Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#151 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 3:23 AM Last edited by beosboxboy : 23rd Apr 2005 at 3:32 AM. Reason: typos and lacuna
Okay, kiddos, this one may be a long post, so get your popcorn...

I have an industrial grade graphics card with 512 MB DDR RAM, the card I have can be used for rendering massive 3D objects [think architectural images of hospitals and skyscrapers], editing RAW video files of 50+ gigabytes on the fly, or gaming. It supports 256 bit colour, most people spend their whole life thinking 32 bit colour is the best it gets. I have an audio card that is used for lab editing of sound in music studios. I have 2 gigabytes of RAM and dual 3.0 Ghz CPUs, the system to cream a gamer's pants...

I bought The Sims 2 DVD the day it came out, had grief with video drivers, sound drivers, and all manner of system conflicts that by stages were worked out over two weeks.

I was displeased by the lack of objects at first, then found that Maxis had failed to include any real support for user created object content, which was one of the reasons I had bought the bloody game in the first place.

Then by stages some brilliant, gifted, and beautiful people in the Sims on-line community figured out the mystery of the code and gave us CEP, MeshTool, and SimPE, God bless them every one.

Then I discovered the woes of GUID conflicts, bizarre and unaccountable lack of support for some CEP content but support for other. It made no sense, but I rolled with it.

Then the patch came and all was well with my world... until the University EP.

Some one at Maxis managed to bollix it up on some fairly crucial code in the EP. The sound event manager seems to have no idea where some sounds are located, and seems to under go Tourettes syndrome because there are two instances of a particular sound file (one in the Sims 2 sounds bin, one in the University sounds bin). I have logs that scroll for bloody ever on that matter. This results in some fairly lengthy and unnecessary cycle-wasting as the game engine plugs along until it finds a sound file it can use.

Previously, my Sim could wear the Thinking Cap reward object dose the kid with Smart Milk and potty train, teach to talk, and teach to walk like a rocket scientist. After the Uni EP, the kiddies can still be taught everything BUT walking this way.

With NOTHING hacked or user-created, I sudden found myself having to enter all lots in debug mode or run the risk of a system lock-up. I ended up having to install hacks to get past this issue.

When I try to send 8 Sims to college it always bogs on the 8th Sim no matter what. I end up having to exit and re-enter the lot to get past the cinematic lock-up.

Before installing the Uni EP, I could get all the kiddie Sims off to school without a hitch, now it is a bloody chore to keep them from hanging out, using MP3-players, or playing their hand-helds until the school bus has left the lot and they suffer a GPA hit.

After installing the Uni EP, the toddlers now all but run as hard as they can at the WC to play in the toilet.

After installing the Uni EP, I have every Sim in the Lot in a heap as they hang out and play kick baggie in doorways and traffic areas until someone among them suffers catastrophic bladder retention failure because that Sim cannot navigate a way out of the juggernaut.

After installing the Uni EP, I am limited to 2 guests unless I apply the cheat to circumvent this; before installing the EP, it was pretty much unlimited.

After installing the Uni EP, I could have a Sim feed smart milk to the toddlers without it requiring a 4x4 object free zone around the toddler, now if there is anything within two grids on any side of the toddler the bottle always ends up on the floor.

Before installing the Uni EP, I never had a Sim blocked by a shadow on the lot as if it were a wall, now I occasionally see this occur.

Before installing the Uni EP, if I cancelled an autonomous interaction before the Sim arrived at the object to be used I never saw the obstruction bitch, now I see it every time.

After installing the Uni EP, my Sims will slouch as the game engine works out the autonomous advertising reaction, sometimes for several very creepy minutes. Other times I now see the various NPC and player Sims just twitch and jitter as they are pulled by the high-advertising objects all in close proximity.

After installing the Uni EP, I have watched in wonder as un-greeted Sims enter a rental property and just help themselves to whatever is available, be it food or entertainment. Most recently I saw this happen when my Sims were away at class: a totally unknown Sim entered the property -- which had burglar-alarms galore -- and help himself to food in the expensive Maxis fridge, play on the computer, then practice chess.

Before the Uni EP, I never had the teleporter location become blocked by a pile of Sims hanging-out.

