremacy group?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 22nd May 2018 at 4:29 PM
"Black lives matter" is a stupid thing to say because all lives matter and all lives are equal even if you have a different skin colo(u)r or heritage.

Sometimes I feel like one of the unborn Ottomas twins.

Page 4 of 5