Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 5:00 AM
Default Dark shadows on frankensteined dress not present on originals
I have made a dress using three different meshes, cobbled together in Milkshape, exported as .obj to use in blender as I think the UV unwrapping is better, and imported back into Milkshape to finalise. But on coming back into Milkshape the dress has picked up dark shadowy areas around the hemline and the sleeves, which were not there on the original meshes, and are not places I have touched in cutting and pasting. (They might have been acquired on importing into Blender, I'm not sure.)

I have aligned normals, done smoothing in blender and a couple of other things I picked up from google but to no avail.

Where did they come from and how can i get rid of them???

Thanks.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 11:12 AM
Looks slike the issue that happens if Autosmooth is ticked in Milkshape, particularly if the mesh parts share vertices. It's possible to fix minor issues like this with some clever marking and aligning normals, but for more difficult meshes it's often easier to just start over.

You can try to fix it in Milkshape by marking the circles inside of the arms and the bottom circle of the dress, make them a separate group, hide the rest of the mesh, and do "align normals" on the circles. Then combine the groups again, fix comments and group name, and export the mesh.

Alternatively try to untick "Autosmooth" before you reimport the mesh from Blender to MIlkshape.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 3:20 PM
I didnt have autosmooth on. But I did follow your Milkshape instructions - worked like a charm!! Thank you again! (see the hat... I did that BY MYSELF!!)

Just need to work on the shading that I DO want, and she's ready for school!