Before the Uni EP I never saw the whole video quality run to the low end, now if there are more than 8 Sims on the lot it goes all to mud. I have checked this carefully, it is the game rendering engine in the Uni EP that has the problem with the high-poly objects and multiple Sims much more so than the patched Sims 2 original version.

Before the Uni EP, my Sims hardly ever developed impossible wants; now I see the Alien Reparations grant want for most of my knowledge Aspiration teens. Short of using the hack, I have never seen a teen get abducted by aliens. On the other hand, it has always been any adult male Sim I have with a max'ed Sci-Fi interest can go no where near a telescope.

I regularly have the annoying cheerleader and mascot show up and stay on the lot for the whole of the time that the Sims are at uni, asking them to leave doesn't work. I ended up walling one in until she died, then my woe and dread became in earnest. Her ghost killed off two of my student Sims by scaring them to death when their needs were only modestly low. Deleting the tombstone did not resolve this haunting; deleteing the ghost with the moveObject cheat did not resolve it either. The bloody Cow mascot's ghost just wouldn't go away until I bull-dozed the lot. Then I used SimPE to find the Sim's file and manually deleted her from the game just to make sure.

Since installing Uni, without any custom or hacked objects whatsoever, I have had the Athletic career reset bug.

After downloading lots from Sims Exchange, I had a whole neighbourhood get inverted with its University neighbourhood so that the mapping of the neighbourhood lots was retained but I was looking in the Neighbourhood at the University, trying to recover the data was useless. When I exported the lots into the lots bin I ended up with the structures from the Uni but all a-kilter on the lot so that the street ran beneath the structures. I think this must have happened to some other players as I have seen some interesting things done with lots spanning the street in the neighbourhood screen, but constrained to the lot when playing the lot.

Some hacks and hacked objects intermittently fail because the Sims 2 University will not consistently acknowledge the novel GUID the hacker has given the device. I even run into this issue with my own user-created re-colours not even showing up in the game as the Uni EP seems to just refuse some recolour projects with no discernable cause. The Sims Town project was scrapped for some fairly good causes, then they salvaged some of that garbage code and wedged it into SimCity 4 in a sort of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein re-enactment. I suspect the coves at Maxis did something not all together different with recycled and salvaged code in the Sims 2.

Sims 2 release was delayed for a some months due to the multitude of bugs in the original RTM release, which resulted in the wags at Maxis stripping out quite a lot of content and abandoning all hope of it ever appearing in the game.

Maxis rushed this dog to market and it shows, now rather than attending to the niceties of fixing the multifarious bugs, they are busily pushing a lame pony to market so when we get Nightlife, we shall be assured of having the all-breeds dog and pony show.

This next paragraph is pretty harsh, but keep in mind, I bought and still play the Sims 2, it is part vent and part statement of fact:

Maxis has come to suffer from what I call EA-ism, the disease of pushing things to market a year before they are stable. These days, a hard core gamer buys a game then goes to the producers web site daily until the patches appear. I can think of no other company that consistently sends garbage code to shelves than EA, that being stated I will quote my brother: "When I had a Commodore 64 in the 1980s, I had nothing but grief from Electronics Arts games... ...their tech support was the worst then and is the worst now." One would think with the cash-cow that Maxis brought EA in the original Sims, they would have been a little better about things in the release of Sims 2 and its attendant EPs, but no, they weren't. Instead of having a game that is rock stable on day one, like the Sims, the Sims 2 has been a long road of woe for most people. Myself, I went back to Sims original as I waited on the patch, my brother did the same.

It goes a far way down the road to proving the universality of the Sims when 40-something and 20-something year old men play a game with the same zeal as 14 year old girls. This is the legacy of the best selling game franchise ever; we, the members of the Sims online community represent an enormous money-making potential to the wags at Maxis and EA, and they have treated us rather poorly on this EP.

In all candour, the carpet-bagger mentality seems to be all-pervasive these days. I just want a game that works as well as the original Sims without having to apply hacks. As it stands, the game is pretty close to unplayable without the hacks -- thank-you and I love you for it all you hackers -- so when Nightlife comes to market, I will do the sane and reasonable thing, wait a year and buy it after the patches are available and not a day sooner.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 3:24 PM
My only problem so far is that when I went into the Sim State Univertisty neighborhood and clicked on the "Bright" house, my game crashed. What's up with that?
Lab Assistant
#153 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 4:02 AM Last edited by Jules : 27th Apr 2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: MORE BUGS FOUND!!!
im getting jumpy sims... always when they gotto to sit down at a table to eat they sometimes snap back to standing and food disapears...happening in neighborhood lots and in uni lots... also...not played game much and noticed some uni sims are now semi transparent... prob part of the game as they were fine about 10 mins ago.... back to the grind to go check it out :

More Uni bugs noticed sims cant sit on sofas.... get errors and snapping... also they cant sit down to hang out and also errors when doing assignments
Aslo noe of my sims can now chat on the there phones they just stand there ... be it on a moblie or normal landline phone... they can still invite over.... but i like watching them walking round chatting on the phone !!!!!! Man this game kills me... spent 2 days cleaning up and doing everything right and still problems.... my sim is constantly being told hes missed final exams... and im constantly sending him to college and he goes of some times for a little while somtimes for a few hours and within mins hes missed his exams again... i read about menu hacks messing with this... as far as im aware i dont have any menu hacks.... please any suggestion greatly appreciated....

really enjoyed reading the long post above btw...very well writen and i agree with you totally !
Test Subject
#154 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 5:29 AM
Default Sims won't age on there own
I don’t know where to put this, I don’t know if this is a bug, glich, or what it is, but it really starting to annoy me.
Ok here is the problem, I decided to play the neighborhood Veronville, and I play for a while with no problems, until I played the Summerdream family. At first I didn’t notice, but Oberon and puck weren’t aging, everyone else was aging fine. I can age them with a cheat but they won’t age on their own. Also I couldn’t get Oberon to married Titania, I can get them engaged, but no option to get married.
I exit with out saving and restarted the game with out any hack (Took out all my downloads). Figuring it was a hack problem. Nope still the same they wouldn’t age, but I could get them married this time.
It really stated to bother me, why these two Sims wouldn’t age. So I use SimPE to look at the character data, when I look at all the characters in sim browser, There where 4 character files for Oberon and for puck. Three of course were no character data; the good character files, however were a little mess up. The age data was not right, where it says (days in prev.age) for Oberon it should be 26 instead it says 0,same for Puck 0 it should be 12.
So I change it to the right amount, change nothing else, commit, save and exited simpe.
Stated game, play the summerdream family, the time came for the Sims to age, They still didn’t not age on there own.
I try moving them out, moving them back in, I tried moving the whole family out of the lot and in to a new one, bulldozing the old lot. I move the whole lot with family to a new neighborhood, and still Oberon and Puck won’t age on their own.

I also just stated noticing some thing with the microwave, I will put A microwave on a lot it will disappear, some times I have to put it on the lot three times and in different places before it will stay.

I don’t know how the character data became corrupted, where I never played that neighborhood.
And as for the microwave I don’t know why it disappears, I just stop using them in the game.

If you love someone and set them free, if they come back to you, their your, if they don’t, Hunt it down and kill it.
Instructor
#155 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 5:58 AM
Underworld_Imp

Who said I owned an HP or a Dell or any kind of computer like that to begin? First of all, let me say I've been there and done that with Compaq aka HP nowadays as HP bought them out last year and I will NEVER be so stupid as to own something like that again. It's NOT user configurable without jumping through hoops to do. My system is user configurable - hence the reason I don't have all that garbage loading when my system boots up, only what we want and deem necessary to load.

There's nothing wrong with my system. It's not top of the line but then it's not bottom of the heap either. I mean it is an Athlon 2700 CPU, with 1 gig of RAM a 650 watt power supply etc.... So it more than exceeds the minimum requirements listed on the box.

Hysterical,

Ok, name me one game (that's supposed to be rated as highly as Sims 1 or 2 is) that's even buggier or even just as buggy as Sims 2 is, just one well known game. That's all I want to know. Because I know for a fact I've used several different kinds of computers and operating systems over the years since 1981 and I have yet to see any program (game or anything else) be sitting at a screen waiting for user input (point in fact at the load screen where the 3 hoods are shown waiting for the user to choose a hood) reboot the computer on it's own. Of course when it did that it scrambled up tons of files on my system on me. Things were crosslinked so badly I'm just back from a fresh reformat and reinstall of most of my software EXCEPT TS2 & Uni. I have yet to see any program scramble things that badly on me. This is a first. Believe me. So yeah I think there is a problem with the game and Maxis' in house testing because my computer system doesn't use any wacky out of the norm hardware or software. I mean it's got an Asus motherboard with a 2700 Athlon CPU, 2 hard drives - one by Western Digital and the other by Quantum, an LG CD burner and an LG DVD reader, an ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card with 128 meg RAM, 650 watt power supply and if you want to get down to the monitor and keyboard, well the monitor is a flatscreen Viewsonic and the keyboard is the old one from the Compaq (but I have to give Compaq that - they made decent keyboards if nothing else). The sound is on the motherboard and so I'm not sure of that. There you go. Whole system except my trinkets that sit atop it. Other than the monitor and keyboard and sound that's basically the same configuration that my husband has too, but yet my son is able to run his copy of TS2 & Uni on his father's computer without any problems. Incidentally we have the same OS, anti-virus and firewalls and browsers etc too, in case you're wondering about that.

netseeker2
Test Subject
#156 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 11:58 AM

Well, my apologies netseek. I was mostly just trying to tell you that you should really compare the specs of your computer and what sims 2 recommends.

So since I obviously can't help you, I must say I apologize.

Those Who Run From The Darkness Are Those Who Are Swallowed By The Light. Those That Creep In The Shadows, Are The Darkness' Shape-shifters.

- imp

Twitter: @Hypnotikid
Lab Assistant
#157 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 12:38 PM
I'm sorry I don't have a solution to your problem...but was wondering if any body has the same or worse problem with dl's not showing up at all? for example new meshes... just wandering???
Instructor
#158 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 9:32 PM
DvDMom

You mean like having an empty house in which you put two sims and then take the time to furnish it and package it to a .Sims2Pack file and then later put that .Sims2Pack file back into another game only to find out that the house and the 2 sims are there but everything else you spent hours doing isn't? Yup, have had that happen to me too before anything except skins were available for the game.

I've had all sorts of problems including the one you mention above but that is usually because the file you're trying to put into the game either is no good or isn't compatible with your game (ie: if you have the EP it's not EP compatible and if you don't have the EP, you're trying to put something into your game that requires it).

netseeker2
Field Researcher
#159 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by funkeymonkey22003
Not sure if this is because I have a couple of mods installed or if it is Uni :
My sims go to the phone to answer a call, you know the other person in on line because you see the little baloon with them in it. And my sim doesn't talk anymore they used to strut and rant while on the phone I loved that, now they just stand there like morons, I have to tell them to hang up.

Did you ever receive an answer to this? I have read this through and did not see one. I am also having the same problem. I have removed all my download files and put them back one at a time, but that didn't decipher which was the bad file, as they all worked by themselves. So I'm thinking it must be a conflict somewhere, but I sure can't find it. A little help or advice would sure be appreciated. Thank you.
Instructor
#160 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 5:14 PM Last edited by beosboxboy : 28th Apr 2005 at 5:20 PM. Reason: bloody typoes
nancyw41 and funkeymonkey22003: there is a phone hack (contained in a yellow recolour of the burglar alarm) that also does auto-greet visitors, caller-id, and will set the ringer to off or a certain number. Look for that in your small electronics, if it's there or you use it I suggested moderating some caution on its use.

There may also be something corrupt in your character-, family-, or lot-file (happens mostly if you exit/save the lot while the Sim is using a cell-phone).

Sometimes I have corrected this sort of BHAV problem by forcing an error in debug mode, sometimes not - I most often end up moving the family out of the lot then moving them into a nother lot; but even this has not been 100% foolproof. About 50% of the time over-all, I end up nuking the whole neighbourhood and starting over.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#161 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 10:59 PM
netseeker2 - In reply to your note to underworld_imp: Compaq/HP systems are utter crap. I recently had a top-of-the-line HP laptop (the most expensive one they had, with SWEET specs) and it had such terrible cooling issues, it'd just shut off about every half hour unless you propped it up on something so its bottom didn't touch the table. In my experience, HP/Compaq stuff is hard to configure and not really solid. However, Dell systems are fantastic. I've dealt with about 25+ Dell desktops in the past three years through various jobs, and not one has had problems that weren't due to user error. Their cooling systems tend to get clogged with dust (but so does everything in this area) but as long as you clean them regularly, you can fully configure everything and it doesn't give you the annoying Compaq crap about wanting to run their "smartkeys" or whatever. I've always built my own systems, and I swore for years I never would buy a prebuilt, but Dell offers some pretty nice systems for cheap. If I had tried to build the same or comparable system myself, it probably would've been at least $300-400 more, plus I would've had to put it all together myself (no big deal) but I also would've had to register Windows XP, which I hate hate HATE and would gladly pay $1000 -just- to not have to do that. It sounds like you know your stuff on hardware, and the right local hookup could probably get you a system for about the same or cheaper, but you might just take a look at the Dell systems if you're in the market for a new computer at some point.

As for buggy games, well, I mean, if you're going all the way back to 1981 (at which point I was still sperm and egg), let's see... Daggerfall was pretty friggin' buggy. I used to fall into the "void" all the time in dungeons. Unfinishable quests. And as I recall, if you didn't do the first quest the game gave you in a certain amount of time, that's it, game over. That last one may be more of a design flaw than a bug, but till I get a system that can play Morrowind, I'm still playing Daggerfall now and then and it's just thoroughly infested with bugs.

Hidden and Dangerous apparently had some major gameplay bugs (although I never played it myself)...

Creatures (the whole series) was pretty buggy, especially for what it was. I'd have norns that just curled up and died for no reason constantly, and eventually I stopped playing because there was no known fix for a bug that caused them to just go into convulsions. This was in spite of some serious involvement from the game's production company and some heavy patching. The genetics for the norns that shipped with the first two in the series were so terrible that, as I recall, they were almost completely replaced in the patch. It's the equivalent of your sims staring longingly at the refrigerator for five or six sim hours, screaming that they're hungry, and then curling up in a little ball on the floor and refusing to do anything but die eventually.

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows had some very stupid gameplay glitches and a couple of pretty major bugs. Also, it enjoyed crashing right before I could save, after executing impossible feats of skill that I could never reproduce.

Heh, Morrowind before patches was... interesting. I had a pair of Bugged Boots of Ever-Levitation (I don't remember what they were actually called) that would allow me to continue levitating even after the duration of the spell had run out - so I pretty much just flew the whole way across the continent, high above the stupid fish and cliff racers and such. Just had to remember not to -save- while that high up as when I reloaded, I'd go plummeting to the ground. There were also some quests that were utterly unsolveable - the item I'd been asked to retrieve just wasn't there at all. I spent at least 12 real-life hours searching every nook and cranny of one dungeon for some stupid item and eventually had to give up and use the cheat to spawn it because it just didn't exist there. It also was fond of crashing on me. Oh, and I had one fun bug in that... All the sudden my character would just... go into warp speed forward or off to the side. I'm not sure, but I think it actually killed him a couple times, although that might've been Thief 3: DS, as I played the two simultaneously.

Hell, the first Sims didn't do too well for me, either. Mortimer Goth ended up burning to death within about 10 minutes of playing the Goths. The firefighter came, put out every tile around him (as he stood screaming and burning, his family watching in horror), finished putting out everything else, and left. Shortly thereafter, Bella hooked up with another female character from another lot I was playing, moved in with her, and left her daughter alone in the house haunted by her crispy, dead father. Part of that may be a failing of the AI (putting out the burning person before the stove would make more sense) but being able to move out and leave a child seemed very buggy to me.

Neverwinter Nights. Though I had few problems with it myself (besides wanting to throttle the damn halfling going, "Oh, I can pick that open easy. Ahh, it's done!" every few minutes) I've heard of some major, serious bugs that made it utterly unplayable for many, many people.

I'm sure there are many more, and more major games, certainly. Honestly, at least in terms of the glitches I'm getting, Sims 2 and University don't feel that much more buggy than the other games I've played over the years. I'm not huge into computer games (certainly, not as much as others) but it doesn't particularly stand out to me, in my experience, as anything other than a little glitchy. Most of the problems I've had have made me laugh more than bothered me, but I can understand if the game's not running, not finding any humor in that. I am getting a bit annoyed at the complete inability for me to get Body Shop working correctly on either of my computers (my Dell won't run the version from CD at all, and if I install the downloadable version, the game stops working, and either way new meshes don't show up, and my old pre-Compaq HP running the downloadable version refuses to recognize any added content whatsoever).

I really do understand your frustration. But the game works near-flawlessly for many, many people (I've had my share of minor glitches and bugs, but nothing that's made me want to microwave my game CD's yet). You say your son runs the game fine on your husband's computer that's near-identical to yours... What are the differences between your two systems? What is running on there that's not on yours (or is on yours but not on his)? Sounds like you've had computers for quite a while, and know what you're talking about, but in my experience, there's usually -some- stupid setting somewhere, some odd software conflict, or some other (usually minor) thing that, if discovered, suddenly unlocks the whole thing for you.

Have you tried the percussive method? *grin*
Field Researcher
#162 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 11:05 PM Last edited by nancyw41 : 29th Apr 2005 at 12:33 AM. Reason: update
Quote: Originally posted by beosboxboy
nancyw41 and funkeymonkey22003: there is a phone hack (contained in a yellow recolour of the burglar alarm) that also does auto-greet visitors, caller-id, and will set the ringer to off or a certain number. Look for that in your small electronics, if it's there or you use it I suggested moderating some caution on its use.

There may also be something corrupt in your character-, family-, or lot-file (happens mostly if you exit/save the lot while the Sim is using a cell-phone).

Sometimes I have corrected this sort of BHAV problem by forcing an error in debug mode, sometimes not - I most often end up moving the family out of the lot then moving them into a nother lot; but even this has not been 100% foolproof. About 50% of the time over-all, I end up nuking the whole neighbourhood and starting over.

I re-installed my game. It's still happening. If there is something wrong with my EP, you'd think it would have shown up from the beginning. I'll try the de-bug mode. Thanks so much for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Update 7:30
YEAH!!!! My simmies are talking on the phone again! Thank you so much for your advice. I was ready to quit playing! Thanks again.

Just a regular person
Test Subject
#163 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by athene
Since the Grim Reaper does not appear on Cow Plant deaths, you can't pleade for thier lives.

I don't know about that. Since I had it there, it's eaten over 20 people. I used the phone thing and brought back 20 of them. My people were poor so they are zombies.

Now I have a zombie fraternity.
Test Subject
#164 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 12:35 AM
My gripe is the way they made the game so that you can't really rezone the lots. There is a cheat, but after using it, the stupid lot will not load in live play. I made two wonderful lots and cannot use them because they didn't make a way to rezone like they did in Sims 1. I should be able to make what I want to make. I've tried to make a dorm and it didn't work. I don't know about tearing down one of their ready made ones. I imagine that would work, but I wanted the largest lot for a dorm. I made a dorm and it doesn't work. When moving students in, when the stupid thing finally loads, the students aren't there. Exit back to the neighborhood, the green sim thingy shows over the "dorm," but they aren't there when you go back in the lot. Maxis could have made a way to rezone without cheats. I don't like their dorms, they are ugly.

Community lots $9.95, Residential Lots $7.99, Marble floors up to $99.00 per square. Remodel your home and get your paint at www.The-sims-house-designer.com
Instructor
#165 Old 2nd May 2005 at 7:42 AM
Hi Hysterical,

Just thought I'd let you know that after being in daily contact (back & forth) with Maxis for a week now and sending them the dxdiag.txt they asked for they've determined that there's an unknown conflict between my motherboard and the game, that they have no clue what to do about. Since my computer runs all my other software fine, IF it's "conflict" on the motherboard, it's ONLY with the game and not a serious conflict. Since they don't know the conflict is, I sure as heck don't. That's all I know and I guess the only way to solve that problem is either not play TS2 at all or change the motherboard. But if I do, will I still have a problem? I don't know. I know one thing though, I'm getting fed up and tired of spending money trying to make this game work.

netseeker2
Field Researcher
#166 Old 2nd May 2005 at 8:52 PM Last edited by wiccadwitch : 24th May 2005 at 8:45 AM. Reason: new information
Quote: Originally posted by athene
I have seen this problem before with the newspaper, and a download was the culprit in that case. Try removing all custom content to the Desktop and see if that resolves the issue. The user I helped decided to keep the file and just use the computer to find a job...

I decied I like dthat idea because I didnt want to have to sort through all my downloads trying to find the file responsible for the problem. Unfortunately for me this inability to look for a job extends to computers. So basically whether it is a newspaper or computer when I tell them to look for a job they start then stand up and complain with a thought bubble containing a chair over their heads. I have tried removing all custom chairs from the lot(not from the game yet) I have tried changing out computers for ones with no modifications including color. I have at this time removed the few custom careers I had that were uni compatible just in case.

Another problem I am experiencing that I have dealt with in the past is I do have a career giving me the continuous load issue that must have gotten installed with some custom content recently...not sure how I use the cleaninstaller so I just must have missed something somewhere. This issue I know how to get around though it is annoying and I cant seem to find the offender to delete it in my downloads. So if anyone knows any good tricks for isolating these things I would greatly appreciate it.

Back to my job hunting problem if anyone has any ideas besides removing all my downloads I would love to hear them. If there is no other way I guess I will have to bite the bullet but I would very much like to avoid the tedious process of sifting through all my downloads one at a time to figure out which one is causing my sims to be unable to look for a job via newspaper or computer.

Okay I finally found at least one culprit for the job problem. The study computer hack was the cause of my sims not being able to use the computer to look for a job. I need to check to see if removing it also fixed the newspaper. Anyway if anyone has this hack and is having this problem removing it might fix you as it did me.
Field Researcher
#167 Old 2nd May 2005 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by funkeymonkey22003
Not sure if this is because I have a couple of mods installed or if it is Uni :
My sims go to the phone to answer a call, you know the other person in on line because you see the little baloon with them in it. And my sim doesn't talk anymore they used to strut and rant while on the phone I loved that, now they just stand there like morons, I have to tell them to hang up.

I have one house where I am experiencing this problem also.
#168 Old 3rd May 2005 at 8:13 AM
I have a question...i'm new to this forum so i'm not sure if i'm doin the rite thing or writing in the correct thread...buh newaiz...i was wondering...how come when i make a lot into a dorm...and thn i play it...i cant go to class or do any college stuff on the computer???...mayb the game hates me or sumfing...lolz...newaiz....plz can sum1 help???...thanks :confused: :confused:
#169 Old 7th May 2005 at 3:37 AM
Default Weird...
hei...
i was wondering y wen i make a lot into a dorm...i cant seem to get my sim to class...the "go to class" option is gone...and also the "college" options on the computer are all gone too...can some1 plz help me? :confused: :confused: ...thanks so much
Test Subject
#170 Old 7th May 2005 at 4:09 AM
With the Sims 1 I could never get all of the ones on my computer. When I played it somthing ALWAYS went wrong. :mad:
Test Subject
#171 Old 7th May 2005 at 9:22 PM
I looked all over and couldn't find anything. My problem is when my sims go downtown the icon for the particular sim shows with the taxi underneath it but the screen stays black and you can hear the noises but there is nothing but a black screen. Any suggestions?
Test Subject
#172 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:39 PM
Only when I make a young adult family it loads half way after I make them and it says "This application has crashed, It will not terminate." Sure, I can play normal sims 2, but I want to play Uni!
Field Researcher
#173 Old 8th May 2005 at 5:58 PM Last edited by Garkman : 8th May 2005 at 6:15 PM.
Hello....How you doing everybody....

Well after checking several post here, i could not find the answer to my bug /problem (really i read a lot). At the very beginning I thought there would be an official patch for that. But ok, let us start driscribing the issue:

I have my sims 2 uni hack less and mod less. The only custom content I added (I tested this with or without customs skins) are just only skins.
Well everything works perfect but when I play in a dorm (not greek house or residencial), and I invite a person with my cell phone o telephone i tell her/him to come. He comes but instead of interacting with me or any other objects, the only thing the invited wants to do is go into a townie room. It remains stuck. I realize of it when I press f2. If I use move objects on and move him outside the room, still stuck. Same thing happened with townies that live in the dorm. They spent whole days long lock in there rooms, just globes pulling up (need class, need fun).

With this bug/problem i cant invite nobody to study o spend some time just only in a dorm... Thx so much for reading

P/D: I tried also to solve the issue, by reinstalling both games from the very beginning, even windows XP
Test Subject
#174 Old 8th May 2005 at 6:01 PM
i haven't plaed the game much, to buisy building stuff. but what i have noticed is everyone keeps going in my sims rooms even if i lock the doors. it's like every couple seconds i have to keep making them look the door. only thing so far that i have noticed.
Test Subject
#175 Old 8th May 2005 at 6:02 PM
sorry really bad at typing. i am the typo queen.
Page 7 of 8